ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tail light tinting

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Not everyones cup of tea I know, but I'd like to do this to my tail light on my silver 172 a bit similar to in the below pictures

IMG00083-20080927-1329.gif

IMG00082-20080927-1328.gif

When its doesnt seem like I can buy any like this as standard I need to tint them myself.

Has anyone done this before and can advise on whats the best way (apart from pulling a pair of tights over them)

I've heard it can be done by:-
1. Getting tinting film and applying to the light
2. Spraying with a tinting spray.

I am assuming the latter might mean you'd have to sand the surface of the lights slighty.

I dont want to do this to the originals so unsure if I should by some black lexus stlye ones and tint those like on K-tec here, or just tint a pair of the standard ones (though a darker tint might be required as they are not as clear a lexus style ones)

Any help appreciated

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
getting itchy about buying some lights and tinting, but realy want to hear a few peoples thoughts before I choose the method to tint, and also if i should tint standard lights or some black lexus style lights

^turns out those above are tinted black lexus lights bought from new...now discontinued so I'd have to get them clear and then tint

c2_black_1.jpg

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
films a good idea its a tad bit more expencive that spray but alot easyer.

lamin-x.co.uk

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Get them professionally done at a bodyshop, mix loads of laquer with some paint and then spray them. Means the reflector will still be working and you will end up with some very tinted lights.

Heres my first clio with spray tinted lights...

P5280013.jpg

Cost me £30 to get done :)

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
there is a guy on tintenet said he will do them for £20 (don't think that includs postage back)

Thought I'm guessing its best not to even cover the reflecter at all as as far as I know that is the bit where the law is hard on.

its really simple bud

doesnt the film stay down and not likely to come of after washing/car washing etc. Films like that are usually designed for the inside of windows thats all. Have you tried this with clio MK2 lights?

spray painting professioanlly or with a can of tinting stuff on the face of it sound easy and perhaps youve a bit more control over how dark you make them, with tints your stuck with what you bought

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
The reflectors are the part the MOT and Police are tough on, although its really how much light is let through the tint too... Mine were far, far too tinted in hind-sight now, but I never had any problems with the law at all.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Iv got some black lexus lights for sale :p and u cant be tht far from me living in cumbria ;)

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Iv got some black lexus lights for sale :p and u cant be tht far from me living in cumbria
Cool!

What style are they?

are they like either of these? or the ones on the blue car above?
AFX-CLIO2-BL.jpg

i live in Ulverston By the way

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
The reflectors are the part the MOT and Police are tough on, although its really how much light is let through the tint too... Mine were far, far too tinted in hind-sight now, but I never had any problems with the law at all.

i just don't want to be a pig magnet. i wont be going for a tint as dark as yours, but still might think it look a bit crap having a corner not tinted and the rest is tinted. i.e. a smoked look but with this bright red reflector still on show.

Maybe i'll do that bit in seperate tinting film with the rest either tinted/paint so I can remove it on MOT day and if the pigs are unhappy

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Like the ones on the blue car mate

Whats the condition and price? Bearing in mind I can get them £40 delivered new - happy to PM you the link if you dont believe me.

Where about are you in Cumbira i.e would it be cheaper to pick up rather than post.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
there is a guy on tintenet said he will do them for £20 (don't think that includs postage back)

Thought I'm guessing its best not to even cover the reflecter at all as as far as I know that is the bit where the law is hard on.

doesnt the film stay down and not likely to come of after washing/car washing etc. Films like that are usually designed for the inside of windows thats all. Have you tried this with clio MK2 lights?

spray painting professioanlly or with a can of tinting stuff on the face of it sound easy and perhaps youve a bit more control over how dark you make them, with tints your stuck with what you bought

i have the fil on my headlights fogs and rear lights its ment for the exterior

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
they were on my car for 3-4months so there in quite good condition i only want £30 for them, i live in cockermouth bout 30miles from carlisle

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
they were on my car for 3-4months so there in quite good condition i only want £30 for them, i live in c**kermouth bout 30miles from carlisle

How come you are taking them off? when you say quite good i guess they have a few scratches nicks on them.

To be honest I think I rather pay £10 and get them new when I think they come with the bulb housing at the rear and new indicator bulbs. £26 delivered and I'd have them.

its not worth a 1hr 15min drive to cokermouth to get them - cumbrian roads are sh*te arent they!

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
i have the fil on my headlights fogs and rear lights its ment for the exterior

yes, just realised you posted a link earlier to lamin-x.co.uk.

i was thinking you meant regular window tint, thought I doubt their stuff is much different.

Looks like the film is the best way to go.

think gun smoke (13%) on the rear and Subtletint (6%) on the front might be the way to go seen as its a no no to do the front, but its noticeable enough that you can tell their tinted without going crazy.

What have you got on yours then

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
How come you are taking them off? when you say quite good i guess they have a few scratches nicks on them.

To be honest I think I rather pay £10 and get them new when I think they come with the bulb housing at the rear and new indicator bulbs. £26 delivered and I'd have them.

its not worth a 1hr 15min drive to cokermouth to get them - cumbrian roads are sh*te arent they!

thers 1-2 small scratches on them, ud have to see them rlly.
if u can get them new for that much then do that mate, and for the record cumbrian roads FTMFW (Well Some :cool:)

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Don't use tint film, it won't bend the right way around the curves of the lights.

shut up you muppit :approve: were talkin lamin-x its for lights.

Rear lights Red (standard Ph2 lights with the white bit covered)
IMG_7761.jpg

Front lights and Fogs
IMG_7824.jpg

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Yep, used tinting spray outta a can too... Its easy enough to do, but gives a kinda matte look on the lights. Means you can apply as much/little as you want though, just spray them over evenly on both lights. Take the clusters out and spray on...easy :)