ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tailpipe Preference - Hidden Or Not

R

rich[182]

Anyone else out there with same problem deciding whether or not to get hidden tailpipe or not ? I cant make my mind up, damn.

Before getting 172 Mk2 it was a must for me to get twin 3" or 3.5" at the rear but in the month Ive had it I like the discreetness of the rear & dont want to spoil the rear end - Most hot hatches I see have big pipes and the 172 is more subtle than the majority - Nice to be different

Dont mind the noise from an after market zorst but cant chuffin decide on tailpipes or NOT ??

Am I the only one...........

Mk2 Golf GTI

personally i prefer the tailpipe showing, but cut into the bumper instead of just chucked underneath! I was thinking of getting one of the heatshield things out of the new 182 rear bumper and getting it fitted into my bumper so that it looks factory fit.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

on a 172 i prefer the no exhaust look

however i dont have much choice

E36 323i coupe

No mate, youre not the only one. I want a noise to match my performance, but I am not sure I want something sticking ou the back end... and am especially not wanting a visible back box. Tail pipe/s maybe, but hate the idea of the back box itself being visible.

i prefer it when you can see a nice looking tailpipe that isnt OTT. my backbox on mine was visible when i bought the car, even though it sits flush etc. i put the old front splitter onto the back bumper and cut out the space for the tailpipe to sit in. all you can see now is the tailpipe. imo it looks very smart and not too silly.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I like the hidden style too, but if you could do a tail pipe that just stuck out and was cut into the bumper so the backbox was hidden then that would be sweet too.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

I like the poss power gain and the sound of an aftermarket exhaust but i like the idea of no tailpipe showin!

I think that Ktec are or have designing/ed a "stealth" aftermarket exhaust. Prepared to be shot down on that tho!

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Not cut the bumper but Ive got a nice tail piece showing out of the back of my car, and you cant see the backbox at all.

Most people I know would ask where my exhaust was when looking at the car...

Mk2 Golf GTI

im not a fan of the 182 zaust. but like i said above, it could be good to get one of the heatshields and incorporate this into a standard bumper for that factory fit look

S2 106 Rallye

Now that WOULD be different!! Maybe K-Tec could develope one as they already produce one for the 5GTT

Hidden for me.

I like the understated looks from the back. People think you are in a normal Clio & get a big shock when they try to overtake you ;)

I also like the fact that I can leave it in a car park & it doesnt attract the wrong type of attention.

Darren

Fabia vRS

Side Exit! very unique... I personally prefer the cut out bumper slightly and have it showing..

How about side exit n flamer kit, just wait till an anoying scooter pulls up at the side of u and.........bam take that!! lol (only if ur into that kinda thing of course :p)

(Jim goes bak to fantasy land)

R

rich[182]

Just been on K-Tecs website - They have a picture of a silver 172 mk2 with a lower rear spoiler fitted, painted with a cut out for the twin 3" tailpipes - It looks cool and doesnt look too "aftermarket" and you can only see the pipes NOT the backbox - Its about £160 exc painting, cutout & fitting though so its not gonna be much change outa £300 !! Would prob involve rivoting or bonding to original bumper so its prob not a reversible mod either.

Lee

BMW M2C

Personally Id rather mine was hidden, but having driven a 172 with a standard exhaust over Christmas I couldnt live without the noise anymore. I never thought Id ever say that!!!

Id even prefer it cut into the bumper, but I have no intention of chopping the bumper as the standard exhaust will be going back on when I change the car.

http://www.leemather.plus.com/images/Newclio/Magnex_08.jpg

Its CharlieCups car (him and his brother seem to go to just about every RWYB day at York), but I hardly ever seem him use the forum. IIRC, the exhaust is an Orbisound, but I wouldnt swear to this.

I think he lives in Sheffield actually, so if you can get hold of him you could have a look.

Dont think there is one is there?

You almost need to buy one and chop the tailpipes off!!

Hayward and Scott and other custom builders that already do exhausts for the 172 may be the best people to talk to in terms of doing a one off with hidden tailpipes.

Quote: Originally posted by livio on 04 January 2004

who makes the best after market hidden zorst for the 172 mk2

Hillpower do a really nice one, as do Hayward & Scott.

Ktec are just in the process of developing one.

cheers rhys thanks alot mate...think that looks really mint on that car for sure..how did your meet go today with abbs? did you do any races/timings etc...