ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Taking apart the Headlight.

1.2 16v
Hi Everyone,

So, not long had my car and i've got all sorts of Ideas running through my mind about what i can do, not only to improve really but to add my own personal Touch.

What i've got in mind is to take the Entire casing of the headlight off... and place a bendy strip of LED running light inside of it, instead of having it sitting outside of it to make it more clean and even. Now i know alot of you don't like running lights, Audi wannabe etc, but i actually really like them. I think if you get the right balance of location/brightness/ammount they can actually look good! And on the Clio 2 because the light is kind of curved on the bottom, it's got potential!

So, does anyone have the knowledge of how i can do this? Also, if i did this, would it be OK when it come to MOT time? They would be away from the main headlights obviously, and i'd set it to turn off when the main headlights are actually turned on anyway. Use them just when the sidelights are on hopefully!

Cheers Guys,

Will be putting up a progress thread soon when i get started and this rain subsides and nicks off!

-Craig

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I believe putting them in the oven is the way to go. No idea on temp or time. Risky though from what I've read. You can go from softening the adhesive to melting the light cluster pretty quickly.

ITB BG 182
Cut a thin line around the edge, use a very strong glue remover and put in the cut, you'll need to keep topping it up.

WHEN youve split it, youll need tiger seal to do a proper job of fixing in place again.

1.2 16v
Ah great. So it's not just clipped together then. Would i nee to take the whole head unit out? (if I didn't wanna stick it in the oven that is) :p lol I burn my food, wouldn't risk this :p hmmm, probably, as I've got to feed the wire through, sounds like a bumper off job too? Looks like I'll be booking time off work :(

Any info on wether this would fail an not? It wouldn't be blocking light or anything.

Cherrs for the info guys.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
10 minutes at 150 should be enough. You don't want to put stress marks on the glass/plastic. I wouldn't bother putting LEDs in it though. It'll just look bad imo.

1.2 16v
Haha thanks lads, heat gun sounds like a more viable option! Well, before I even do anything I've got to tidy my headlights up cause' they're at the 'yellow' stage, some wet + dry, elbow grease an lick of wax an it'll be done!

Last time I tried to place a piece of electronics in the oven... I completely ruined my brand new blackberry! All because I thought it would dry out. Turns out it like to warp snap and pop it's screen.. Wasn't even in long :( bout all it's use for really.

Any ideas on the likelyhood of it failing my MOT?

Those of you who think this will tub out bad, how do you not like them? :p it's better than having them stick out. I think what I'll do is first 'try' them on he outside obviously and if they are how I picture in my mind, I'll go ahead and place them inside the light!