ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Talk cameras to me?

MK3, 1.2. 16V
So, my girlfriends 21st is coming up and she's looking for a new camera. She already has a Nikon One but the lens is too large for her to carry about in those small bags the female species like to take to gigs etc.. So she's looking for just a digital camera with no lens and that can also take videos. Not looking to buy some cheap argos special, looking for a proper good quality camera. So what's recommended?

If money is no object the Sony RX100 is top of the pile as far as compacts go, the original is £350 on Amazon, the newest version is double that.

The Panasonic LX7 would probably be next, about £280 on Amazon.

Clio RS 172 2002
Canon S100/110/120 is also in the same class as the LX7. The Sony rx100s have a relatively huge sensor and are in a class of their own. All of these are probably more than is necessary.

I used a Panasonic FH1 for many years and for the price it is superb. Very compact and quite cheap. The equivalent today would be the FH10.

MK3, 1.2. 16V
Budget, about £400! Could maybe stretch it if there was something special!

I had a look at the RX100! It seems to get really excellent reviews. Problem is I really couldn't tell the difference between whether it's £400 because it's good or because it's Sony. With regards to the LX7, it looks like it has a built in lens much like the Nikon One she already has so will probably be too big. The S120 looks like a good shout to me but what's the reason for the £200 price difference between that and the RX100?

The RX100 is expensive because the sensor is big, the lens is top notch and it's very well built. I follow a few guys on Flickr who use them, really lovely look from the photos.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
i got myself a canon sx170 - for 99 quid from argos . for the price its brillaint. you tube the videos