ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tansfering data from old mac to new?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i have purchased a new macbook pro... which will be here next week, now i have alot of work on my macbook black to much to just stick on a flash drive and swap over...

is there a way i can transfer my entire data (minus programs) over to the new mac easy?? like songs, files etc??

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
im sure there is a specific mac way, tom or someone will know... sure u can do it with a program already on the mac....

DMS

A thirsty 172
Connect both Macs together with a Firewire cable. If your old Mac has Firewire 800 that'll be the best way of doing it, or if not FW400 will do fine.
Start up your old Mac and hold down the T key on the keyboard straight away. That'll put it into target disk mode. You'll see a little Firewire symbol dancing around the screen which will indicate that you've done it correctly.
Start up your new MBP for the first time and it'll ask you if you want to migrate your applications and settings. Choose Yes (or Next, can't remember) and choose which user you want to migrate over, and let the MBP do the rest. Easy.

get them both on the network, it will ask you when you install it / port it over

theres lots of help out there and apple guides, do a quick google :) its built in so is very very easy!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
im sure there is a specific mac way, tom or someone will know... sure u can do it with a program already on the mac....

buy an external hard drive/ borrow one.

plug in and set it as your time machine drive

back all your comp up to the time machine

When you get your new mac, boot from the osx disk that comes with it.

Plug in the hard drive (time machine)

click on utilities > Restore system from a back up.

select the time machine volume you have plugged in to it > Restore.

voila your mac will now contain exactly the same s**t/settings/volume EVERYTHING it did on your old one :)

EDIT. Or use migration assistant :eek:

After looking at migration assistant it appears that this would be the best way to do it VIA a time machine back up as to transfer from mac to mac you will need one of those special usb cable things.

so click migration assistant > transfer using time machine backup

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
LOL @ Mac users

Srsly, you need an instruction manual to move files from one to another? :p
took me about 10 mins to work out how to uninstall a programme...

you drag it to the recycle bin... ;) Windows making things complicated ftl

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i dont want to do file by file lol i have 120gb of stuff i need to ship over... hence i wanted to know how to do the migration thingy :) still waiting for my new mbp to turn up though :/

Ph1 172 + Combo van
When i got the new mac during the setup it asked do you want to transfer existing stuff from and old mac. Fire wire cable between them and it done it on its own. IIRC it took about 30mins.

Yaris
Wow there are a lot of answers to this question making it more difficult that it has to be. Just make sure you have a FireWire 800-400 cable for when it arrives.

Start it up and the Leopard Setup assistant will guide you through the way. (Your Mac will do all the hard work for you)

Enjoy it when it arrives

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
got the firewire cable today went to a apple shop, said i need a firewire cable... ok he says 10 quid... oh whats it for...

i said to migrate from my macbook to a new one... oh what macbook? a macbook black i reply to a new macbook pro...

oh he says.... off he goes comes back, yeh thats 20 quid!

i asked if i could take it back as im gonna use it once lol..... NOPE :( ghey! 20 quid for a friggin cable...

on a side note anyone wanna buy a macbook black? lol

Apple Cable Tax is ALWAYS massive..

However, did you get it in the see-through Apple packaging? Awesome... :D

However, as much as I love Apple design and marketing etc, I'd never buy a cable from them (unless it was a Mini DisplayPort -> VGA/DVI or something) ;)