ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tapping after dephaser pulley changed

clio sport 182
hi guys,

i recently had my dephaser pulley changed on the 182 and since then it has sounded ticky from the engine. originaly i thought it was more like a exhaust manifold gasket but i removed the engine cover yesterday and its coming from the cams. i have checked the oil which is fine.

the only concern i have is that when i picked the car up after the pulley being replaced the guy told me that the timing had been ever so slightly out and not hearing this tap noise before over the rattle of the pulley i dont know how long it has been going on.

so i was just wondering if anybody else has tappy cams?

cherers.

clio sport 182
i looked on the forum for lacal garages but didnt find these guys. i still want some work doing so i will definatly give these guys a call. thanks for the heads up.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
There shouldn't be any "Tapping" or "Ticking" noises other than those of the charcole canisters purge valve and you shouldn't really be able to hear that over the noise of the engine.

I'm assuming that the garage fitted a brand new dephaser and not a "yeah mate honest, its good" second hand part. Did they replace the timing belt kit at the same time as the dephaser? If not, that is the most likely problem and the tensioner is gonna be the most likely cause of the fault. If they did replace the belt kit, it could still be the tensioner as a few of us have had issues with non-genuine units that have cost us in the end.

Mick

clio sport 182
i ordered some brake lines and fluid through the forum which came yesterday so they need fitting, got air-con probs and do they do mapping?

clio sport 182
the parts where all genuine and new because i bought them myself to claim the vat back and my uncles mate is a top notch mechanic who did the work cheap for me. the cam belt kit was changed about 15000-18000 miles ago so i just had a new cam and aux belt not the full kit. the noise is definatly coming from under the inlet manifold tho. =/

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'm not knocking the guys work cos it might be spot on but when somone uses the words "mechanic" and "cheap" in the same sentance as "Timing Belt" and "changed" I wince a little.

Did he carry out an oil and filter change before running up the new dephaser? There's a few possibles but the job ideally needs to be pulled down again then i'm afraid to be 100% sure but i'm betting the tensioner isn't right.

Mick

clio sport 182
oh fiddle sticks, not what i wanted to hear lol.

no it didnt have a oil change prior to the work done.

im not saying he is the best mechanic in the world but he stripped his blown up supercharged atom down and rebuilt with new engine block in less than a week (working on it when he could fit it round customers) so personaly i felt like he knew his stuff.

ill have a chat with the birchdown ppl as gaz-kev said there only up the road from me.

thanks for your advice again

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
He might know his stuff which is why I don't like to **** people off without seeing their work but what is his knowledge/experience like on the Renault F4R as its a simple yet tricky bugger to work with if you don't know it.

I had a car in today that kept popping the headlamp fuses since a car stereo was fitted by her Dad... "he's an Aircraft engineer so should know what he's on with". Didn't stop him wiring it up wrong though as the +12v feed has now burnt all the way thru the main dash loom and melted the multiplugs at both ends... stick to what you know is the moral of the story!

Mick

ITB'd MK1
hard to know what the noise is you're hearing, but the injectors can be very ticky. I've changed dephasers before and the tick of injectors becomes apparent. Worth a look/listen