ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tapping and clunk

Can anyone help??

My cup has done 1500 miles and Ive just noticed a tapping noise that occurs on idle sometimes when I rev the engine a little it idles perfectly then after approx. 15 sec it starts again. Is this normal????

Also when I brake then lift off the pedal there is a clunk noise. Should this happen?

Please help!

Quote: Originally posted by SWEET172CUP on 20 February 2004

Also when I brake then lift off the pedal there is a clunk noise. Should this happen?

Please help!
If you get a clunk on the drivers side front when you are in first or second gear, say crawling in traffic, and back off accelerator abruptly without braking, its probably the engine mount - large one on drivers side at top of engine. Ive had this and spoke to a reno techy who seemed to know 172s/Cups - theyve found that some of the mounts are too soft and so allow too much movement, which causes the "clunk".

The clunk happens when a lift off the break pedal.

As for the tappets. They only sound like this on the odd occation and when I put the revs on and then go back to idle this make the noise stop. Is this serious?