ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tar remover?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
how do i know if i need some of this? what is tar? whats it look like?

looking to give the car some serious cleaning.

can anyone help :)

bmw m3
mate its small black spots generally along the bottom halves of a car, claying can take car of the tiny specs but for larger stubborn spots autosmart tardis is prop the best out there imo

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
You'll know when ou've got a tar problem lad.

Looks like this BTW (excuse the rest of the dirt on there :eek:)
IMGP1130.jpg

Shed.
black clumps of black s**t.

Can use clay to reove it or you could use a tar remover. Halfords do Autoglym tar remover but there are better available like Tardis which can be found at polished bliss.

it's just the bitumen/tar from recently resurfaced roads - gets thrown along the bottom of the sides of the car. you can wipe it off with petrol if you don't fancy spending £5 on 325ml of Autoglym's tar remover

Ph1 172 + Combo van
if its not left on for ages then it should just pick off really. mine just pics off then wipe with a cloth and it comes off with no effort at all. if you do it often then you wont need to use harsher action when it builds up!

106 GTi
After seeing what petrol does do paint today - ie removing it - I would not suggest using it as a tar remover - does a nice job of removing paint from the inside of the race car though!

106 GTi
On contact as it leaked out of the fuel pump, as we wiped it away it took paint with it !

Red 197 & Laguna S-T
After seeing what petrol does do paint today - ie removing it - I would not suggest using it as a tar remover - does a nice job of removing paint from the inside of the race car though!

I wouldn't try it tbh, just someone else on here (Henry) said you can wipe it off with petrol :eek:

you're not going to wipe your paint off with petrol; it's common to see discolouration of paintwork around filler caps due to neglect (it polishes out) but you don't ever see bare metal. it must be that the lacquer protects.

use tar remover if you're worried - although i would have thought some are petroleum based anyway - ?