ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tax validity Private -> Original plate

Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. I m currently in the process of buying a 172. The current owner has sold with tax valid until december which is obviously a bonus. Now the car currently is registered to a private plate and will be retained by the present owner. She has returned the neccessary documentation to the DVLA so im told, yet not the tax disk which remains with the car.

My question is, once the plate tranferal has been completed and registered (documents returned), will this tax still be valid? Im told it should be, yet i will need to return to the post office. Is the process as simple as re-issuing a new disk for the now original registration to be valid?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Da

Less

Yeah, once the transfer is complete a new tax disc will be issued through the post (to whoever is still registered keeper) and then the old one will simply be cancelled and useless.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

godster ring me ill tell u about private plates and tax discs, i did it about 3 weeks ago 07841 611869

Cheers for your help boys. Like i just told Clarkie, im not sure that she has returned anything to do with the tax disk. Probably didnt think about it at the time.....

She did say she enclosed details about her tax though, not sure what she meant by that?

Any idea hows quickly we should expect that process to take and recieve the documents back?....gagging to get her on the road as you can imagine.

Da

Less

all depends which plates are on the car mate, are they the original ones? If so to drive on public road with normal plates but personal plate on tax disc could be classed as illegal. Whos still the registered keeper? When i put my private plate on, it took around a week from sending my old V5 off to receiving new one with new tax disc.

Sorry its a bit confusing mate. I will be picking up the car once she has recieved back documentation and changed the plate back to its original. The private plate is hers and will be going on her new car. At this point the car will still presumably be registered in her name. Now from here im not too sure what to do....l.

Technically the vehicle is still taxed but the currently displayed disk will display the private reg. Unless despite her not sendign the disk back the DVLA will automatically return a new disk valid for the same period but for the new registration?

When I re-registered mine at the DVLA local office, they issued me a new tax disk there and then.

She should be doing this so the tax disk will show the details of the new registration.

Its illegal for the registration and tax disk not to match.

As far as i know mate the disk is still on the car. She seems to think she has sent off details of the tax though. These have been posted due to distance i presume. Im wondering if they can still issue a new disk though without her sending back the original? Am i going to hafto take a hike to the nearest DVLA office?

Anyone else know much about transfering plates, time-scales where posted to the DVLA and where i stand in regards to the tax?

This is what happens (Ive just done it this week!):

1. The owner of the car applies to the local DVLA office to put the plate on retention, by sending them form V778/1 and the V5 registration document.

2. Within two or three days, the DVLA office sends back a V948 Number Plate Authorisation Certificate, which shows the replacement number - this allows the owner to have new plates made/fitted. The DVLA also sends a new tax disc, showing the new registration, but expiring at the same time as the old one. Accompanying this is a letter explaining that the owner must return the old tax disc in the envelope provided.

3. Once the old tax disc is received by DVLA, they will send the new V5 showing the new registration. They say that you should allow 4 - 8 weeks for this to arrive, during which time you should have the car available for inspection, and not sell it.

Hope this helps!

Cheers for the info. Does this change slightly where the plate is not being put into retention and is simply going straight to another vehicle?

Also where do i stand as the purchaser? The understanding is that i will collect once the documents are returned and the plates have been switched. This is estimated to be around two weeks?

Not sure, as mines on retention, but Id imagine the procedure would be the same. Strictly speaking, the owner is not meant to sell the car until they have the new V5 (which according to DVLA, takes 4 - 8 weeks), but they may be happy to do so before it arrives, although theyd be in trouble in the unlikely event that DVLA wants to inspect the car - just make sure that youre happy to buy a car without a registration document, as the original one has to be sent to DVLA.

I think Id be happier paying a holding deposit, then the balance on collection of the car, compete with all docs in order.

I doubt she will complete the sale until the documentation is returned in full. I have paid a holding deposit and the balance is to be paid on collection of the vehicle. Guess this may take longer than expeted....she suggested a couple of weeks :(

Im just quoting the DVLAs letter I received (V803) - maybe its a case of "under promise, over deliver", and itll arrive much quicker. Either way, I know thay dont start processing the new V5 application until they receive the old tax disc back, so you might want to make sure the seller has returned it.

Good luck!

Hope it doesnt take that long. Not going to part with the money until im happy with the car and documentation though.

Didnt realise this could be such a long-winded process!

Always best to visit the local DVLA office I find.

One stop shop and all that :D

She could do it all in a few minutes.

Still wont produce a new V5 though - that has to come from Swansea. Although I used the post, I have to say that my local office (Maidstone) sent me the new tax disc and number plate authorisation form within 3 days of me applying, so no complaints there.

2005 Impreza WRX STI

i just went to dvla in a day jobbie!they give u new one there n then. i dont think it will take long to sort mate by post!hold in there!!!:D