ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TDC Sensor

200SX S13
Can someone explain to me what the TDC (Top Dead Centre) sensor does, and why it fails in the cold weather?

Thanks.

TCD sensor, or CAS (crank angle) sensor provides the ecu with crank position information. Its either a hall effect or variable reluctor and uses a pulsed feed to provide the ecu with rpm information, and uses a missing tooth or teeth on the trigger wheel to refence a certain position on the crank, (usually 90 deg before tdc).

I've not seen one fail because of cold weather, and if one does fail, the engine wont run at all.

Clio 182 Trophy
i had the same prob, my car was very diificult to start in the cold. i took it to renualt and they use the clip and said i needed a new tdc sensor (£124 sj cook bristol) so decided not to replace becasue i thought i was a bit expensive for a sensor.

4 weeks later the ignition coil broke so i got i fixed and the other replaced 3 aswell by SJ Cook bristol free of charge which i was very gratefull as my car was no longer under warrenty.:D

my car didnt run properly for the next month and half i wasnt sure why until i took it to Mike at RenTech for the 36k service. He used his clip and said renault hadnt cleared the errors from when the ignition coil broke so my car thinking it still had a problem with the coil. in my case it wasnt the sensor but you could try cleaning the connectors on the sensor and make sure they are conncted properly and check the ignotion coils they are a know fault, the new coils are grey instead of black.

now my car is running very smoothly and starts every time in the cold. thanks again to Mike

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi, the TDC sensor just detect like Ben said the crank position so if it fail just do not start the car and no problems with cold start problems due is a simple magnet so or detect or no detect, and in most cases the real problem is the TDC conector

DSC08071.jpg

Arn

2002 1.2 16v Clio
Mine was playing up, got it replaced yesterday. All better now :) threw it in to a garage to get it done tho. £50 all in.

MK2 PH2 Clio 1.poverty
it is mate but for the price and peace of mind of a new one cos they are common i would just but a new one