ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Temp guage...

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
50,000 miles of hard driving - track days, fast road etc... Not a problem apart from a set of new tyres and the odd oil change, until now. My temperature guage has always read just above central but in the last couple of weeks it's fluctuated between the above and just below. I know there has been a lot talked about this in various threads - can anyone give me a definitive answer? I've wiggled the wires and I've squirted them with W.D. all to no avail, do you think it's the sender?
Car by the way is a 2005 182 Cup.
Thanks.

Clio 182
How do you mean above and just below.........
Do you mean fluctuating between halfway and just below... if so this seems normal to me

Evo 6, E92 320d
If its moving alot then it may just need a new sender, if however you mean it sits1/2 way all the time(like mine even when the electrics are turned off) it may be a funked dial.

Everything is as normal on warm-up but from there the needle moves from just above to just below centre. Up until now the needle has remained rock-solid just above central on the guage which is the same as my friends Trophy and my previos car, a Clio 172.

Clio 182 Trophy
My temperature guage started fluctuating above and below the centre point. did this for a couple of days then it started to get worst and the engine started to rev itself and would not idle properly. It was a faulty coolant temperature sensor, its a common fault on clios.
The engine revs itself because the sensor tells the ecu that the engine is cold, therefor increasing the revs slightly. Mine became totally un driveable and would keep cutting out.

Have noticed the revs are slightly higher when the guage reads cooler and I'm guessing the sender and sensor are one and the same, which means the economy will suffer. I can't see the part being expensive so I think I will replace and as the service is due I'll treat it to some new coolent also. Thanks for your help. Cheers.

RSC 182 Cup
Mine failed on my 2005 182 Cup about 6 months ago. I picked it up when data logging with an RS Tuner, the temp would sit at -30 odd and then suddenly jump up to the correct reading. I only noticed the gauge vary a couple of times. It would also only do it randomly.

They replaced the sender and it hasn't done it since. I did notice it was idling rougher sometimes around when it happened but never actually figured something was intermittent.