ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Temperature gauge

2003 Clio 172
So I had my thermostat and coolant temperature sensor changed a couple of weeks ago along with a complete coolant flush and change due to my temperature gauge dropping a notch or so from halfway, before rising again. This was usually happening on cold or wet mornings down a long hill. I noticed this morning it dropped again going downhill by around a notch, and took a couple of minutes to come back up afterwards. Any ideas what could be causing it? ?

OCD_Eng

ClioSport Club Member
  2004 Clio 182 FF
Got the same problem.

Fitted new thermostat and coolant during a large service. All was good for 100miles. Then it dropped a couple notches. Fitted new cts no improvement. Fitted another thermostat (And bled). Problem slightly better but obd reads a pretty constant 74degC. When parked system goes up to 99degC and fan kicks in to cool

Finding it hard to believe that i got given two dodgy thermostats from europcarparts.

2003 Clio 172
Got the same problem.

Fitted new thermostat and coolant during a large service. All was good for 100miles. Then it dropped a couple notches. Fitted new cts no improvement. Fitted another thermostat (And bled). Problem slightly better but obd reads a pretty constant 74degC. When parked system goes up to 99degC and fan kicks in to cool

Finding it hard to believe that i got given two dodgy thermostats from europcarparts.

Yeah it's very strange. The thermostat and CTS were both genuine Renault parts so is unlikely they're faulty. I'm wondering if maybe a small airlock could cause it, but failing that I'm all out of ideas.

OCD_Eng

ClioSport Club Member
  2004 Clio 182 FF
How many wires are there ment to be on the cts? Ive only got 2 wires, the 3rd looks like it's been cut. It's this normal?

2003 Clio 172
How many wires are there ment to be on the cts? Ive only got 2 wires, the 3rd looks like it's been cut. It's this normal?

I'm not sure tbh as had a garage fit mine. I'll have a look when I've got the bonnet up next and see how many wires there are on mine.

OCD_Eng

ClioSport Club Member
  2004 Clio 182 FF
Yeah it's very strange. The thermostat and CTS were both genuine Renault parts so is unlikely they're faulty. I'm wondering if maybe a small airlock could cause it, but failing that I'm all out of ideas.

I was thinking that but re bled system again yesterday and no improvement.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Had issues with cheap stats causing fluctuating coolant temps on other cars, get a genuine renault stat and go from there

OCD_Eng

ClioSport Club Member
  2004 Clio 182 FF
Been having a fiddle today. And working on the clio.

Tested the thermostat on the kitchen hob, opened and closed nicely around 88degC. So no problem there. Then I put the temp sensor in a cup of hot water whilst plugged in. OBD temp value was about 10deg lower than the kitchen thermometer... So I'm gonna change that again, I'll report back.