ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tessa gear shifter

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
So understanding there is some history over the inlet manifolds. But that to one side, anyone know anything about the Tessa Clio shifter? They look pretty cool, but other than that I can’t find any information. Do they use the standard linkage? Anyone know what the gear shift is like, are the completely s**t? Ignoring the standard response ‘just buy a PMS’ I’m genuinely interested on thoughts, or views as for €350 delivered they look decent value
1D2E67C7-0B9D-4B15-9446-952175D3D66E.png

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Still no info? I think they look really good, wouldn't mind that in my car, but a bit too much money just to test it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I’d be really interested in one of these!

is there a website/link?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I’d be really interested in one of these!

is there a website/link?
Nope, I have been speaking with him but he doesn’t give any informmation other than sending more bloody photos. They use the standard linkage, that’s as much as I have found out and are about £300
18055DBF-1CAC-43BA-BC32-A93BAF000491.jpeg
EE95B281-082A-4CF1-81CF-44471D305712.jpeg
D723E6DB-AB6A-42A2-96DB-2DF849974CE8.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2250.mp4
    9.3 MB

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know anyone that's run one but agree they look decent and if work well, would be a nice option vs a PMS.
My reservations would come from their previous history with parts/quality/support etc. They're not based in the UK either, so if you have any agro, its not like you can take it there and hit them with it lol. You'll also now be stung for VAT/duty for importing one.
If they had a good rep, i think more people would be tempted. For that reason, i like the tried/tested PMS route and the level of customer support is excellent. Which given the usual crap fit/finish of aftermarket parts, customer support has to be up there with one of the number 1 priorities for me.

I know Zero Point One have been dipping their toe in the 182 shifter pool for a while now, but still seen nothing come to fruition. They too could be a nice option.
Have you asked on the Faceache groups Russ? i think there are some folk there running a Tessa shifter, but how transparent they will be with their experience's is a lottery lol.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I don't know anyone that's run one but agree they look decent and if work well, would be a nice option vs a PMS.
My reservations would come from their previous history with parts/quality/support etc. They're not based in the UK either, so if you have any agro, its not like you can take it there and hit them with it lol. You'll also now be stung for VAT/duty for importing one.
If they had a good rep, i think more people would be tempted. For that reason, i like the tried/tested PMS route and the level of customer support is excellent. Which given the usual crap fit/finish of aftermarket parts, customer support has to be up there with one of the number 1 priorities for me.

I know Zero Point One have been dipping their toe in the 182 shifter pool for a while now, but still seen nothing come to fruition. They too could be a nice option.
Have you asked on the Faceache groups Russ? i think there are some folk there running a Tessa shifter, but how transparent they will be with their experience's is a lottery lol.

I seem to remember asking but not getting a response. Probably because i didn’t include a ‘picture for attention’ I kind of decided to go down the PMS after out chat. I would try one of these, but I can’t get any information from Tessa. They are cheaper than the PMS, but will likely only be a touch cheaper once VAT etc is applied.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
What... No "pic for attention"?
You've got no hope mate :D
I miss understood what it meant before mate and got banned from Facebook for 7 days after posting a ‘dick pic’ not great at these new fangled acronyms (is it an acronym) either way Tessa sent me pictures of his shaft and knob, so even his grasp of the language is better than mine. That’s as far as I found any info

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
You only get the upright for 300 and it looks like a child designed after watching a Ken block video imo

Can't imagine without the full bushing and linkage arm etc you'll get the same precise feel of the pms and the cable reverse lift design is just cheap and sloppy imo

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
You only get the upright for 300 and it looks like a child designed after watching a Ken block video imo

Can't imagine without the full bushing and linkage arm etc you'll get the same precise feel of the pms and the cable reverse lift design is just cheap and sloppy imo
That’s right, it uses the standard linkage. From the video it looks like a halfway house between PMS and scenic style shifter. I don’t think anyone would suggest it would be as good as a PMS, but maybe a compromise? Can you share a link to the Ken Block video around it? As I can’t find anything online about it at all

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Is this a second version? Did the first ones not have no sealing plate so they were just open to the elements under the car? Or is that something else I’m thinking of.

If it’s a second version of it. They should have hopefully ironed out any issues.

Bad rep for customer service and by now if you want fit and forget with no hassle you’d go for the PMS proven setup with uk support a phone call away!

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Another one, looks like a bit of play in the adjuster, which is making it look a bit pony!

This video has subtitles, so handy for the little England luddites like myself! Look how much fuckerage is needed to make it usable. Looks like he had to rebuild and design several elements! For that reason I’m Out!

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Theres a good reason why the PMS rattles. To get the solid feel you have to remove the bushes at the gearbox end. This kit brings the gearlever to a new position but its not going to be a PMS substitute as it does not really sort the issue with the standard mechanism. I'd personally wait for the Zero Point One version if you want this sort of thing.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
To be fair Kev, I have all but settled on a PMS now. I posted this thread as there was no information out there! Tessa themselves seem unable to confirm specs. The rattling isn’t really a major concern to me as I don’t daily my clio and I can make the steps to make thing significantly better. But when I saw the Tessa shifter I was really interested in how it worked and what it offered. I’m quite fortunate that the standard shifter set up in my car is reasonably tight. Just the positioning which is fairly rubbish. That said PMS will be ordered at some point if I can’t find a good used one...it just makes sense for an occasional car.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I think the standard lever works ok if you mount the seat lower. I certainly dont have an issue on track with mine but I've got a PMS shifter to change to.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
sorry, the Ken Block thing isn't actually a video, I mean more the design of the thing is very Instagram cuz motorsport ready, rather than a simple clean design to a do a job. It's shouty, trying to says it's motorsport....but really is it? and as Kev mentions, essentially no it's not as it does nothing to alleviate the issues with the standard sloppy linkage really

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I was very tempted to get a PMS and might still do, but im still rocking the standard shifter with £12 brass bushes, works perfectly on track tbh.

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
If anyone’s after some brash bushes give me a message. Got some id like testing if anyone fancies that 👍🏻

Clio 172 Cup
I run one.

I bought it about a year ago and everything was plain sailing. Fits fine, mine is without the seal so is open, but it's just a track car.
Feel is precise, as far as a single rod link gearbox can be. There's not much you can do to the JC5 box regarding feel.

Fiddly to set up to start with, those videos look like they wanted to modify it for an even shorter throw, you can see they've extended the two lower parts, they should be flush together. They've had the 'extended' section come loose. The other videos look like product errors, I needed to modify nothing on mine to fit..

Even as a road car mine is totally usable, I only go down to the shops really, but it's fine for me.

Clio 182
I run one.

I bought it about a year ago and everything was plain sailing. Fits fine, mine is without the seal so is open, but it's just a track car.
Feel is precise, as far as a single rod link gearbox can be. There's not much you can do to the JC5 box regarding feel.

Fiddly to set up to start with, those videos look like they wanted to modify it for an even shorter throw, you can see they've extended the two lower parts, they should be flush together. They've had the 'extended' section come loose. The other videos look like product errors, I needed to modify nothing on mine to fit..

Even as a road car mine is totally usable, I only go down to the shops really, but it's fine for me.
Do you have any photos for installation. Cause I bought one and willing to install it next week

Attachments

• IMG_20210421_144009_604.jpg
    IMG_20210421_144009_604.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 215

stebat

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I’ve just done it mate, I’ll tell you all about it tomorrow when I get a chance mate

clio 172 ph1
my review of it:
received it. paint is fine but the material isnt a nice and good looking as the CAE,PMS and ZPO shifters. when fitting holes were fine, but it left a gap in the floor letting me stare at the exhaust. then shifting is good, but feels flimsy. if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. i think its a hot pile of garbage

Clio 182
my review of it:
received it. paint is fine but the material isnt a nice and good looking as the CAE,PMS and ZPO shifters. when fitting holes were fine, but it left a gap in the floor letting me stare at the exhaust. then shifting is good, but feels flimsy. if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. i think its a hot pile of garbage
Any suggestions about reverse gear??? Mine can't go into reverse

stebat

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Right so, It's a nightmare and the design does not work. You will need to dremel out a lot of the gator plate in order to have enough movement for 5th and
reverse. This will allow enough movement of the gear lever.
Inked05638DBF-6FC3-44A5-995A-8E260A313FF3_LI.jpg

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
How the f**k can they make and sell it if it physically doesn't work? 🤯 The inlets cracking was a design error that could have been rectified but their way of dealing with it fucked everyone off. This not working is just pure incompetence and another reason for Tessa to join the blacklist.