ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test drive V6 then EVO

Thinking of swapping my 182 early next year so I decided to start my reasearch on its replacement early. The 2 options I am considering are

1) V6 255

2) EVO FQ320

I went for a test drive in the V6 first, fantastic car, the sound, the looks etc. Performance was good but I didnt think it was loads different to my 182.

Roll on the EVO f**k me, this thing is out of this world, it made my clio feel like a one pace shopping trolley. However the down side is its not as individual as the V6, however its not as common as the bloody scoobies, which would you choose, and why?

Vee dub

Tough choice

But I personally would go for the V6 255, just for sheer experience and looks.

I have driven an FQ340 and theres no denying which is quicker etc but Id have the Vee.

Tom

Clio v6

I would choose the V6 for its oddity value. I would choose the Evo for its capacious boot and being able to offer a lift to friends.

Personally Id take neither if I had that sort of money it would be audi TT route.

Of either of those cars Id take the Evo errr no Id end up following my heart and getting the V6. Id probably regret it all the time thinking of how much better drive the Evo was but the V6 isnt the same sort of car. The evos superb but the V6 is so different.

Clio 172mk2

id go for evo looks great , goes well , get 5 ppl + luggage init , 4wd , tracky control . alot safer if yer guna be pushing it

A TT??? WTF??? R U GAY? I only know girls that like the TT.

Definalty the Evo, for a start ive seen a V6 and to be honist dont think its all that, good looking yes but i myself find a good looking evo more of a head turner...

The V6 is built by the french end of. I wouldnt buy it if i had that kind of money.

The Evo is faster, easier to take passengers, easier to take stuff in the boot, looks good, can be tuned easier, probably more reliably being jap.

I realise ive just said all that on a clio forum and as much as i like my clio i dont worship them, I think the french generally make fairly cheap cars that are pretty fun to drive thats why we get them, But theres better cars out there...

Im a little biased as ive allways liked the evo and i want to get one once im passed 25.

Quote: Originally posted by PsYch0 on 25 August 2005

A TT??? WTF??? R U GAY? I only know girls that like the TT.
So what if I am gay? Nothing wrong with the TT its proved to be a very sucessful car.

Everytime I see a TT its either got a fit bird driving or a bloke with a fit bird next to them.

I know ita overweigth built on a GOld chassic isnt a true sports car 172s will keep with the 225 version etc but I dont care.

Infact Ill be a right philistine and say I want a diesel (its already been done).

If youre judging the cars in the could light of day the Evo is probably the better car.

However...

The V6 is the classy choice - it is more individual and the cooler car. Get a black one - they are a bona-fide performance car icon & a classic of the future. You cans say the same about the Imprezubishis - technically brilliant but so is an x-box.

Renault Laguna Coupe

I drove the Evo before trying the V6. Wasnt impressed at all (it was on a track). Poor turn-in and awful understeer. Probably ok on the road, but on a track it just didnt deliver. Very practical though (apart from the 1 mile service intervals).

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

Too close to call. Ure touching on two cars in my top 10! (well the FQ400 over all the other FQs but then thats about 47grand init!?)

Ill say this again, and ive alwasy said this...

If u pulled up at ure local gym/pub/social place, a V6 would be the coolest car ever. Its expensive, but not out of this world expensive, and its fast but not show off fast. Its got the cheekyness of a normal looking clio but the impressiveness of almost a supercar. If u pulled up in a ferrari people wud think "ah nice, but i bet hes a tw*t!" but in the V6, its "aww man, look, its one of those 3l clios, OMG!" and u just stole out of it with everyone smiling!

Clio v6

Quote: If u pulled up in a ferrari people wud think "ah nice, but i bet hes a tw*t!" but in the V6, its "aww man, look, its one of those 3l clios, OMG!" and u just stole out of it with everyone smiling!

Yes this happens all the time. Ive often wondered why people stare at me when an umpteen million £ Ferrairirie is posing nearby.:oops:

325ci sport cab 2004

I love v6s but its not a cool car, well its a cool car for the max power brigade and its a car id love a mate to have, but to have one sat on my drive the neighbours would think wtf. Ive owned a TT and I loved it, the good thing about the tt is you can sell it again and over 1 year I lost £500 on the tt. But saying all that If I was a millionaire one of those cars would be a fat v6.

Fickle or what..get the evo..

Im not even going to start a debate about the TT, simply isnt worth my energy. Ok they are a good, reliable car but they are 10 a penny and a nice "safe" car. They simpy shouldnt be mentioned in the same breath as an EVO or 255. See, wasted too much time and effort already!

If I didnt need a slightly practical car then it would be the 255, there is simply nothing like it on the road. Its a car you would never get tired of driving or looking at.

The EVO though has it all, I cant believe Telford_Mike had such a bad experience in one. All the mags rave about the point to point performance. Downside - When I was chatting to my local Mitsi dealer about getting one they advised me against it unless I had a garage. They had 2 cars in the garage that had been returned due to the owners being car jacked in the middle of crowded town centres, its pure to pants to have to consider things like this when buying a car but thats life.

Which ever you get youre going to smiling for a loooooooong time....good luck.

Ziel Nurburgring

Neither. 350Z, 330ci or a chipped 330d. Then there is an VX220T, Elise, New shape ITR (full track kit), How about an M5, the same money buys a pretty good example.

More cars to choose from than just those 2, suppose you will have to go out and test them all

Clio RS 172 Ph2

I dont really think that V6 v/s Evo v/s TT is a very fair comparison.

They are all entirely different cars aimed at different buyers.

I chose a V6 for rarety and exclusivity as much as driving capability.
If Id chose a TT it would have been because I wanted to pose, and get one over on all my work collegues who all drool over the TT.
If Id chose an EVO it would have been because I wanted brute power, coupled to practicality, and not minding the 3000 mile service interval would have had to have come into it to!

The Vee is bettered in every way by lots of other cars... Its not the quickest (but is quick enough) isnt the best handling (but still handles very well), isnt the most exclusive (but I cant afford £120,000 for a D-reg RS200), may not in some peoples eyes be the best looking car, and certainly isnt the cheapest, but for me, it all comes together in a way that no other car (other than an Aston Martin DB9) does for me, and purely for emotive reasons, Id not swap it for any other car (except the aformentioned AM or a blue or red mk1 Vee). For the same reason Id not swap my mk1 for a mk2 - better it may be, but doesnt press my buttons like the mk1 does.

The V6 is unique. To compare it to other cars is not really what its about.

Just my humble opinion....

Clio 200 Cup

Audi TT!!! The choice of someone seriously image conscious who knows nothing about cars!

Out of the 2 it would have to be the Evo. Great straight line speed, practicality, redefines the laws of physics in the handling department (if you say it suffers from far too much understeer i think you need to drive it properly! Or were you driving an Impreza?!). Seriously though, these things are serious cars. Yes you do pay for the experience (service intervals, petrol, etc...), but when you come out of a high speed corner @ >100mph on full opposite lock and never even give a thought to spinning it, it makes it all good!!!

As said earlier, I feel the V6 has been warmed too far too much by the max power generation. Not only does this make it uncool, but it greatly increases the chances of someone breaking into your car and general unwanted attention.

BMW E46 330i Touring

I would personally go for the V6, just because I consider it to be a more desirable car. If one of each were parked up side by side, theyd both get looks, but I would imagine that the Clio would get more and I think that the Max Power generation would pay more attention to the Bishi.

Chavs cant yet afford the V6s, where as they can buy an old Evo 2 or 3, and so have fallen into the Max Power category IMO.

Either way, youre getting a car that I would happily swap my left testicle for....

Clio RS 172 Ph2

Ive yet to see a Maxd V6 in the flesh - just one on autotrader a month or so ago.

Theres a couple of Max boyz in my village, and all through the summer theyre out there playing about in their Saxo & 106. Ive driven past them a number of times in the vee, and they never give me a 2nd look, but if they see a scooby or evo, they stop what theyre doing and instantly cream themselves!

I disagree that the Vee is attracted to chavs and maxers, I get lots of attention, but not of the unwanted variety, and mostly from more mature car enthusiasts than spotty 18 year olds wanting to race. Its also often left out on the road wherever Im working, and has (touch wood) so far not attracted any theiving scum.

that is really a tough choice mate. and its not fair to compare the V6 with the EVO. totally different categories of two different cars. the V6 got the better looks and no one can deny that. the EVO got the better speed and no one can deny that also. personally i would go for the V6 because its a rarely seen car. i mean i bought i bought my 182 because its rare and its really a nice car to drive and to look at. and because the clio are cheap that doesnt mean they are bad cars ??!!! they are good cars and theres nothing wrong to buy french cars. well if i had money to afford V6 or EVO .... well its very difficult choice but i think knowing the fact that only one V6(mk1) exists in a the whole country and seeing EVOs all over the streets i would probably go for the V6(MK2).

If I could afford to run in, Evo everyday of the week.

The most scared Ive been as a passenger is in a Evo VII FQ and thats enough reason for me I think.

Octavia VRS

Without a shadow of a doubt an Evo. Best car Ive been in was a Evo 6, grip was phenomenal and it was just great IMO. Need a lot of cash fro running costs/petrol tho

Octavia VRS

And TT?? Sorry mate but thats just "style over substance" IMO!!

[Edited by POW_Clio on 26 August 2005 at 2:04pm]

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 25 August 2005
Personally Id take neither if I had that sort of money it would be audi TT route.

i knew it!!!! edde is a homo!!!!

Renault ChaVio

I can see why the TT gets a mention to be fair. It is similarly priced, performs to a similar pace, handles reasonably well. OK it is really common but that is just because it is good. Nicely styled, great interior and a premium badge.

With the Renault you get a much more individual choice and a more challenging drive. The trade off is the practicality and putting up with people laughing at you when they find out youve speant £20k on a Clio.

Clio 1.4, SV650S

no one has mentioned... evos need servicing every 4000 miles dont they!?!?apart from the expense its the hastle of taking it to the garage every 3 months!

i would love a mitsi but think i would actually find a v6 more practical... (i bet no-ones ever said that before) i mean i hardly ever have more than 1 passenger, and its not like you can fit your life in a clio anyway. dont have to move in and out of houses often any more so id have the v6.

yeah 4000mile servicing entjm thats waht I was looking for............Mike touched on it..............basically were talking about a road car with F1 running costs :eek:...........well it might just as well be for the regular punter eh :)

Some people like to sl*g the Vee...........maybe someone can explain to me how in the 21st century a road going, mass produced car needs servicing every 5mins...........its just a question?

V6 for me all the way any day............and no Im not biased ;)

Cya Stu...............(black 255 next year (y))

Clio V6 255

Id quite happily have both! ;)

On a serious note, they are very different cars, i think its unfair to compare the two.

On the other hand, I was going to get a VW Golf R32 before I decided to go with the V6, I think it would be a better debate to see which of those you would go for.

R32 or V6 255???