ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test drive, yes or no? Potential buyer

Fabia vrs tdi
Hello someones coming to view my car from 5 hours away and are arriving soon, he's 19 and won't be insured on it.

Would you let them test drive it or take them for a drive? I know it makes sense to say sorry your not insured you can't drive but as a potential buyer it might put him off.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
No, they can easily contact dayinsure.com (its all online) to find out how much it will cost for the day...if he bought it, then how the hell would he get it home?

Megane 225 F1
What I did was drive them around for a bit then take them to an industrial estate and let them drive and this road that never has traffic and is a really wide road.

Mine was a 1.4 though lol.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
No, but you can take him for a drive, or he might bring his dad along?

Whoever drives it, you need to see their insurance cert which says any other car on first, you can get in trouble aswell as him if caught with no insurance.

Once the moneys handed over and he has signed the v5 however, it doesn't matter, not your problem, you didn't see him drive it away did you ;)

Fabia vrs tdi
he said he's bringing cash for a deposit if he likes it, I bought a car once they just gave ms the keys let me and my brother test drive it and didn't ask if we were insured

It would put me off buying a car without driving it

No I'm not stupid I meant test drive it round the block lol, I'll just say no

M135i
technically you'd be permitting him to drive uninsured. If that was the case and you both got 'caught', you'd commit an offence too. Not worth it, theres plenty of more buyers.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If he is travelling that far, chances are he will buy it anyway.

Infact if a buyer was travelling that far to me I wouldn't be moving much on price, if at all. Whenever I buy long distance a price is arranged before I travel.

When I bought my 172, the guy took me down to an industrial sidings to give it a quick belt up and down the supply road. I didnt even ask, tbh as I wasnt insured so I was just expecting him to put it through its paces and me listen for squeaks and whistles. I would never have driven it on a public road, though.

When I sold my type-r I had a few test pilots wanting a razz in it who got the arse on when I asked for an insurance certificate. Out of about 8 people, there was only one guy who had the forsight to bring his cert with him, the rest had to be content with being a passenger.

S3, HD Nightster
What I did was drive them around for a bit then take them to an industrial estate and let them drive and this road that never has traffic and is a really wide road.

Mine was a 1.4 though lol.
This.

I would not buy a car that I haven't driven myself. I've driven every single car I've ever bought before even talking money and every time I would have been uninsured. This is probably the best/easiest way of doing it

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I remember test driving the 182, took my insurance which showed i could drive any other car. I offered it to him and he said its ok, i trust you, aslong as its insured if you bend it. Didnt have the heart to tell him it was tpo lol

VW T4 van, 172 cup
When i got my 172 i had to get my dad to drive it. no point in letting an uninsured person drive it coz if there serious they wont chance you letting them drive it.

Fabia vrs tdi
Will he's the only person that's ever came to view it, if others came they would have bought it and got a bargain

Skoda vrs tdi next

Fabia vrs tdi
bought a fabia vrs tdi, turned up guy asked me to jump in go for a drive didn't ask if I was insured but I was 3rd party. Weird how some people are and can be very trusting.

maybe coz I pulled up in my lovely 182, he even left me with the keys for 10 mins