ClioSport.net

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

  • When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Testing an ignition coil on an Alfa 147

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
Car  E92 M3,172 track car
My girlfriends Alfa has always had a nagging little misfire at very low rev's. I have replaced all 8 spark plugs and cleaned the coil terminals which initially cured the problem but it has since returned.

I have now come to the conclusion that a coil is breaking down. Is there any way of testing the pencil type coils fitted to these engines?
 
You need special equipment for doing that.
Have a very close look at the insulation for hairline cracks, you need good light and a magnifying glass.
They can cause "tracking" which will in turn cause the spark to break down and a mis-fire.
 
Cracking guys, something to go on there. I've got my eye a cheap coil on Ebay so will give that a crack along with the inspection of the coils for cracks. I'll give Mike a call as well tomorrow.

Strange how I get more answers to the question on a Clio forum than I do on 2 Alfa forums.

Out of curiosity, what do you actually do Brian? There appears to be no end to the wealth of your knowledge.
 
Back
Top