ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

testing Polarity of wires

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

i dont know which is the + on the speaker wire as they start a differet colour as they end in the car.

is there any way of testing them to see?

Polo + Micra

yeah you can do it with a 1.5 volt cell.

you also need to see the cone of the speaker

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

so i preume if its the wrong way round the movement will be opposite?

i cant tell by listening to them, what do i do with a 1.5volt cell? and what is one (sorry)

Polo + Micra

because it is dc it will just move one way and stay there.

it is difficult to do just by listening (apart from subs)

have got the info telling you which ones should be the +?

cell is just a fancy way of saying battery

Clio 197

If youre wondering about the standard speakers/wiring in the car:

The + is on the same side as the tab on the plug (that pulls out of the OEM speaker).

If you get the OEM speaker, look inside the socket (where the plug used to be), youll see a wee +...

If youve inherited someone elses wiring, and theyve left no indication then Im afraid I dont know...

Good luck!

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

i looked hard for any marking of a +, theres nothing at all on any of the four speakers either.

??

Skoda Fabia vRS

wire em up, on the head unit use the balance and switch it from centre to right/left, if you got em correct then it will work

if you got em wired up wrong then summat diff will happen, like it will go left when your choosing right etc

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

heatunit is alpine 9831r, speakers are JBl components up front and 2 way in rear quarter panels.

right this is the strange bit.. on the hu it tells u what wire coming out the unit are what so eg..

- white and white/black is front right - ok fine

-follow the wire up to see what colour it joins to - is green - and grey +

- took all the speakers out to see what colour they are and what do u know the green/grey goes to rear drivers side?? so the label on the hu cant be wrong but also cant be right unless the wires change colours!:confused:

all the fades and balance work fine tho! its just the + - thats no defo right.

Clio 197

Could be OEM wiring...

If so, renault should be able to provide info on the colour coding...

Actually, I can help, since Ive got my speakers off at the mo.

PM me all of the colours of the wires and I might be able to tell you.

Oms.