ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thatcham?

ph1 172... Sold:(
Hi.

My new Clio happens to be fitted with an aftermarket alarm, the instuctions for which state it is Thatcham Category 1 and Thatcham Category 2 compliant.

The Alarm was fitted in October of 2001 according to the VSIB certificate supplied with the car bumf.

Does the Thatcham rating still apply given the age of the system?

If so, and bearing in mind I didn't know this was fited when I got my insurance, can I expect a great big refund?

Or do we expect they might try and sting me for not declaring it;)?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I could be wrong, but isn't the Thatcham rating an indicator of what the device does? Rather than stating 'how good' or 'how modern' the device is - if it meets the Cat1 criteria, then it is still classed as Cat1 - regardless of whether or not it was fitted in 2001.

I could be wrong though. Maybe the goal-posts have shifted in recent years?

I know on certain cars, Cat1 is a requirement before any insurance can be applied. The next stage up is Tracker, which has to be fitted to V6's, iirc.

D.

no thatcham is a testing company basically they say if a device is cat 1 or 2 or 3 or not

to be cat 1 it has to be an alarm and imobiliser with certain features but it has to be tested by thatcham if it isnt it cant be called cat 1

the full title is thatcham catagory 1 alarm and imobiliser