ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

THE 1.8RT

heya guys and gals,

My mates just got one of these, justr wonderin the specs?

Also he needs a new fog light, any one have a spare?

ASFAIK these were the top of the range clio mk1s, had everything in it. Im guessing about the same performance as an RSI?

RSi has a different box, so acceleration is better afaik.. Think the RSi also has more BHP? not entirely sure!

They do have a lot of stuff though.. all the toys.

Daz.

1.8 8v, same as a Laguna. My mate had one. Sure they come in at just under 100bhp. All 5 doors I think?

Tim

1.8 RT is 95bhp.

1.8 RSi is 105bhp.

0-60 on RT is 10.2... 0-60 on RSi is 8.9. RSi has a 122 top speed, whereas Rt has 112. All taken from Parkers.

I knew there was a difference! :)

Daz.

Nothing wrong with 5 doors.. ! Ill have to get some pics of mine up soon like.. probably from the Midlands Meet now though!

Daz.

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 01 April 2003

1.8 RT is 95bhp.

1.8 RSi is 105bhp.

0-60 on RT is 10.2... 0-60 on RSi is 8.9. RSi has a 122 top speed, whereas Rt has 112. All taken from Parkers.

I knew there was a difference! :)

Daz.
know it all ;)

sorry guys, been away from my desk, thanks for all the info, turns ouyt i was wrong!!! doh! its a rsi after all!!!!

No.

it has a 1.8 8v engine, but it doesnt share its suspension and everything else which makes the Valver. I *think* the Valver is made by RenaultSport from what Ben H was saying.. like the 172, Cup etc..

Daz.

Does anyone know perforamnce stats and insurance group please. Think i might get a more reliable old clio for a bit!

Rob, scroll up.. I posted earlier the performance.

As for insurance, I think its not far off a Valver.. Someone on here said they got a quote for an RSi and then one for a Valver, and there was only £50 difference? Get some quotes from some online places.. see what they say!

Daz.

Oh yeah cheers

Shame about the insurance bit, if it was a lot cheaper id probably get an RSI as the Valvers is actually pretty decent. Oh well. Back to the 1.2

-Rob

RSi is 110 bhp, RT is 95bhp, rsi would kill an RT. also a mk2 vtr is a good match for the RSi, a RT wouldnt be able to match a VTR im afraid

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Umm I raced and beat two mk1 (90bhp) vtrs quite easily and only lost to a mk2 (100bhp) vtr after about 90 only slightly though;). But then again mine isnt standard. i still think an rt would give a 90bhp vtr a run for its money though.

BMW 320d Sport

1.8 RT is basically the more popular 1.4 RT with a bigger engine, but only a basic 1.8 nothing special and underpowered compared to the 1.8 8v in the RSi. RSi had the looks to be a sporty Clio but not the poke really, although at the time it was a warm hatch, roughly equivalent to a Baccara or something, you either went for luxury or sportiness (Baccara or RSi). The 1.8 16v was the hot hatch of the line-up and in a totally different league from the RSi. It was the only Clio at the time that was raced in any form, and later on spawned the 2.0 version that was homologated as the Williams with a few other slight variations, mainly in the suspension.

So whats the actual difference between the RT and Rsi mechanically, just 15 bhp, it wouldnt be hard to get a RT to the same power, full exhaust system, induction kit and chip. would get you roughly on the 110bhp mark. Just im gettin an 1.8 RT soon and just wondered how i could equal the spec of rsi performance wise.

+ the RSI has LOADS of tourque (thats coming from an ex oil burner driver!) but doesnt have the top end of the valver (about 4000 - 4500 when the valver starts to really go for it, the RSI lacks)

Hope that helps

Tom

+ The RSI is insurance group 11 and the valver 12 - 14. It doesnt sound like a lot but my insurance quotes were £600 fully comp on the RSI and £1500 on the valver!!!

The 1.8 RT uses the F3P engine. It develops 95bhp @ 5750rpm and 105lb/ft of torque at 2750rpm. There are 1783cc and 1794cc versions of the engine, but the power is the same (most are 1783cc). The RSi has 110bhp from the same F3P and uses the same compression ratio, so I dont know where the extra 15bhp comes from!

The 1.8 RT was not the top of the range - it was just a larger engined option for those wanting the RT spec and only came in 5-door (you could also get the 1.9 diesel in RT spec at one point). It was only available in Phase1 and was discontinued in 1994.

The Baccara (mainly for the Paris market) used the same engine with a four-speed auto box, though this was the luxury car of the range (which also did continue into Phase2). The Bacarra also had side skirts, leather trim (not the same as the 16v leather), alloys, electrics, some wood and a carry case under the parcel shelf.

The reason the RSi is so much faster is not because of the 15bhp, its because the Baccara is an auto. In the same regard, the 1.4 RT is a hell of a lot faster than the 3-speed auto 1.4 RT. And the RSi doesnt develop any more torque than the 16v at any revs - its just the 16v peaks with its extra 11-16lb/ft some 2000rpm later.

The 16v was developed by Renaultsport in much the same way as the 172 is today. Unlike the 172, the 16v was the homologation car for the 16vs Group A rally antics. Later, when they upped the capacity of the Clio to 2.0 in Group A, Renault homologated the car as the Williams (again developed by Renaultsport; it was called the Williams to celebrate the F1 success at the time). I dont think the 16v and Willy were built in separate factories, but the only common assembly with the rest of the range was the actual chassis, since most of the panels/suspension etc are very different.

Probably the most bespoke model would be the Bacarra with ABS option. The basic Clio chassis would be made, then Bacarra bits added, topped off by the four-bar torsion bar system with the rear discs from the 16v/Willy that had to be there with the ABS option. Must have taken weeks to make just one!!

"The reason the RSi is so much faster is not because of the 15bhp, its because the Baccara is an auto" Were not talkin about the bacarra mate ;) were talkin abut the RT which is manual. i would get a rsi but i am refused insurance until im 19, im only 18, i can easily tune the rt to 110bhp, but seems no one knows where the extra 15bhp on the rsi comes from!:), basically i just want to know if i was to tune the rt to 110-120bhp, 110bhp being the same as that of the rsi would i match the rsi for performance or would a new bix be needed to help? cheers guys for your help and input so far

I found out why the RSi has another 15bhp: its multi-point fuel injection as opposed to single-point on the RT/Bacarra F3P.

So there would be no magic mod for the 95bhp to get it up to the 110bhp of the RSi, I think swapping the injection system might be difficult. Having said that, you could drop the RSi lump straight in. But then whats the point if that costs say £500+ and insuring/buying an RSi would surely cost less than that.

Not that Ive got it in for 5-door cars, but most people prefer the 3-door and the 1.8 RT only comes as the 5-door. And the cheap mods like a filter, zorst and chip will only take you so far - certainly not to RSi power.

Surely you can get 15bhp from those 3 mods, full exhaust system 2bhp, filter 2-3bhp and chip 8-10bhp. which is pretty much 15bhp. But i am doing other mods to the car like porting the head, new manifolds etc. Im aiming to get it from 95bhp up to 110bhp+ giving it rsi performance, i just want a 9second or less 0-60 n ill be well happy.With such a decent sized engine its definately got modding potential.

Sure, its got potential. But just ask anyone with a chip, induction and exhaust to show proof of a 16% increase (15bhp in this case) in power on a non-turbo car!! The most youll really get is about 5bhp, especially as a single-point injection will not respond that well to a chip. People always talk about mods as if their power increases add up cumulatively, but they never do. I mean if you add an Ecotek, fancy spark plugs, Optimax, a Max Power sticker and a device that cuts off the alternator at high speeds, surely the beast would make 140bhp!! Besides, have you ever heard of anyone who does tuning parts for this rare car?! ;)

Of course, porting and new manifolds are going to give you better power/torque - but at what price? With the greatest of respect for creating a unique car, surely buying and insuring an RSi would be cheaper? - and would be a better starting point for mods.

From my experience, both the F3P 1.8 8v engines are very messy as well - youd have real trouble relocating stuff if you were getting serious with the mods.

Damn looks like ill just have to hope for the best with the car, least it will shift better than my current car of 0-60 in 14.5 secs, as i said i would go for rsi but i cant until im 19. Im confident i can get the power to that of an rsi though, 15bhp isnt that hard to do. One question seeing as the engine of the RT and rsi are the same part from multi point injection, if i was to gain 15bhp on the rt would the performance match that of the rsi pertty much, or would i need to change the gear box to get matching performance.thanks again everyone

A decat on a RSi wont do any harm (apart from to the environment, of course!). Probably a panel filter and a decat will make the RSi a bit nippier for very little money.