ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The aftermath (dropped valve pics)

Owned the car for 3 Months, All belts, pulleys, VVT Pulley was changed 8000 miles ago , engine was on 46,000 miles.

Driving home a few weeks ago on the M5 with cruise control on at 70 then lost all power, couldn't work out what the hell had happened until I noticed my air filter was leaking oil.

So here's what happened:

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0670-1.jpg
IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg
IMG_0701.jpg

I am aware that the above plug is a BOSCH Super 4 and that it should have NGK's.

GSXR + KDX220
Christ!:eek: Thats pretty unlucky!

Could have been the plug tip coming off and jamming the valve?:S

Seat Ibiza
Sorry, they didn't load up first time I opened it.

Not good mate, you sourced an engine?

Who did all the work? Gonna try a warranty claim?

Managed to source one from Bideford scrap yard who had it still running in the car so had it out 2 weeks later, I was originally going to do it all myself apart from the timing but my little sister isn't well so I was to and from Bristol most days so had Alphington Fast Fit in Marsh Barton do it (The owner is a good friend of my Mum's) So it had a new belt kit, aux belt, all pulleys including VVT pulley, new OEM clutch and a few other bits and it runs like a dream.

I didn't try a warranty claim because if the timing was out it would have bent the rest of the valves, the valves are friction welded together and as its a weak spot it just gave in.

hi, i have similer metal shavings in my inlet manifold so assume my engine ia deqd as well, just wondered how much it cost for the engine and labour etc? thanks

53 Clio's & counting
That's an impressive hole in the piston. Seen a 520 bmw do that, though the kid wondered what the misfire was so kept revving it till it stopped......

hi, i have similer metal shavings in my inlet manifold so assume my engine ia deqd as well, just wondered how much it cost for the engine and labour etc? thanks

Unfortunately it sounds like you have the same problem. I managed to get a running engine (51k miles) for £350 which was a right bargain, then £200 for a full belt kit, £150 for a new VVT pulley, £100 OEM clutch then the labour at the garage for the engine to be swapped over + Fluids. So you will be looking at a grand.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Did you see the Belts done, or was it a previous owner? Did the belt snap/jump or was it something else that caused the destruction in there?

I dismantled the totalled engine yesterday and the belts were fine no rips/snaps etc, the de-phaser was new 8000 miles ago as well. I have all the receipts/ invoices for the belts being done adding up to about £800 by the previous owner , I even rang the garage up to double check.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I dismantled the totalled engine yesterday and the belts were fine no rips/snaps etc, the de-phaser was new 8000 miles ago as well. I have all the receipts/ invoices for the belts being done adding up to about £800 by the previous owner , I even rang the garage up to double check.

Ahhh right - well, if the belts and alike were all intact and as they should be - an internal problem maybe regarding the oil has arisen. Bad news fella.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Is this the third or forth post about this lately? Seems to be a common fault appearing perhaps. They don't like it up em'!

There's been a few posts about this lately.

t12eed you must have been fuming the 2nd time! I'm paranoid about it happening again.

Za**** & Xr250R
There's been a few posts about this lately.

t12eed you must have been fuming the 2nd time! I'm paranoid about it happening again.

I was mate the 2nd time it happened 4 hours after fitting the new engine and the worste thing no one could tell me why it happened both times on cylinder 1, I was aswell I never drove it properly again mate.

To be honest I hardly ever drive mine hard, it gets the odd blip now and then so I was shocked when it happened, engine was running like a dream before. When your engine gave way both times how were you driving it? were you giving it some or like me it just gave in at cruising speed?

Last edited:
  Za**** & Xr250R
To be honest I hardly ever drive mine hard, it gets the odd blip now and then so I was shocked when it happened, engine was running like a dream before. When your engine gave way both times how were you driving it? were you giving it some or like me it just gave in at cruising speed?

Me neither I never gave myne stick just the odd bit of pasty, 1st time I was doing around 50mph in 5th gearthe 2nd time around 20mph in 2nd gear myne was well serviced and on 29k belts werent due either its a mystery tbh when I get I sec I might start thread to see how common it is and wht it happens

maybe time to think about uprated valves £££ though :dapprove:

Thought this, but then while the heads apart you think well I'm here might as well throw some decent cams in, decent springs then your adding up the £'s. Some 1*2 owners give their's hell all day long and have no issues. Must just be an unlucky bunch of us out there with 2 piece valves soldered together.

BG 182 FF
This happened to me in august. Cruise control on doing 70mph on the M1 and a valve snapped. I've had a new engine fitted plus all belts/kits, clutch, water pump etc etc and it runs like a dream. But £1500 is a lot of money I didn't really have!

172, Tiguan
is there anyway, you could just swap around the bottom end of the engine rather than just fitting a whole new one?

If you've not snapped a valve like this chap has, or your head is undamaged, then yes a different bottom end will fit.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you've not snapped a valve like this chap has, or your head is undamaged, then yes a different bottom end will fit.

although you would still have to remove and refit the engine, its not like you can leave the head in the car while you swap the bottom end over, lol