ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'The Crash' Britcar 24Hr 2011

Lotus Elise
Serious Crash in the Britcar 24Hr 2011 - Marshal Injured

I'd held off posting this publicaly as a marshal was seriously injured in this incident. Since it has occured I have kept updated on his condition and i'm happy to say he is now receovering well (he had a double leg fracture).

I have also sought advice from the marshaling community in general as to whether this video should be posted at all as I did not want to cause any distress to the injured marshal, his team or the marshalling community in general. The consensus was that after a period of time it should be posted.

All correct procedures were followed and it was just a freak incident. It does show the danger that these guys put themselves in though in order for us to race.

Direct Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxxJtBrdADc

I know there are probably not a lot of racers on here but if you wish to show your appreciation for the work the marshals do please CLICK THROUGH TO YOUTUBE and click [Like].

Thanks

Maxx

Last edited by a moderator:
  Lotus Elise
Alex,

Yes, marshal is recovering well, he had 2 breaks which needed pinning but he is back home and exceeding doctors expecation with his progress (hardy bunch these marshals).

Hats off to people marshalling, however I will say there is a distinct difference between some I've seen at events. Highly trained, quick and diligent highly professional marshals and then on the flip side some who are 20 stone useless fat knackers that only break into a jog when the burger van pulls into the circuit.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Hats off to people marshalling, however I will say there is a distinct difference between some I've seen at events. Highly trained, quick and diligent highly professional marshals and then on the flip side some who are 20 stone useless fat knackers that only break into a jog when the burger van pulls into the circuit.

This is very true! I remember when my vee caught fire at Rockingham and a couple of useless tossers ambled over to see if I needed a hand......"YES FCUKING PLEASE!!"

As Turkish pointed out though, the majority are very good. Infact, looking at that video, if it wasn't for the second marshall looking back up the track, two of them could have been killed.

Turbos.
Yeah, good idea to have someone 'on watch'. Don't know if that is part of the training or just initiative, but you could argue that other marshall saved his life.

Oil Burner
Scary accident, think i saw this video shortly after the race.

At big events marshals always have someone looking back up the track for more incoming cars. During the night races it must be that much harder. Its almost impossible to tell whats going what speed and if its on line. Its chaos. Must take balls to marshal a night time race.

Having said which there is a huge variation in the quality of marshalling. The professional marshals are superb at their jobs, but I've seen some pretty questionable marshalling just over the last few years. But if you don't pay people thats what you get i guess! Still not a job i would want to do so fair play.