ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The high speed squeal - I found where its coming from

Nissan 350Z
Every time I get to a particular speed, I get a squealing sound filling the cars cabin, and it is dependant on wind speed... sometimes you can hear it at 70 mph, other times its 100 mph. Once it starts, its more or less constant until you slow down. The higher wind speeds the car is travelling through, the lower the speed you need for it to happen - so its worse in gale force winds than when theres no wind.

Very, very annoying...

And for months and months i just could not tell where it was coming from, and its been back to reno several times to no avail... but now I think I know.

It seems to be coming from the interior light, because if you push hard on it while the noise is happenning, it stops. Let go, and it starts again...

So.... any ideas what it is or what could be causing it, or how it could be solved? I've searched to forums and found a lot of people have a buzzing sound from theres, but this IS NOT the problem i am having. Mine is a squeal / whistling sound at high speed. Somehow wind must be getting in and getting to that point and whistling so i need a way of stopping this from happenning.

Focus ST
Do you have a sun roof??

Pushing on the interior light might be pushing onto one on the seals??

Just a thought :D

106 GTi
A sunroof on a 182!!!!

I get the problem on mine and like you seems wind dependant on speed, I thought mine seemed to be coming from the lower console though, will try as you have though next time.

Nissan 350Z
Thats what i thought as well. To me it definitely seemed to sound like it was coming from the dash, but alas, sound can be deceiving. Give it a try... I would be really interested to know if it helps you as well as this has been driving me up the wall and puts a dampener on a car that I otherwise really enjoy. I can put up with rattles and creaks, but this was just too much!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
is't it somthing to do witha litte fan thing in the light moulding, its to do with the air con, i wouldn't know with having a cup lol, but i'm sure i've read it somewhere that they get noisy. its under the little vents holes by the light

BMW M135i
Yeh the climate control temp sensor fan does tend to knacker its bearings and squeel, but surely it wouldn't be speed dependant if it were that ?

Nissan 350Z
Car has just come back from Reno.... and i think its fixed, but i guess i wont know for sure until i get a windy day (very still today), it was the windscreen, and it wasnt sealed properly, so they had to reseal it. Just thought i would update this thread in case anyone is having similar problems...

Mazda Mx-3
I am recently having this noise and that is very annoying. I searched the forum about a
solution but i see that many are having the same problem but none has an answer. Any new info about it? Did resealing the windscreen solve your problem pbrikett?