ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The latest Norris Designs Evo Crash (Castle Combe)

in f1 racing when cars crash the teams dont pay each other... as said take track insurance this isnt just a track day this is an actual race series ffs he dont owe anyone s**t... tbh i cant see him not crashing he tried his best to stop it... people need to stop having a go just cos he is simon norris!!

F1 is slightly different, this is club level racing. I was speaking to the Leon driver from the same series on Monday as I got some pics for him last time, and he was saying he speaks to one of the Ibiza drivers an awful lot as obviously they have very similar cars. Rich can probably comment more than me as I don't get involved in the paddock, but although it's ultra-competitive on track everyone in the most part is very friendly off of it.

No he doesn't have to pay anyone anything, but the spirit of this championship is a little bit different to F1. The fact that he is publicly saying he is going to give one of his fellow drivers a 'personal visit' because he disagreed with him just sums it up for me (doesn't say much for the integrity of MLR either, I'm sure repeated personal threats should/could result in a ban for anyone else)

obvious brake failure imo.
you got to give the guy some credit ,he can hussle a 650 bhp evo ,most of the jockeys on the various forums couldnt extract 90 % of the 200 bhp or so most of em have.
Having said that ,the evo doesnt handle well at all and his lines and braking are "interesting "shall we say!.
I can do a 1.20 round combe in a front driver with just 210 bhp ,he was doing about 1.17's with 4wd and over 3 times the power .......hmmmm,evo needs a handling make over ,its rubbish.
Dave

Evo 8 Jap Crap
What car you done a 1:20 in with just 210bhp?

Norris was lapping in 1:15's btw which was the same as Gary

Last edited:
  Evo 8 Jap Crap
also the brakes were tested after and they had FAILED not just boiled over... so all those comments are bs..

I think you should get your facts right, the brakes were tested after the race in the paddocks and they were found to be working fine.

He boiled the brake fluid which caused the failure which is something he should of avoided

lapping is all about corners and braking ,not power ,someone should point that out to norris and his evo ,hes slower than a touring car despite having more than double the power ...doesnt take much working out does it !
power should be limited to a sensible figure in a race of this calibre imo.
Dave

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
also the brakes were tested after and they had FAILED not just boiled over... so all those comments are bs..

I think you should get your facts right, the brakes were tested after the race in the paddocks and they were found to be working fine.

He boiled the brake fluid which caused the failure which is something he should of avoided

i was posting what i had read... it went from working one corner to him pumping them and getting nothing on the next??

I can do a 1.20 round combe in a front driver with just 210 bhp ,he was doing about 1.17's with 4wd and over 3 times the power .......hmmmm,evo needs a handling make over ,its rubbish.
Dave

Not commenting either way (I'm not a fan of the car personally), but a few facts...

His 1:17s were in the race and he was constantly battling with Gary Prebble, his quali lap was in the 1:14s on a slightly damp circuit.

The Pug 106 Xsi of Wii Di Claudio in Class D (2wd up to 1400cc) does around 1:21, the lap record for the same class is a very low 1:20.

53 Clio's & counting
The fact that he is publicly saying he is going to give one of his fellow drivers a 'personal visit' because he disagreed with him just sums it up for me (doesn't say much for the integrity of MLR either, I'm sure repeated personal threats should/could result in a ban for anyone else)

i read this too,ok the guy was being a bit harsh,but everybody jumped on the bandwagon against him, i can understand he is well known on the MLR but good god saying he wants to pay a guy a visit because he is throwing insults over the internet? i mean honestly come on,imo i think his lines were terrible,and it seemed as if he was using the power to make up for not driving the circuit properly,and im not saying i could do any better, or i could handle 650 odd bhp in race conditions,and i think his reactions were good when his brakes went,but throwing it sideways onto grass will not scrub off speed,iv found this out on many a track day!

Im not going to throw insults or judge him,yes again imo i think he needs more experience before racing again,but what do i know iv only been track day'ing for ten years and studying coombe most weekends over the last 15 odd years ;)

fair play to him for helping the other evo driver out with repairs though,something he didnt have to do

and declaudio is a good driver too,iv known him for years

"but throwing it sideways onto grass will not scrub off speed,iv found this out on many a track day!"

were else was he sposed to go ,he was trying to avoid the other car!
if youve been studying combe 15 years then you should know that corner offers no choices or escape routes,its either track or crash.Id like to see you or anyone else mocking him with no brakes in that corner at 110 mph ,unbelievable!

53 Clio's & counting
"but throwing it sideways onto grass will not scrub off speed,iv found this out on many a track day!"

were else was he sposed to go ,he was trying to avoid the other car!
if youve been studying combe 15 years then you should know that corner offers no choices or escape routes,its either track or crash.Id like to see you or anyone else mocking him with no brakes in that corner at 110 mph ,unbelievable!

im not saying he could have done anything else mate,but im only quoting the man himself,he posted a fair few times on MLR that he turned onto the grass to scrub off speed,and all im saying is that doesnt work

and i think he driving was a bit iffy,but as i posted above i doubt i could have done better,but then i take a differnt line along there, i think he did all he could to try to slow down,i just didnt agree with his idea of going on grass will slow you down

Better than yours. C*nt.
He's driving like an absolute plank, and one of these days he's going to kill someone. Unfortunately it'll be someone else. He obviously has too much money to throw at the sport because he certainly doesn't have skill. He's late on in EVERY corner, the fact that when he does actually get one right the red one disappears shows that.

Ban the c**k. Forever.

^ but that's the way powerful 4wd cars tend to be - they understeer if you get on too early (he understeered straight into the 106 in the previous incident). he does seem shabby in comparison with some, but he's just as much right to learn how to race as anyone else imo - just needs to sit down and think about what he's doing, not least of all as he really doesn't seem to be doing himself any favours in other quarters.

53 Clio's & counting
^ but that's the way powerful 4wd cars tend to be - they understeer if you get on too early (he understeered straight into the 106 in the previous incident). he does seem shabby in comparison with some, but he's just as much right to learn how to race as anyone else imo - just needs to sit down and think about what he's doing, not least of all as he really doesn't seem to be doing himself any favours in other quarters.

v good way of putting it matey

clio 200 F4Rt
i'm an instructor mate ;)

slightly off topic, but who do you work for? and what do you instruct?

back on topic....

no grass in the world helps scrub off speed, so it would be my last choice of direction, unless it was a few acres of open smooth land!!!

Lionel Richie
drivers dream days mate, only freelance, i mainly instruct complete novices on their driving experiences, i occasionally do the high speed passenger laps, but i don't like doing them too much

106 GTi
Hearing opinions in the paddock at Combe after on Monday most thought a few down changes and trying to keep it on the tarmac to slow it down would have been a better option.

111s
Hearing opinions in the paddock at Combe after on Monday most thought a few down changes and trying to keep it on the tarmac to slow it down would have been a better option.

...While looking at a tyre wall bearing down on you at 110mph...of course thats what we'd all do.... exactly how much speed do you think he'd have washed off?

Cliosport; populated by £100k+ salary earners and pro drivers, who'd have thought it.

Of all the people making comments:

1) How many have driven on track in a race situatuion?
2) Done 1) with 650hp underneath you?

I know i haven't.

...While looking at a tyre wall bearing down on you at 110mph...of course thats what we'd all do.... exactly how much speed do you think he'd have washed off?

Cliosport; populated by £100k+ salary earners and pro drivers, who'd have thought it.

I know i haven't.

You argue my (and others') point(s) very well, whilst not meaning to.

The nub of it is that he is driving a car way in excess of his capabilities. I don't earn £100k, I'm not a track driver and for the record, my capabilities would fall way below that of a 650 bhp car - but I know that. He doesn't and if he continues I'll place money that his next accident is a nasty one.

The bits and pieces I've read all point to a boiling of brake fluid, not a failure of brakes. If this is the case, then how was the driver not aware of this some corners in advance?

Me personally, I'd s**t myself at 110 mph (probably) and changing down a gear wouldn't be on my mind. That said, crucially, I don't race a 650 bhp car. For the record I'd have stuck the handbrake on and tried to spin the thing on the tarmac, where the greatest friction is - whether that would be clever or not is another thing, that's just a gut reaction.

Just because I have not done either of your two aforementioned points does not render me incapable of an opinion, by the way.

Better than yours. C*nt.

I know i haven't.

I don't earn £100k and I'm not a pro driver, but I know full bloody well that driving a car onto grass to slow it down just won't work. Here's the science made simple for you - spray your road with fairy liquid and water and slide down it on your belly. No? Didn't think that sounded too appealing. However we've all done it on grass...

M2 Competition
Lol, i just watched him try and correct a slide with one hand on the wheel and the other on the gearstick, i cant watch anymore! Skipping to the end...

If he was doing 110, and it was evident the car wasnt in full control just before he lost it, why did he try and come up the inside leading up to the corner? If he'd have backed off and sat in behind one of the dark coloured cars on his left, and turned in properly, he'd have kept that.

If he was doing 110, and it was evident the car wasnt in full control just before he lost it, why did he try and come up the inside leading up to the corner? If he'd have backed off and sat in behind one of the dark coloured cars on his left, and turned in properly, he'd have kept that.

I imagine he would have still been turning into Tower at about 100mph even if eased off the throttle in that case, which would have probably ended with an Evo on its roof somewhere in or on the tyre wall.

In fact, the more I think about this, the more I think he really has nothing like the experience to be doing this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no rev-matching changing down a gear (and he actually unsettles the car in several corners), or heel and toe'ing if you will, either?

No, the more I think about it and the more I look at his videos the more I think that getting that level of race licence is far too easy. He just relies on straightline power, no cornering finesse whatsoever.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
the cars are too quick for the championship, i keep saying it! both crashes have happened when coming up on back markers

600bhp evo's Vs 120bhp saxos?

tbh his driving isn't that bad IMO (ok well apart from the downchanges, and steering, but he is full of adrenaline, the other car is a bit all over the shop too) he's not smooth at all, a smoother driver with 100bhp less would be as quick

how quick is his car round coombe vs say a btcc car?

Would agree with the above, the spread of ability and cars is too vast its gaurenteed that there will be some big offs. If he had brake failure then i wouldnt critisise but its not the first time hes caused a major incident........

Lots of people say he should have done this and should have done that, faced with no brakes its a lottery with no winners just damage limitation.

Agree he should take a brake, maybe trying to race a 106 and get the lines and build up etc not being sarcastic but think thats the way everyone should start racing. Too many people too much money and too little experience. How many people you know go out and buy a fireblade or ducati when they dont have any experience, usually ends in tears.

Me's a well respected guy in the EVO world but not as a driver.

He worked on my mates silvia and made a right mess of it. My mate had to go get it fixed at another tuners. They said it was 'shoddy' and 'unprofessional' workmanship.

And when my mate brought it to his attention he was very arrogant about it. Wouldnt admit he was at fault. Started acting like a child, and started making threats.

Looks like hes moved into brake upgrades too now.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
He worked on my mates silvia and made a right mess of it. My mate had to go get it fixed at another tuners. They said it was 'shoddy' and 'unprofessional' workmanship.

And when my mate brought it to his attention he was very arrogant about it. Wouldnt admit he was at fault. Started acting like a child, and started making threats.

Think that a very one sided and exceptional case, Simon is very well respected in the EVO circles. In terms of engine development he is been well in advanved of everyone for a while (and still is).

Tuners just **** each other off, EVO or Clio it always happens.

Think that a very one sided and exceptional case, Simon is very well respected in the EVO circles. In terms of engine development he is been well in advanved of everyone for a while (and still is).

He may know his evos, but he obviously doesnt know his silvias.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

He may know his evos, but he obviously doesnt know his silvias.

Again uneducated statement, before EVOs he used to run a Silvia....

Hear say and chineese whispers dont rely on it.

Regards to his talents as a Jap engine / car development not many are better.