ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The legendary quarry corner at Castle Coombe

Mazda MX5 1.8
those 2 cavs understeering into the tyre wall made me laugh :)

some people getting it completely wrong with pretty violent results! esp that silver evo....

Evo 8 Jap Crap
The thing that makes quarry corner bad is its at the end of the fastest part of the track a lot of people are doing 120+ and before you hit the corner its a brow of a small hill and before you know it your "on" the corner.

You need to brake before getting to the brow of the hill

M2 Competition
After the white rover 200 spins, isnt the clio that follows (extreme in cyclone blue with a carbon bonnet) someone off here's? Simf40?

(1:44 in)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The thing that makes quarry corner bad is its at the end of the fastest part of the track a lot of people are doing 120+ and before you hit the corner its a brow of a small hill and before you know it your "on" the corner.

You need to brake before getting to the brow of the hill

Avon Rise - makes me pucker up every time - top of 4th or low 5th for me so 125mph, blind entry with no sight of the apex, and a gentle left over the brow while trying to lose speed for Quarry. I don't think I've ever really attacked it because there's potential for such a huge f*** up,

Couldn't believe the speed some of them were carrying into Quarry...lots of them lost it over Avon Rise beforehand.

WTF was that silver Evo thinking?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I see what you mean Dan, recognise it

Did that Evo just understeer at full tilt into the tyre wall? :p

been going to the Action Days for 15y+ and, to be fair, they have gotten alot better (!)

still a massive risk though; it's expensive, but the best way to experience the track is on a 'proper' track day - no goonery going on

some horrible looking smashes there - the worst due to people mucking up Avon Rise and carrying far too much speed into Quarry

yikes

106 GTi
Yeah the standard of driving and cars at the Action Days has improved, I remember the days of trailered Legacys with not a straight panel and tequila slammer sprayed down the side being on track !

Quarry is where it all happens, mates 205 was written off by a spinning MG there. A few people have got it wrong at camp, aswell as those that have rolled it in places that you would never think possible, half way down the start finish straight - Sierra Cossie last year. One of the PSOOC lot rolled after tower in 205 GTi which was quite nasty.

Less
that guy was well lucky? i assume some of those are from just track day footage, just normal peoples cars not racing as such!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ive always heard bad things about combe and the general standard of driving?

Any truth in this mark?

Never had a problem on any of the days I've been to, but they have been "closed" trackdays and not action days where everyone wants to be a hero in front of the crowds.

Having said that, when cliosport all went recently I don't think there were too many problems.

Still get the odd muppet in a 500bhp Cossie that won't move over because he's plainly the fastest thing out there, but that's par for the course just about anywhere.

106 GTi
that guy was well lucky? i assume some of those are from just track day footage, just normal peoples cars not racing as such!

Yeap none of that footage looks to be at a race day all looks to be at the public actiondays.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
that rover 200 didn't even attempt the corner!!!!!

Moral of the story is...............don't go round Castle Coombe in a Vauxhall !

Megane Trophy
just shows the poor driving standards and people really not knowing what to do when a car looses control.

80% of them accidents would have been avoided if the driver just wound on a lock and held it there rather than trying to be a hero and correct it!!

That evo driver as well! - full lock right, stand on the brakes and wonders why it goes straight on!!

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
awesome video like, i found it very amusing in a weird way .... that evo driver wants a slap like!

FF Blackgold 182
Re: The legendary quarry corner at Castle Combe

That Rover 200 was on the saturday a couple of months back I believe. You very briefly see a Clio with a carbon bonnet go past afterwards and that was a young bloke on here called Simon iirc. Not sure what his forum name is though. The guy who nearly got run over was very lucky!:eek:

Ad

MK2 FRS
the silver evo was quite a nasty smash as was the beemer...

guess that corner explains why castle combe trackday insurance is so high!! lol

53 Clio's & counting
combe is a great circuit but like any circuit u have to treat it with respect,alot of people get on there and drive past there means,the red mists gets the better of them,iv had a few close calls at quarry,one was at 80mph in the rain,i was 18 and very silly,and somehow i didnt crash,but made me very aware of the dangers of the track

was also lucky enough to drive it before they put the two shicanes in,was super fast before then,could easily see 130 mph going up to camp corner,and that was in an old astra sri......