ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The life of my 1.2, my first car

Bux

Golf GTD
Before you assume things, no I haven't written it off, i've px'd it in for a 197 :cool:
Right, where to begin.

Just before I passed my test in December 2007, I was looking for a Clio as my first car (always wanted one, never really knew why). Anyway, this one came up on eBay as an auction, not too far from me, but not much time left on it.
Here's a few pics from the eBay ad:

62bd12oy0.jpg

63bf12cy2.jpg

656512mr7.jpg

So my dad just went for it and put a bid on it and won!

2003 (53) Renault Clio 1.2 16V Extreme 2 for £2056.... bargain.

Off we went to go and collect it and it wasn't as clean as I had hoped. When selling a car, you would have thought that you would take your stuff out of the car, and give it a quick hoover on the inside. But not this guy, he had left a blanket over the rear seats, £4 on the floor on the passenger's side and the latest boyzone CD in the Ripspeed DVD player :cool:

Also there was a sizable scratch across the front of the bonnet where it had a little nudge at some point in it's life. This little bump had also broken the clips of the Renault diamond at the front, leading to people finding it funny to steal it and hide it when i wasnt looking...

Got the car home and put it straight onto the steels that came with it, as being 17, couldn't get insured with them on. Didn't matter though, it was a clio, and it was mine!

1.jpg

Gave it a clean and put some halfords wheel trims on it (with the diamonds from the old trims superglued to them).

It stayed like this for a while, then I decided to start doing some mods to it, after seeing many of the non-sport examples here on CS. Starting with a set of silver bullets, a dynamique spoiler and a new head unit, as the crappy ripspeed one was starting to annoy me.

22042009426.jpg

And then the usual RS Grill

22052009453.jpg

[/img]http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7398/22052009455.jpg[/img]

22052009454.jpg

After this I attended my second meet with cs people (not got pics of the first), which was a trip down to Haynes Motor Museum.

11072009533.jpg

I then bought my induction kit... known to many as my great silver schlong.
(unfortunately i cannot find any pics of it at the moment, there should be 1 or 2 around somewhere.

I wanted to get into taking nicer pictures of my car, so i went on a drive to Cheddar Gorge on a nice sunny day to get some pictures, here's one of the pics, my fav:

IMGP0056.jpg

I went on a little photoshoot to an industrial estate with RIXPH (after getting the little Renault F1 Team sticker on the bonnet) to try and get some more pictures too. But the car still wasnt a good enough standard to try and show off, especially with the fat wheel trims.

IMGP0090.jpg

IMGP0122.jpg

I then got hold of some sprayed side strips from a guy on here and put them on the car, which was definately and improvement.

IMG_0109.jpg

The Clio stayed like this for quite a while, until it came to December, and I got my 1 years ncb. This meant I could finally do some proper mods to it.

I put the alloys back on to start with:

imgp0320.jpg

Then I just went for it and bought 40mm lowering springs and shocks from KTEC, a 172 steering wheel and full 172 interior, pearl black spoiler and silvervisions.

100_0116.jpg

100_0162-1.jpg

100_0729.jpg

It has since stayed like this and i've loved it. In April it did give me a scare when the clutch decided to die on me when i was coming home from work. The car moved, but could not pull itself up hills from a standstill and was very slow. Not very useful during rush hour traffic in the centre of Bristol, about 25 miles from my house.
Despite this, it soldiered on and managed to get me home, I was so proud of it :approve:

So out came the old clutch.

IMG_0392.jpg

In went a new upgrade (some of you might remember) ;)

IMG_0391.jpg

This didn't work out well though, so that got binned and it went back to how it was before.

This is how the car has stayed and it's been fantastic to own. It's a real shame to be moving on, the car felt like a go kart and i even managed to pull a lot of birds with it ;)Unfortunately, this was just after I had cleaned it...

IMG_0444-1.jpg

I've had so many fun times with the car and as I said, it will be a shame to see it go.
Yes it has over 100k miles on it, it rattles, the brakes squeak a bit, theres a wheel wobble at high speeds and the sunroof leaks a little, but it's been a fantastic 2 years. I'll do my best not to cry when i drop it off at the dealers on Monday.

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Goodbye Clio! You've been awesome! I hope that it's next owner will treat it as it deserves.

The replacement 197:

2220e9ce.jpg

Last edited:

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Nice I'm surprised with myself that I like the stripes on the 197 but it looks alright.

Great read. You'll love the 197 (and I surprisingly quite like the stripes).

I made the jump also from a 53 plate 1.2 extreme, to a 172, then to my 200 (this time last year, i was still driving the 1.2 lol).

That is a real tear jerker! even the fact that you can see your old clio in the background of the 197 picture!

Bux

Golf GTD
I found the picture of the schlong... from one of the other interesting things that had happened

43630044.jpg

Serviced the car, then a couple weeks later at a meet I just happened to lift the bonnet and find the oil filler cap was missing!
No idea how long it was off for but it lost hardly any oil in it :D

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
I had the same induction kit on my 1.2 :) sounded farking epic tbh!

Bux

Golf GTD
Swapped it for the 197 this morning. The 197 feels so much nicer to drive! But it'll not match the quirkyness of the little 1.2...

I LOVE MY 197!
and i still love my old 1.2

320d
Good read that. Personally I hated my 1.2, never ever missed it.

I'm sure you'll love the 197 more in the end.

Caterham 270R
Great story Tom ( i did read it in Witherspoons Lol ) New car is awsome will pop the pics up over the next few days

Evo 8 MR
Thats a massive step up, just take it easy until your used to the new car, looks great btw.

145db Euro'd clio
nice write up. how old are you and how much is your insurance? thinking about getting one myself soon..

Bux

Golf GTD
nice write up. how old are you and how much is your insurance? thinking about getting one myself soon..

Im 19 with 2 years ncb and it cost me £1681 for the year. I know there's a lot of people who will moan and argue and say things like 'how can you spend that much on insurance? its stupid', but i don't care. Ive had my 1.2 for 2 years and always had my heart set on a 197, now ive got one. Dont regret it one bit.

Weo

Great read!

197 looks good (stripes not good imo)

i too get my 197 hopefully this weekend =-0 cant wait

how the hell is your insurance so low.... am 20 with 3years ncb and the lowest i can get is £2160 =0

although i suppose the fact i claimed, but was a no fault claim for me so shouldn't be £500 difference... surely?

Bux

Golf GTD
Last edited: