ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The long wait is finally over (Williams content)

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
was waiting for this to pop up on detailing world makes me want to keep my 9yr old clio 182 cup in mint condition for ever after seeing threads like this :) great work

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Oh my days!!!!!! Need to see this in the flesh! Wish my valver was this nice :(

225 Cup & Williams
was waiting for this to pop up on detailing world makes me want to keep my 9yr old clio 182 cup in mint condition for ever after seeing threads like this :) great work

Thanks mate!

I'm sure my brother will update that thread on detailingworld with better pics, Paul.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Holy s**t. I want another..:(

Just looking at the seats makes me feel comfy. Possibly some one the best oem seats ive sat in.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Oh god yeah willy seats are amazing - I've never been properly comfy since to be honest.

225 Cup & Williams
So it's been over a year since it's been sprayed and it's still not budged from the garage LOL.

Need to get my finger out and get it sorted for the road.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Oh my days!!!!!! Need to see this in the flesh! Wish my valver was this nice :(

That's just about to get a new inner sill then full respray and under seal. Once it's mechanically sound and I can trust it, she gets the bodywork money lol

559c4820ba1f7056e4bbcd24c9f0dcd0.jpg

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Amazing, truly!

I assume your going to keep hold? If not let me know :)

what mileage has it done?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The W1's are only going to go up in value. There is one on the 1.8 Valve FB group for £2k at the minute and it looks to be worth every penny!

Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 10.10.48.png

225 Cup & Williams
Amazing, truly!

I assume your going to keep hold? If not let me know :)

what mileage has it done?

Nah I won't be selling this mate spent far too much money on it haha.

It's on just over 80k iirc. I've not looked in a long time if in honest.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I like it, sounds like you're building it for you rather than making a few £££'s

225 Cup & Williams
I am Mick I've never seen the point in spending thousands doing up a car to just sell it on.

I've had it over 5 years already and in planning to keep it quite a few more years yet.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It looks great @.Stevo.C. so take as long as you need to do it. I really wanted a W1 myself despite me hating the interior in them (I find the blue clock sets terribly dated now) but after looking at loads, I couldn't find a single decent one for sensible money and lets be honest... a W2 or W3 just aren't the same as a W1 so I compromised on what I wanted and settled for Stu's Valver when it came up.

I'm glad I did now though as they're also pretty rare but I can cross phase certain parts without it upsetting the Williams geeks lol. Matt Brown is supplying the F7R along with a few other trim bits. We're just about to start some metal work repairs to the A pillar/screen then "floor to inner sill" and then if it doesn't piss me off anymore after that lot, it's having a full respray in October. It was supposed to be painted by now but when I was let down by a body shop and then found the bodywork issues I was a bit "F this, scrap it".

I've now come full circle and have the excitement back for the project.

225 Cup & Williams
5476eed17c0ddd8a487f41284f486a94.jpg

I need to get rid of this thing before I get the Williams on the road tbh.

The interior is a bit marmite but personally I love it especially the seats.

Do you reckon that valvers might be rarer than Williams now? I very rarely see any for sale now and when I do they don't hang around for long. You should get some pics of the progress of your one up mate it would be good to see.

Matt brown is thee man for mk1 bits I've bought a lot of stuff off him over the years.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Do you reckon that valvers might be rarer than Williams now? I very rarely see any for sale now and when I do they don't hang around for long. You should get some pics of the progress of your one up mate it would be good to see.

I think they're about on equal footings TBH as there are still a lot of Valvers out there used as serious track toys but there aren't many left in road legal condition. I think DVLA are showing around 400 in road worthy states which considering how many we used to have on show stands in the early 00's is shocking. They aren't worth anywhere near what the Williams seem to be at the minute but like you, I couldn't care less what it is possibly worth as I am doing this for me as i've never owned one before (I was a 19 16v guy). I just don't like how Renault seem to just stop supporting the older vehicles when they could make a small fortune off them with small batch runs of specific parts (window seals, running gear, steering parts) like VW does and the over inflated price is the price.

I think they're about on equal footings TBH as there are still a lot of Valvers out there used as serious track toys but there aren't many left in road legal condition. I think DVLA are showing around 400 in road worthy states which considering how many we used to have on show stands in the early 00's is shocking. They aren't worth anywhere near what the Williams seem to be at the minute but like you, I couldn't care less what it is possibly worth as I am doing this for me as i've never owned one before (I was a 19 16v guy). I just don't like how Renault seem to just stop supporting the older vehicles when they could make a small fortune off them with small batch runs of specific parts (window seals, running gear, steering parts) like VW does and the over inflated price is the price.
I find the lack of love for valvers gutting - yes, they weren't limited edition, but the handling was just as good and they looked pretty much identical, bar some gold bits to tart the Williams up ;)

The Williams just seems to have gained this cult following, while what is basically its twin sister has been left in the corner and forgotten about. If anything they will be rarer than the Williams now or in the near future - so many have been sacrificed to keep other valvers (and Williams) on the road over the years that there aren't many left now.

I want to get mine restored but I need to be in a much better financial position to do so :( I don't want to sell it (despite constant nagging from the missus and my mother) and wouldn't want to let it go once it was resto'd, but it annoys me something chronic that I could plough £3k+ into it to get all the rust sorted and a full respray, yet would struggle to get even a grand and a half for it at the moment if I did sell it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
but it annoys me something chronic that I could plough £3k+ into it to get all the rust sorted and a full respray, yet would struggle to get even a grand and a half for it at the moment if I did sell it.

I think in that situation - you have to take onboard Stevo's view about it. You're pumping money into the car for yourself - not to sell on and (hopefully) make a profit. Certain cars just get under your skin - for no financial or practical sense whatsoever. The thought had crossed my mind (on more than one occasion) to sacrifice the funds for a new car and instead, put them towards stripping the 182 completely and doing a full resto on it. And as Mick points out, being able to get the replacement parts for a 182 before Renault pulls the supply chain completely.

Realistically, what money would I get for a 140k, 2004 BG182 these days? And worse - ploughing £4k+ into it would make little difference in its overall value. But its the memories, the meaning and the experiences of the same car for over the past decade that leave a permanent impression on my mind.

Sentimentality is a powerful thing, if you let it be. And being able to reset the clock, so to speak - is a very compelling argument for spending on the old, rather than funding the new. Do I revamp the existing car that I have a lot of ties to? Or do I dip into the waters of owning a much newer car? It's a tough call.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Indeed, there is really very little difference between the 16v and the Williams bar the engine and running gear really and nearly everyone that comes in to our workshop always spots it and then utters the words "Ooh, a Williams" for me to have to tell them otherwise. Maybe it's the power of Renault marketing from the time which makes people remember them fondly? Its a similar story with the 205GTi Vs the 309GTi in that they were essentially the same car but the 309 just wasn't as popular or as iconic (even though I actually preferred the 309).

I can't obviously tell anyone what to do with their time and money especially not when it comes to restoring a car. It is normally something you do for yourself and cost vs return never creeps in to the equation OR it is something you do with a speculating eye and you're constantly choosing what to do based on what cars hold what value (Probably why the Ford RS's and XR's do so well). I've never owned a Clio 16v or Williams before and despite originally setting out on the "Get a Williams 1" path I am glad I settled for a 16v now as I can change the engine for an F7R and interior to the earlier Mk1 Ph1 because I like it better without fear of upsetting the Willy purist crew. It's a Valver at the end of the day so pretty worthless anyway lol but at least I can enjoy it and know it is mechanically sound for years to come, even if parts aren't there.

Sorry for the thread hijack BTW @.Stevo.C.

I hear what you're both saying - it's a definite case of head arguing with heart!

I had a complete suspension overhaul to full williams spec (all bar the subframe) courtesy of @Matbrown, and the difference betwen the saggy, knackered valver setup and a fresh Williams setup was beyond stark - it was a different car!

You can pitch it in to pretty much any corner and it will just stick, with no understeer unless you've completely misjudged the surface conditions and your tyres' grip. Lift off oversteer at 80mph? Not an issue, get your foot back down and steer where you want to go, the car is with you the whole way.

I think that, as always in life, a lot more money would solve all my issues lol as it would then be possible to keep old and buy new as well! I just hate to think that if I sold mine, someone would have it stripped for parts and cubed :(

@MicKPM - I think you'll like valver ownership! Just get it properly undersealed and protected, and wash underneath the arches and sills regularly... lol

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's already booked in for the removal of all brake lines, covers and exhaust when it has the bit of welding done. Full chemical clean followed by an underseal to the floor and wheel arches. This fudger ain't rusting away on my watch!