ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Mysterious Beeping Noise

2005 CLIO EXTREME 4
Alright so I'm driving myself a little crazy here as apparently nobody in the history of the internet has had this problem.

When my car (Extreme 4, 2005, 1.2, 16v, petrol) is running there is a very loud electronic 'beep' coming from the engine bay about every 3 seconds. It isn't loud enough to hear inside the car but can be clearly heard standing outside. I've stuck my head under the bonnet and it SEEMS to be coming from the front of the engine around the starter motor. For the life of me I cant imagine why there would be something like a sensor that would produce a beep on the actual engine, instead of popping up a dashboard warning light. It doesn't stop, its there immediately after startup, and it'll still be beeping after I've finished driving.

I had a battery die (it was the original, the AA man was well impressed) and I seem to remember the beeping starting at a similar time. Also the AA dude commented that my starter motor is on the way out, and he must be good because the past couple of weeks it has been acting up (it spins but seems to not contact the flywheel. after another key turn or two it'll start straight away. This sound right? Bad starter?). Reckon this could be a early warning system on the starter? I'm looking for a replacement right now.

Focus RS + S3
Sounds a strange one, maybe worth getting a video of the noise and uploading,

In regards to the starter, i thought mine was on my way out on my 1.2 16v, id turn the key and nothing happened (yours doesnt sound like this but worth a look)

The little white exciter wire to the starter motor, the connector was green and corroded, chopped it off for a nice new spade connector and has been great since

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Have you ever seen a film called Speed?

Seriously though that's weird one. I've heard of reverse light bulbs which beep, but none that would be in the front clusters. Aftermarket alarm maybe, hidden in the front bumper behind the fog lights?

Videos definitely required.

2005 CLIO EXTREME 4
I dont think speed would be as exciting in a clio, wouldnt mind riding with sandra though.
Would you believe it went away for about a week (just like when you finally get a bloody doctors apointment). But its back now here's the video.

Its a little hard to hear in the video but the beeping is louder than the engine in real life. Also ive noticed a small plume of white smoke coming from the front left of the bonnet when sat idle after driving which scared the hell out of me the first time, and cant find the source, dont know if the two are connected.

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If you hear it shout Allahu Ackbar, get out and run like mad.

White smoke or steam? Could be coolant boiling over, could be electrics smouldering.

2005 CLIO EXTREME 4
To me its too uniform in timing and sounds like an 'electrical' beep. But i'll get right in checking this washer idea. Thanks fellas.