ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new purchase is lumpy with miss fire :(

clio 172
Hi all,

I was hoping some of you guys maybe able to steer me in the right direction.

Ive just bought a 172 (2002) with 75k miles. During the test drive it was smoth and powerful, but on long trip home the car became very stuttery in low revs and then the EML came on. :mad:

At 4th and 5th the car was fine and if I let my foot off a bit the car settled and drove ok.

I took it straight to a local garage who plugged it in and said. "I cant tell whats wrong, just that there is a problem with engine" When I came to pick it up the mechanic advised hes replacing the coil pack and plugs as one of the plugs has split taking out the coil and HT lead. I got a 3 items replaced which has cleaned me out with the car purchase too, but the problem is still there.

It is much better than before however I am still getting a miss fire feeling at low revs and 1st to 3rd gear, no EML light now but the service light remains on. The mechanic did check the 'lamda???' (sorry not sure of the name) but he said that was fine.

Really just looking for advise as I was sure the new plugs and coil pack was going to sort it. Could it be he hasnt fitted the plugs right? :S

FF Clio 182 Silver
Pre cat sensor (lambda sensor) or a throttle body issue

Sensors are about £70 from a mtor factors

Last edited by a moderator:
  clio 172
I guess that would be pretty unlucky for the sensor to be knackered on top of the engine work I just had done! I'll PM you if it comes down to the sensor but its 2 weeks of living in the overdraft for now.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Did the car have its engine steam cleaned prior to sale?

Was it from a dealer? If it was, why didn't you take it back?

Oh, and find another local garage. Yours sounds rubbish! lol.

Clio 172 Sport
Hi, I had an injector fail on my last 172 which caused a misfire identical to a failed plug or lead. To check take the top manifold off and take the injector rail out complete with injectors. Give the injectors a liberal soak with WD40 and wiggle gently side to side to unstick the rubber o ring seals once the bolts have been removed. Turn the rail upside down whilst someone else cranks the car and make sure that your face is away from the inje ctors, and no source of flame is nearby. All 4 injectors should squirt the same amount and at the same angle. If one either doesnt work or squirts less swap them over on the rail and check its the injector not the wiring or rail. If the injectors are faulty they can be had for around £35 each on fleabay! Any questions please ask!

53 Clio's & counting
What plugs did they use mate? I personally have experienced having the wrong plugs in the F4R, and it normally makes a misfire, mine did it every four seconds or so on idle - They need NGK PFR6E-10

Black Gold Trophy
with Russ on this one, they can run like sh*t with the wrong plugs, and I would get yourself to another garage

clio 172
I almost enjoyed trouble free driving to work this morning then back it came the inevitable miss fire and kangaroo hopping in low gears.

It was a private sale so no dealer come back for me!
It wasnt steam cleaned (thank christ) because I found the weekend the engine bay fuse box lid is broken and from owning a DCI with a corroded fuse box I know how that can damage the wallet! Ive taped the lid down for now.
I'll find out what plugs they used tonight, I know the brand but not the product code.
I know another chap who is pretty good, else im going to have to go to Renault on pay day as this is starting to annoy me.

Passat tdi
Exactly then same thing has happened to me, same car same age same milage, also on the long drive home from collecting.

I have also changed the coil/plugs/leads and also a damn good service and the problem persists.

I haven't had time to get any diagnostics done but would be interested to see if we have the same issue

clio 172
Just got a text from the mechanic, NGK plugs are PFR6E10. So the correct ones for my Clio. He said the lambda was okay.

I'll try and find out the other points raised earlier.

clio 172
Could* my issues with the miss fire be down to timing? The cambelt was changed just 7k miles ago and the previous owner never let on about any issues since but it doesnt say anything about the timing or pullys. Just worried it might go bang any second.

clio 172
Ive found a local garage that has all the Renault kit for changing the belts and has been recommended by a mate whose 172 went bang. Dropping it down there today to get the ECU read, hopefully it may at least give an idea as to what the problem is. Fingers crossed!

clio 172
For the chap who wanted to see the outcome of my missfire fault, I took the Clio in today and found the new HT lead connected to plug 1 was broken during fitting, GREAT!

The spark was arching out the lead causing the miss fire. The second garage suggested by a former Clio sport owner recommended them and I have to say they did a fantastic job. Obviously not a hard fault to find but he had it just 5 min's, hooked into the ECU reader and fixed for now till I can get the other garage to get me some new HT leads.

He recommended sticking to Renault ones rather than the aftermarket ones the first garaged sourced.

Do you guys think I have grounds to get the new Renault leads free of charge? It was getting worse and with the EML coming on again their clumsiness could have caused serious damage to the CAT. :mad: