ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Whip

Evo 8 MR
Added a few bits recently.

As you can see I've fitted a set of matt black standard rims, Injen short ram intake, JBR turbo inlet pipe and a HKS SSQV blow off valve.

Makes a little bit more noise now. :)

04081303.jpg

04081304.jpg

Nice Mazda, i've got an SP23 and its quite nippy, so can imagine what a turbo could add to the car. What is life like in Perth? Im in Gladstone, QLD, was thinking about a move out West.

Evo 8 MR
Nice Mazda, i've got an SP23 and its quite nippy, so can imagine what a turbo could add to the car. What is life like in Perth? Im in Gladstone, QLD, was thinking about a move out West.

Well I moved here from the UK so the difference is night and day. Compared to over east though? Can't really say.

Evo 8 MR
It's been a while! Couple of changes to note but not many pictures. I got sick of the matte black rims as it was a spray can job the paint kept flaking off so I had the original set of silver rims powdercoated gloss black and threw a set of KU31s on there for good measure.

1464121_10152077648141189_51812021_n.jpg

1460096_10152077647581189_525511697_n.jpg

I also painted the badges black, changed the rear badge for an "evil M" badge and changed the mazda badge to a mazdaspeed one. No pictures but the "evil M" looks like this.

6emblem.gif

Also fitted a CP-e downpipe which was a massive ballache of a job and uprated high pressure fuel pump internals. Again no pics but looks similar to this.

F75655293.gif

I also decided to get a private plate, only because they're so cheap over here.

1234074_10151935549056189_254760468_n.jpg

I removed the HKS SSQV blow off valve and reverted back to the stock BPV as I was told it's "not good" apparently.

Latest mod is the COBB FMIC kit which was a doddle to fit and I'm most impressed with.

1507798_10152200486206189_899222513_n.jpg

1555401_10152212166291189_232503171_n.jpg

1601569_10152212166576189_710794130_n.jpg

Unfortunately though it's only running about 13.5 psi max at the moment as it's leaking from the boost control solenoid (my fault I snapped it ages ago, been bodged ever since) so I've got an aftermarket one on the way which should be here tomorrow. Once I install that and get myself a custom tune from the local guru I can run it in 3 port mode for better boost control and max out the turbo at around 19 psi. Then I will get some proper up to date pictures.

Evo 8 MR
Noticed a fair few pictures popping up on Facebook.

Cars looks well mate, I imagine it's got a fair bit more grunt than your Cup. lol

Yeah difference is night and day, as I'm sure you know.

Sorted the boost leak, it's now peaking at 21.5 psi and the massive increase in power from before was well worth all the faffing about to fix it.

02021402copy-1.jpg

02021404copy-1.jpg

Evo 8 MR
New issue now, still going through the mapping process and as I was doing a WOT datalog the knock r****d went crazy so as it turns out the knock sensor is picking up false knock so I've got to find what's causing it before I can go any further with the mapping which is kind of annoying but first thing to check is injector seals.

Apparently they are quite common to go once you start upping the boost.

Very nice, weather looks a bit cr@p though .....

It wasn't too hot it was only 31 degrees. :rasp:

Coming along nicely steve!

Hope all is going well out there for you.

Yes pal things are great! Well most things. Can't believe you've ditched your famous legendary name what's that about?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great. Needs a good wax though. Still, if I was in 30c heat my car wouldn't get cleaned..lol

Evo 8 MR
Looks great. Needs a good wax though. Still, if I was in 30c heat my car wouldn't get cleaned..lol

I have to wash it either first thing in the morning or early evening in the summer otherwise it's just a bit of a nightmare!

I did wax it when I first got it but there's still loads of swirl marks, I've been thinking about getting it detailed by a pro for a while, I might have it done once the tune is sorted.

Thats good news then, still working at the same place?

I thought I would try something new and confuse everyone a bit!

You've certainly done that! Still seems weird seeing your fb comments about the 182.

Still working at the same place yeah, I have to otherwise I'll get deported haha.

Evo 8 MR
Doing my head in now, replaced the injector seals for some slightly better ones from Toyota, cleaned the intake valves and fitted an oil catch can with check valve but it's STILL picking up false knock.

Starting to think maybe it's the VVT actuator or timing chain noise.

Evo 8 MR
Mate had the 6MPS and it needed the mazda equivalent of the dephaser done on his, could be that?

I think that's the vvt actuator.

I viewed the datalog in excel and the false knock is only there when it hits the limiter so I'm gonna perform a couple more logs to be sure but hopefully it has fixed it. I'm gonna lift off just before the limiter this time.

Evo 8 MR
Arent the VVT actuator failing massively common on these?

On the first gen they were yeah, Mazda replaced the part for a more solid unit on the gen 2.

I've done a couple more logs this afternoon this time being careful to not hit the limiter and all is good so I've now got a revised map to flash tomorrow with more timing etc.

Evo 8 MR
Mapping finished now here's the final graph. Figures are shown ATW.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392677391.141090.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392677391.141090.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 108
It doesn't by the looks of things, TomSx - first thing is says is "use software to log your cars data?". So one presumes is a tool to draw graphs based on your logs from VCDS for example. Jolly useful! Thanks for bringing it up!

Evo 8 MR
Switched back to the HKS SSQV BOV yesterday but I've set it up to recirculate rather than vent and I noticed straight away that it holds boost better between gear changes so there's instant power as soon as I go back on the throttle.

Also the noise it makes isn't as loud as it was in VTA so it's a lot more subtle.

Evo 8 MR
Ordered some CP-e engine mounts, I can really feel the engine jumping around now.

Took some random pics after giving it a vacuum. I want to focus on giving the engine bay a tidy up soon starting with painting the rocker cover.

01031409copy.jpg

01031403copy.jpg

01031405copy.jpg

01031410copy.jpg

Evo 8 MR
Just over a week ago the con rod on cylinder one snapped and put a hole in the front and the back of the block. So currently it's off the road and in bits until I can get all the parts I need to put it back together which won't be until after christmas as a lot of it is coming from the states.
So far I've ordered some Manley H-beam rods and I'm looking at Wiseco pistons but I want to wait until the replacement block gets here to assess the bores.

DSC_0061copy.jpg

DSC_0057copy.jpg

DSC_0058copy.jpg

DSC_0055copy.jpg

DSC_0062copy.jpg

DSC_0063copy.jpg