ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The perfect fast road set up for a clio 1*2??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im looking to do a full suspension refresh in the near future, is it worth fitting polybushes on a fast road car that may occasionally go on track or would the oem bushes be good enough?

In my opinon no it isnt, they are VERY slightly less flexible than brand new OEM (people too often compare them to worn out OEM as that is what they normally replace with them!) but the OEM will last 100K+miles no problem and the powerflex ones will not.
So for the tiny tiny improvement in handling initially its not worth it for the fact that not much later they will have more play than the standard mounts as they wear more as there is actually movement of one part rubbing against another (the metal pin ends up turning in the bush) where as in the standard bushes there is not.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Yeah I'm trying to price together what's best to get atm, thinking cup shocks with cooksports, cup wishbones then I'm not really sure haha

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I'm trying to price together what's best to get atm, thinking cup shocks with cooksports, cup wishbones then I'm not really sure haha

That, plus new track rods and new track rod ends and some new standard top mounts = very nice handling car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The difference between our RB182 (totally standard 121K miles) and our 172 (over 150K miles but everything replaced with new genuine parts, cup shocks, cup wishbones and cooksport springs) is just absolutely night and day, the 172 is a pleasure to drive hard but the 182 just feels all vague and horrible, I quite literally hate it currently when im pressing on a bit!

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Yeah at first I just wanted coilovers but I think this is the better route to go and less money than decent coilovers which is a bonus

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah at first I just wanted coilovers but I think this is the better route to go and less money than decent coilovers which is a bonus

On the road I think the best possible setup is probably the sachs trophy dampers with cooksport, closely followed by cup dampers and cooksport.

Even the expensive coilovers like ASTs etc arent as nice on the road IMHO, yes they allow faster cornering on track, but on the road with undulations mid bend etc, the more forgiving setup makes for better confidence when making fast progress down b roads etc.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully my Ph1 will be a good drive on the road when I get it back (end of the week all going well).

New brakes and braided hoses all round, Brembo HC and DS2500 up front. ATE blue fluid.
New Cup arms, ball joints, shocks and Cooksport springs.
New tie rods, rod ends and rack bushes.
Piper cams, ported and polished head with Supertech valves, ARP bolts, billet flywheel, matched inlets and ITG filter, aircon removed
182 manifold, Ktec sports cat, Ktec recessed system.
Rebuilt box with Quaife diff and 4.067 final drive. New clutch, driveshafts and CV joints.
Relocated lightweight battery (under passenger seat).
OZ F1 with 205/50-R15 Federal RSR.

Things I need to do are take out the sound deadening and tar pads, get a cheap pair of Cobra buckets for trackdays only.

I'm going to weigh a 172 Cup interior to compare with my Ph1 interior and see what the weight saving is, looking at a set of marguard windows and some other bits to get the weight down.

Considering a Safety Devices cage with removable diagonal and harness bar too so I can have the full interior and fits the bars back in for track use.

The difference between our RB182 (totally standard 121K miles) and our 172 (over 150K miles but everything replaced with new genuine parts, cup shocks, cup wishbones and cooksport springs) is just absolutely night and day, the 172 is a pleasure to drive hard but the 182 just feels all vague and horrible, I quite literally hate it currently when im pressing on a bit!

Part of that is just cos you have fitted new parts in the 172. If you replaced springs, shocks, ball joints, bushes, etc., with new OEM versions in the 182 I bet it would make a massive difference. All this stuff will be worn or sloppy after so many years.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
My PH1-

All standard steering rack components- only 50k
H&R coilovers
Rear ARB
DS2500 + Ferodo pads.

Finishing off this week with new pilots sport 3's & geometry completion again.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Part of that is just cos you have fitted new parts in the 172. If you replaced springs, shocks, ball joints, bushes, etc., with new OEM versions in the 182 I bet it would make a massive difference. All this stuff will be worn or sloppy after so many years.

of course it is, that's what Chip is pointing out!

I recently done the works on mine with all the cup parts etc plus a set of eibachs and its epic the way it drives now, steering feel, road holding, you can drive it flat out everywhere if you choose and don't feel nervous especially over uneaven surfaces etc which before it was all over the place!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

of course it is, that's what Chip is pointing out!

I recently done the works on mine with all the cup parts etc plus a set of eibachs and its epic the way it drives now, steering feel, road holding, you can drive it flat out everywhere if you choose and don't feel nervous especially over uneaven surfaces etc which before it was all over the place!

Lol, glad someone understood what I meant although I thought it was obvious.

Just to clarify though in case anyone still isnt sure, the point I was making is that our 172 has 30K more miles on it than our 172, but because Ive replaced every suspension and steering component on the 172 recently it now drives exactly like a new car again, and these cars were great when they were new so that is a good thing, but our 182 which I havent yet replaced anything on is all sloppy and old and horrible and thats what any clio 172/182 you pick up now tends to be like unless it gets a refresh, even if its a low miles one on only 60 or 80k, thats still plenty to justify replacing everything.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lots of people i know run the eibachs on track with good results, interested in how the cook sports perform

We went from eibachs and cup springs with all new suspension and steering parts, to the same setup except for swapping to cooksport springs and its noticeably better.

Although we have now gone to cooksport front and eibach rear as it sits the car at what we feel is a perfect height, this also works very well as its the fronts that you notice the difference with as the eibachs just allow a little too much front end bodyroll.

Lancia Integrale
We went from eibachs and cup springs with all new suspension and steering parts, to the same setup except for swapping to cooksport springs and its noticeably better.

Although we have now gone to cooksport front and eibach rear as it sits the car at what we feel is a perfect height, this also works very well as its the fronts that you notice the difference with as the eibachs just allow a little too much front end bodyroll.

Thanks- that's confirmed what I was going towards, just got to wait for the springs to come back in stock! :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
think ill order a set of cooksports, ive always used cup dampers and eibachs on all my 172s so just ordered away this time without actually looking into it, cooksports didn't exist last time I done a refresh!