ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The possible demise of the site

I feel this site is not as good as i it used to be, in my opinion this site was best 6 mths or so ago when there was a very large technical content, there were arguments, but they were constructive arguments about differnt approaches and theories to engine tuning,

I felt a sort of pecking order being established with the knowlegable people helping those who were prepared to listen, i will always have time to accept the advice those who are more knowlegable on a subject, then i can form my own opinions from what i have heard,

Since then the site has taken a gradual shift in direction

The thing i feel is spoiling the website is the very clicky and personal relationship people have developed, this has two problems, - it makes it less welcoming to new members, - and it causes arguments where some one has a go at thier mate, I feel that because it is a web site we need to argue to make it intresting, and therefore personal topics shouldnt be open to debate

and some people will hate this but i believe that some people (single women) that are joining purley for friendship it seems, (maybe to meet a boyfriend)

One thing i that has always annoyed me about this site and it is becoming increasingly more so, is the base model owners who have nothing usefull to contribute and talk about "Kits" "Badboy Bonnets" "Neons" this is OK as its easy to sift through these posts but they seem to be increasing in volume, and it would be nice if there could be some sort or segrigation?

With Joe gone we have lost one of the 2 or 3 "Teachers" on the techy side, and i think this is a great loss, and i think it is in-directly because of the above reasons,

If anyone knows of a strictly techy website i would appreciate a link,

This isnt a moan so much as constructive critisisme,

I personally only really view with intrest posts in the power/mechanical forum, and that is still clogged up with nonsense from "RT" owners about pointless things that have been gone over a milion times before, maybe they should visit the maxpower website as well?

I agree with you mate but you know there will be some stick now directed at you for the single women comment, and that underlies the whole problem currently with the site, it is becoming personal and not about the main thing we are here for CLIOs!!! All I say is get rid of the stars and get everyone on a level playing field again.

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah I do agree with some of the things youre saying Lofty. I think one of the big problems is that Cliosport is not only an online community, but also a real world community as well. There are countless clubs out there who do all their stuff online and might bump into each other once a year. But Cliosport *is* different, we talk online, learn from each other, argue with each other, meet up for a race or a meal or a show or whatever - should we tell people that theyre not allowed to make friends with each other when they meet up for all the different club events that go on?

New members have always been welcome and always will be, thats the reason Cliosport started. Naturally as the club grows, things change. Thats just the way it is (in the words of Bruce Hornsby & the Range!)

If I may make a point about the teachers on the site (I do know what you mean), IMHO one of the big reasons that there are not so many good productive threads on here as say 6 months ago, is that a lot of self-taught, cack-handed Clio enthusiasts (me included!) used to be able to chuck in their tupennys worth and whoever asked the original question would pick out what they needed from all the answers. I think now a lot of these genuine Clio enthusiasts feel that they cant give their own opinions about stuff theyve done or know about, because theres always gonna be someone out there whos gonna try and poo-poo their ideas in a kind of high-handed Im a veteran pit mechanic/racer/car nut and I know best style. Im not the only one to notice that these non-member experts didnt seem to be here 6 months ago (or maybe they just lurking) - like I say,its not just me, lots of people have the same opinion, theyre just not so vocal about things as you or I!

I do not have a problem with anybody on this site it needs a variety of people, or it would have collapsed a long time ago, I think the comments aimed at Squirt172 were harsh and un-needed, at the end of the day the post was made in the off-topic section and that is what it was and it was what she felt, but again I do not believe that the Captain meant to be nasty in anyway shape or form it is just how he is, to solve issues about using the forum why not just make it a members only forum, but then you lose then input from other car owners which is often very interesting.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Phew, thank goodness that I am happily married and not looking for a boyfriend, as I love chatting to everybody, female or male!

:)

mk2 172

i agree with a lot of stuff thats being said iv been around a year now and things have changed a lot, and theres too much spam. everyone should be out racin then reporting back;). the site does seem to be heading down the ssc route which is a shame that cant be helped as volumes of people increase. we will know this when we get our first "hug" topic where everyone writes hug or something equally anal.

ps, i organised a race in the pub last night with a prodrive impreza and an elise for next week, iv raced the lizzy before but should be good fun

craggy

perhaps we should have a dedicated topic of the week or wutever? perhaps we can all chip in to it n make it more constructive

Lionel Richie

I have to say that all the bitching can be annoying. "DISCUSSION FORUM"????? Ring any bells anyone???? Discuss topics, not have huge arguments with people over the size of you flux capacitor. I really like this forum and everyone on it, lets please not ruin it.

Yes "boy racers" exist, but i would say that everyone on here is a clio/general car enthusiast. Just cos some people cant afford a 172 etc doesnt mean they should be slated for driving about in a 1.2 with the tunes banging out!!! (Different ages, different tastes) Theyre not hurrting anyone so leave them be.

This is a brilliant club, i have met loads of mint people, and have never had one complaint about any of the CS TEAM

Fred

Skoda Fabia vRS

i agree with some of the things said, but what i definitely dont agree with is you having a go at people with a less powerful car than yourself, if i could afford to insure a 16v/whatever then i would, but for now im perfectly happy with my RT

this was one of the major reasons that kept me away from this club in the first place, and lots of other people agreed with me, we all felt it was a 172 club so didnt bother joining, this is a Clio site, not a sports model clio site, why should people who cant afford a faster clio be discriminated against, i now feel is evened up a bit, and i can talk to other RT owners on here

i agree about the max power stuff to an extent, but each to there own aswell

i agree with Nick about peoples opinions being rubbished, and then those people posting less, some people may know more about a topic, but sometimes any advice is good advice, no need to have a go at what was said before, you can disagree subtly

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

"I personally only really view with intrest posts in the power/mechanical forum, and that is still clogged up with nonsense from "RT" owners about pointless things that have been gone over a milion times before, maybe they should visit the maxpower website as well?"

Comments like this are a bit short sited and I back Brun here and infact all the owners of smaller engined Clios.

Afterall is it says in the banner on the first page "CLIOSPORT is a unique car club for all Clio enthusiasts."

I think it is great that people like Brun have such a passion over his car and I say keep up the good word. If the case that all people with lesser sized engines should "should visit the maxpower website" then most of the people including the drivers of the 16vs should do the same and then you will see how boring the board and how quickly the site really demises.

Brun keep on posting mate case you are part of the wood work now mate (In a good sense of the word), I think you have a passion most people dream about.

CB

At the end of the day people have different ideas and belives if every 1 had the same outlook on life what a boring world it would be as every 1 is intitled to an opion

but no 1 is entitled to be abusive on a personal leveland what is wrong with joining a club to make friends !!

I mean we could all meet up and not talk to each other !

john

I am a bit behind on the forum lately, work pressures etc., but wheres Joe gone??? I take it Joe is Captain Slarty? If hes gone that will be a great loss to the club, cos he knew his engines..... :(

i may be wrong here?

I think the forum is great, try to have a look as often as i can, friendships have built up over the months, and this is good, its what the club is about!! Seems like the forum goes through fazes, sometimes techy, sometimes more general, sometimes bitchy when someone stirs everyone up, but thats good, in the words of my old art tutor, "its organic!"(ooer)...must admit I do like it when it gets all techy and race/motorsport orientated.. :)) thats just me though....and I think its wrong that people think single girls are on here trying to pull, does that mean people want it male only or married women only?? bit ridiculous really....hope it aint true as well as my girlfriend would stop me looking at the forum...EEEEEKKKK!!! shes none too keen on me looking at it all the time now!!!

I was not going to post again on this forum as I felt I was slightly to blame for Joes departure, but after reading this post - that some women only joined to meet a boyfriend !! Jesus how fappin sexist is that? I am probably more into cars than some of the blokes on here & been working in the motor industry for 15 years! My car is my pride & joy & gets a lot of respect & attention which is why I modified it, not to get a shag. What a waste of 5k that would be!! So lets cut the sexist crap, there have been many male threads on here about sexy women etc & I read em & laugh with the rest. But also I read all the technical tips etc.

As for Joe going being a major loss......not too sure, read a few of his topics & I must say he did not seem correct on all of em. But what would I know being a mere girly...

** So much for not posting again **:mad:

wasnt trying to direct any sort of critisme at Brun,

He is very helpfull on a loads of subjects, and the points he raises are always of intrest (even if i have been know to take the micky about of his oil fetish)

The sad fract is, With Joe gone I will have to go elsewhere on the odd occasion to get advice on certain in depth matters, and thats a shame,

Also have noticed what Nick mentions, and i have proably posted less as a result and that is a shame, but instead i normaly put "as far as i know" or "if wrong then i stand corrected" that way it saves my blushes when give duff advice

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Lofty,

There are other indivduals on this club with sound technical knowlege mate. Its just one or two people who slate that knowlege so the posters dont bother to post anymore.

I try and help as does everyone else but it is hard when you get the come back that you are wrong and they are right end of story !

This is narrow minded and defies the point on this being a DISCUSSION FORUM.

Everyone has a right to an opinion as do you but be open to listen to other as there is generally a good knowlege on this board but others try and undermine that knowlege in the fact THEY ALWAYS KNOW BETTER.

This is a rich source of info if you take time to stop and take note !

CB

Well now im concerned, i joined about 6 months ago cos my birthday present to my self was a bright shiny johnny clio.....

I know a bit about cars and give advice where i can or constructive critisism, after all like squirt I have been in the motor trade since leaving school...........11 years or sommit...........

Im a girlie but not looking for love just friendship amongst other people who understand my passion for a clio (others just say its a old girlie car)....

Sooooooooooo what im wondering is this a personal attack on me from lofy?? ;)

Now the technical bit, "two revelotions of the crankshaft equals one working stroke".............

S2000

I too agree it was better 6 months or so ago. Alot of people have joined the forum since then if not the club. The more people that join it is only natural that the more clashes of personality will occur.

Part of the club is going to meets and events and if the same people go regularly they will obviously get to know each other. The people that dont go for whatever reason obviously wont get to know anyone more personally than just posting to them on the forum. Does that mean people shouldnt make friends with others from the forum cos people that havent met them feel they are being "clicky" with each other??

And as for "One thing i that has always annoyed me about this site and it is becoming increasingly more so, is the base model owners who have nothing usefull to contribute and talk about "Kits" "Badboy Bonnets" "Neons" this is OK as its easy to sift through these posts but they seem to be increasing in volume, and it would be nice if there could be some sort or segrigation?"

and "I personally only really view with intrest posts in the power/mechanical forum, and that is still clogged up with nonsense from "RT" owners about pointless things that have been gone over a milion times before, maybe they should visit the maxpower website as well?"

no wonder some users feel 172 drivers cant be arsed with anyone else on here. This club/forum is for ALL clio drivers/owners. Always has been always will be.

Wayne

Quote: Originally posted by lofty on 27 October 2002

I feel this site is not as good as i it used to be, in my opinion this site was best 6 mths or so ago when there was a very large technical content, there were arguments, but they were constructive arguments about differnt approaches and theories to engine tuning,

I felt a sort of pecking order being established with the knowlegable people helping those who were prepared to listen, i will always have time to accept the advice those who are more knowlegable on a subject, then i can form my own opinions from what i have heard,

Since then the site has taken a gradual shift in direction

The thing i feel is spoiling the website is the very clicky and personal relationship people have developed, this has two problems, - it makes it less welcoming to new members, - and it causes arguments where some one has a go at thier mate, I feel that because it is a web site we need to argue to make it intresting, and therefore personal topics shouldnt be open to debate

and some people will hate this but i believe that some people (single women) that are joining purley for friendship it seems, (maybe to meet a boyfriend)

One thing i that has always annoyed me about this site and it is becoming increasingly more so, is the base model owners who have nothing usefull to contribute and talk about "Kits" "Badboy Bonnets" "Neons" this is OK as its easy to sift through these posts but they seem to be increasing in volume, and it would be nice if there could be some sort or segrigation?

With Joe gone we have lost one of the 2 or 3 "Teachers" on the techy side, and i think this is a great loss, and i think it is in-directly because of the above reasons,

If anyone knows of a strictly techy website i would appreciate a link,

This isnt a moan so much as constructive critisisme,

I personally only really view with intrest posts in the power/mechanical forum, and that is still clogged up with nonsense from "RT" owners about pointless things that have been gone over a milion times before, maybe they should visit the maxpower website as well?

S2000

Ignore the stars.

Quote: Originally posted by 16v Clio on 27 October 2002

I agree with you mate but you know there will be some stick now directed at you for the single women comment, and that underlies the whole problem currently with the site, it is becoming personal and not about the main thing we are here for CLIOs!!! All I say is get rid of the stars and get everyone on a level playing field again.

hehe, In my browser, I can block images - How easy would it be to block all the star images from being downloaded and displayed? Nice!

I aint doing it though - There are going to be "access levels" on anything.. lets just get on with talking Clios. :)

Daz.

S2000

You gonna fit all those cars in a pub, mind the punters :p

Quote: Originally posted by Craggy on 27 October 2002

i agree with a lot of stuff thats being said iv been around a year now and things have changed a lot, and theres too much spam. everyone should be out racin then reporting back. the site does seem to be heading down the ssc route which is a shame that cant be helped as volumes of people increase. we will know this when we get our first "hug" topic where everyone writes hug or something equally anal.

ps, i organised a race in the pub last night with a prodrive impreza and an elise for next week, iv raced the lizzy before but should be good fun

craggy

S2000

Here here well said Fred

Wayne

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 27 October 2002

I have to say that all the bitching can be annoying. "DISCUSSION FORUM"????? Ring any bells anyone???? Discuss topics, not have huge arguments with people over the size of you flux capacitor. I really like this forum and everyone on it, lets please not ruin it.

Yes "boy racers" exist, but i would say that everyone on here is a clio/general car enthusiast. Just cos some people cant afford a 172 etc doesnt mean they should be slated for driving about in a 1.2 with the tunes banging out!!! (Different ages, different tastes) Theyre not hurrting anyone so leave them be.

This is a brilliant club, i have met loads of mint people, and have never had one complaint about any of the CS TEAM

Fred

mk2 172

wayne - its got a big reception room, about a 1/4 mile actually, and i live my life a 1/4 mile at a time, for those 15 seconds or less nothing else matters:p

Yes I own a 172 but do not think I am better than anyone else with whatever car they have. I started off with an 850 Mini which I regularly stripped down & played with to learn a bit more about them. Since then I owned 5 more Minis & an MGB gt. I did not get a nice fast car till I was 34 so feel very lucky but still have great respect for anyone with a passion for cars whether it be a Metro or TVR.

S2000

lol

Quote: Originally posted by Craggy on 27 October 2002

wayne - its got a big reception room, about a 1/4 mile actually, and i live my life a 1/4 mile at a time, for those 15 seconds or less nothing else matters

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah sorry I forgot to make it clearer in my first reply; Cliosport *is* and always will be for *all* Clios regardless of model and engine size. The admin staff and area reps have all sorts of different Clios and thats as it should be. The members have an even greater variety (cos theres a lot more of them!) which you can see on the member list. I think the growth of the club *has* contributed to what I might call a younger crowd on here, first time drivers and modders with crazy ideas and little money, but a lot of us were there once, I know I was...a Fiesta 1.0 Popular with a mono PA speaker in a teak cabinet in the boot, connected to the Roadstar stereo with an electric guitar lead, complete with some huge sticker across the back window...but why not? If people want to ask about LED washer jets for their Clio, then fair enough; Id hate it for the club to be made up of people with identical cars...what would be the fun in that? Interesting point though Lofty!:)

williams and trophy

well what can ui say?

ive probably started more heated discussions on this forum than most lol and taken a hell of a lot of flak over the couple years ive been on this(and the RSC) forum.....i still post MY OPINIONS on stuff and to be honest i dont give a fuk if i upset people or not like i said it MY opinion

and as for starting somewhere and adding lots of plastic bits to your car................sorry thats not me ....... after i passed my test i had a mini 1000....wasnt long before it had the BIG BORE and a K&N on it with a ram pipe shoved in there too. after that i started gettin into more serious engine tuning....then when i got a car that was quik enuff for me.a 1340 mini with a spec list as long as my arm lol.........i started looking at body mods....no plastic here..............de-seaming and flip front(steel 1 i might add) along with a webasto sunroof were order of the day.....after selling that 1 i bought yet another mini and with another hi-spec engine i chopped the roof off and flip fronted that 1 also..........for some summer fun u understand lol

now im the proud owner of a willy and used to have a valver and to me its the power that matters really not the looks............

but i still post my opinion on the body kits etc cos thats what people ask for ..if they dont like my opinion do they really take it on board? if people wanna do summat there gunna do it no matter what

cheesr

jon

Ive been away from the forums for the weekend. Its a bit dis-heatening to come back to this.

But, on the other hand, Cliosport allowed a group of us to make contact and meet this weekend in Cardiff.

Thats just one of the many positive things that Cliosport enables.

People come and go. Ultimately, were all doomed to die - so why not look on the bright side for now!

"Always look on the bright side of life, da da, da da, da da da da...":D

Surely every1 comes on here 2 talk about Clios and 2 make new friends, not 2 pick up a date, whether u r male or female.

Every1 is entitled 2 their own opinions and views, so ur bound 2 get clashes, I dont think Ive come accross a forum yet that doesnt.

Some good points there. But not all are. (not too sure how to do the quote thing so this will have to do.

"One thing i that has always annoyed me about this site and it is becoming increasingly more so, is the base model owners who have nothing usefull to contribute and talk about "Kits" "Badboy Bonnets" "Neons" this is OK as its easy to sift through these posts but they seem to be increasing in volume, and it would be nice if there could be some sort or segrigation?"

Thats crap! Its a clio club where people mod there cars, Mods are to make your car different and how you want it. Its a matter of taste, maybe some people think your engine conversion is bollox but you dont see them crying about it. And the club is for all clios 172 williams or a 1.2 RN everyone should be made to feel welcome.

Its funny that posts like this get the most attention and cause more arguements!

Skoda Fabia vRS

hi lofty ive replied to your PM mate, no problem, all sorted

and...................erm, oil fetish, who?........me ? :oops:

(im actually gonna be doin an oil change again in the next few weeks hehe - SILKOLENE !!!)

LOL......

lofty, you started a right twister!

anyway, what teh hell happened in the 1 day i was away.....im gonna have to go look up the gossip! hehe

Clio v6

I think if I was doing a mod like filter or something similar, I could call on some techy advice here. Or even pop round to a members house for help if they are near by. ( try doing that on line )

It isnt all great technical knowledge we all need. Some times its simple fixes like bug sprays , shampoos, etc;

Sure I like reading all the really techno babble its interesting to see just how keen some people are to have learnt it all.

But what I do not like to read is " Your wrong " Im the only one who is right " comments and you will all bow down to my superiority and I will insult anyone if I wish to "because I is the greatest".

Technical advice with attitude you can keep.

What decline?

I havent noticed any decline in the forum or the club. It is growing at good steady pace and becoming an excellent source for help, advice, fun and social pleasure.

I am proud to part of it ,member or not. One star or six.

PS.

I only joined in the hope of finding a nice single guy.;)

"One thing i that has always annoyed me about this site and it is becoming increasingly more so, is the base model owners who have nothing usefull to contribute and talk about "Kits" "Badboy Bonnets" "Neons" this is OK as its easy to sift through these posts but they seem to be increasing in volume, and it would be nice if there could be some sort or segrigation?"

I am with Tony on this one, do you know how hard it is to find a decent bodyshop? That will not charge the earth and do a good job? This forum has help me find that information, and also now I can try and help other people, it has made me realise that I can do stuff myself and not pay the earth for it, Exterior modifying is often do as people can not afford to do the engine modifying due to the excessive insurance premiums that follow, I am extremely intersted in modifying my engine and all the techy stuff along with and when I can afford the insurance I know doubt will be having a go at it.

OK, read it all, caught up an all i can say is

WTF is all the useless frikkin babble. Constant nagging for anything is just plain bloody useless.

Im not gonna take anybondy side just cause i know ill get shot down for saying whatever........

so, can we all just chill the f**k out, people are people and not everybody likes everybody......

man, i hate commin on here KNOWING that there will be several useless arguements over useless crap.....