ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Spray Shack Clio (Pic Heavy)

Hi, so ive been trying to find the time to get around to sorting out a branded car, and generally breathing some life back into my tired clio. Well its started and i work on it most evenings when the paying work is cleared off. See what you think, ill probably be posting pictures and updates every couple of days as the work gets done.........

Now this is the interim solution for us, the car eventually will be completely stripped to a bare shell and the colour changed to something custom, but for the time being i need something to reflect the work we do and as a bit of a show peice.

Stage 1, strip the car and assess what a sorry state shes in......

The paint system shows 6 shades for monaco blue, so after a few tester strips the "Intense" shade is the best match to the car. Its amazing just how far off from the standard my car was, its obviously had a few touch ups in the past......

*Front*, has been repainted by previous owner annoyingly, was a decent job mind you but the colour is not the renault original shade for sure.

Bonnet : ~150 stone chips all over it
Bumper : To many stone chips to be ar*ed to count and a deep scratch where i caught the house many moons ago.
Wings : Pretty good nick, couple of chips here and there.

*Rear*

Bumper : Good nick, minor loading area scratching.
Rear boot lid : Good nick no issues.

*General bodywork*

Plenty of orange peal from manufacturers / touch up spray, some scratches and dents in rear 1/4 on both sides (VERY ANNOYING!!) as i dont really want to spray and short these out these till i do the overall clio respray into a custom colour. Anyway ill address that later.....

Strip down.
1.jpg
2.jpg
[/URL]
1, prep bonnet and remove all the chips (sanded, filled and primered)
3.jpg

2, Prep rear boot lid and weld up "Clio" badge holes fill and smooth, then primer.
4.jpg

5.jpg

10.jpg

3, Spray rear bumper (ill keep the prep pictures out the way, boring!)

*Wet Sanding finished sprayed*

6.jpg

*Buffing back up*

7.jpg

8.jpg

*Trial fit to car*

9.jpg

Now heres where the fun starts, i need to do a couple of mockup's of the "Spray Shack" logo and design i want to put on the car so i get it right on the car.

*Mockup* on a crapp bit of 1.2mm steel.

11.jpg

Ok so im ready to go, fairly pleased with the out come of the mockup. Now the rear boot is painted 432 blue (intense shade), lacquered, then completely flatted off again. Now the reason for this is when im doing the design i dont want to scuff my colour up and then find out later on when i clear coat it ive scuffed the metalic's underneath.

So i went for it on the boot........

*First stage of the design*

12.jpg

*Second stage of the design*

13.jpg

*Finished design lacquered*

Total of 5 layers of clear coat to make sure we have lots of depth to flat it all level.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Ok so thats the rear boot done, now im on to the bonnet.....its all blued up now and im just about to flat it off ready to do the design. Ive already done and blended all the wing and bonnet, but they arent having logo's on so i wont bore you with pictures.

17.jpg

The design is taking up 60% of the bonnet space atleast and should be easier to spray on than the rear boot, so updates to follow once i get chance to make a start on the design later.

Cheers,
Simon @ Spray Shack

Last edited:
  1.2 16v clio
Love how you made the logo raised above the splatter great job cannot wait to see the end result

Would you ever consider creating a small guide on the basics of spraying at home like with rattle cans. I know every one says dont use them but they can turns out ace if you put the time and effort in.

Looks awesome that logo on the boot!

Nick

Clio
Would you ever consider creating a small guide on the basics of spraying at home like with rattle cans. I know every one says dont use them but they can turns out ace if you put the time and effort in.

Nick

In all fairness why would he? Lol if people decided to do it themselfs it would be less business for him lol,
Amazing job looks fantastic

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS

Nick

No

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Looks great, good work Si. I am still planning on sending you my bullets and a few interior bits and bobs......the quality of the work looks epic. I just need to figure out colour scheme!!

Megane Diesel / 172
You are indeed a talented man, I work in graphics and that 3D effect on the logo is one of the best I've seen....

BG 182
Looking very good so far! Will be following this closely and looking forward to seeing the finished product