ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 'superior' 200 Vs the 'disappointing' 197.

Italian 3.2 V6
So the 200 is officially the hottest hot hatch out there at the moment fopr the money, and has been for a while now. but how much does it differ from the disapointing 197? ..yess it looks different, has had a remap and steering slightly improved. but is that it?

here is a spec list below of the improvements.

200 Compared with its predecessor (The 197)
DIMENSIONS

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Overall length (mm)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4,017[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](+26mm)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wheelbase (mm)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2,585[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](unchanged)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Front overhang (mm)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]826[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](+26mm)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rear overhang (mm)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]606[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ENGINE[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cubic capacity (cc)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1,998[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maximum power (hp)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]200 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]+3hp[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]At[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7,100rpm[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-150rpm[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maximum torque Nm CEE [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]215 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]At[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5,400rpm[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-150rpm[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SUSPENSION[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Front[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Independent steering axis front suspension[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rear[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Programmed deflection torsion beam[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]STEERING[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Electric variable power steering[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Revised calibration[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TYRES[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]215 / 45 R17[/FONT]

i cant see how these little change's have made the 200 so much more superior than the 197? can anyone enlighten me to any further changes that were made to make it soo much better.

the only other things i can think of is that its 20kg lighter (cup version) and the 200's seem to meet the book bhp figure better, but i think this is just down the the revised ECU..

Thanks, Piers.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
No its just like a scooby to run one.

Its the suspension and maybe damper combination thats done it...

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Down my test track I could not tell any differences.
But then again I thought my 197Cup was better than my Trophy :quiet:
If you drive both you can make your own decision, do not be fooled by the sheep!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
No its just like a scooby to run one.

Its the suspension and maybe damper combination thats done it...
Bingo was his name.

It's hardly rocket science! Better rack and Suspension.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
In reality, who cares what others think? If a 197 owner is happy with their car, that really is all that matters. Ditto a 200 owner, a trophy owner, even a Williams owner (when it works ;)).

Evo 5 RS
Heard a lot of people spouting the power delivery is mucho improved too..some low down GRUNT..ooh matron. Crying shame really...seeing as for example..

2be236e3-1.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Italian 3.2 V6
iv briefly driven both and couldnt tell any difference tbh lol! im just going off what reviews iv read etc.. wondering were this 'magic' has come from which the 197 some how didnt have.

so in theory a Remaped n KW'd 197 would become as good as a 200?

has anyone owned a 197 and 200?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Ive owned them both-

From an impartial viewpoint real time difference is not a great deal- the 200 still bunny hopps occasionally from cold, -
The chassis is tweaked & is marginally better & the exhausts is a better note-

The seats are 'as bad' as the R27 in terms of wear- IE you need a seat cover-

& you get climate as standard on the non cups-

However if you want a decent one your looking towards 13k, where as an R27 is 3/4k less- theres not that much difference in terms of VFM-

Steve

Not driven both but the 200 is geared differently lower gears shorter higher gears longer, there's some tweaking to give them a bit more mid/low end torque.
The 'cup chassis' on a 200 is stiffer than that on a 197 where as the normal standard chassis is softer than the standard 197 one i.e more of a difference.

Not sure I've ever heard of someone saying the 197 was disappointing and would be suprised to see any significant difference in capabilities, maybe the 200 was just marketed better?

Italian 3.2 V6
for the record - i dont think its diapointing. its just the status i think the 197 seems to of got from some journalists who have reviewed it etc.

Meg 250/E36 Touring
Having driven both, the 200 is definately more polished and an easier car to extract the performance from if you just get in and go.

I genuinly think the 197 was lost on a lot of people purely because most didn't use the engine as it was intended (5500-7500k rpm)

Rarely on a 197 test drive would someone get near the 'interesting' powerband - which is fair enough, I can totally understand 'getting used to a car' They always needed an extended test drive and encouragement ;-)

I always thought a Cup Chassis'd 197 was the perfect set-up until the 200 Came along.

For outright driving pleasure the 200 Cup set up is superb, however as an all rounder (if your knackered/need to cover distance without thinking) I think the 200 engine and slightly softer 197 'Cup' set-up would be perfect!

Mark 1 Clio V6
Couldn't care less which is "better" (better is marginal in any case).

The 197 has it on looks hands down.
What Renault were thinking with the front of the 200 I have no idea.

Used to own an r27 and drove the 200...couldn't tell any significant difference and couldn't understand the journalist hype about 20% lower down grunt in power. Sheer marketing if you ask me. Honestly couldn't see how the 200 had made this massive leap in comparison to the 197. Both great cars at what they do for the money...but IMO, not the massive massive difference that you might be lead to believe.

Turbo LY R27
The 200 is the better car without a doubt. But how much better i personally think is exaggerated a bit much. But the little tweaks it does have, have made it into a fantastic drivers car!!! But like its been said its all personal preference as to what you like. I own an R27 but im not a fan boy thats deluded into thinking its the best car ever, i just dont see the justification in spending more money for a slightly revised model, id rather go for the mk4. I love all renault sports, some i like more than others but i think they all drive differently and have there place. I would happily go back to 182 any day and one day i will own another, but for me the 197 is still as fun and quick, if i didnt think it was after 3 years i would of got rid without question.

Turbo LY R27
The 200 is the better car without a doubt. But how much better i personally think is exaggerated a bit much. But the little tweaks it does have, have made it into a fantastic drivers car!!! But like its been said its all personal preference as to what you like. I own an R27 but im not a fan boy thats deluded into thinking its the best car ever, i just dont see the justification in spending more money for a slightly revised model, id rather go for the mk4. I love all renault sports, some i like more than others but i think they all drive differently and have there place. I would happily go back to 182 any day and one day i will own another, but for me the 197 is still as fun and quick, if i didnt think it was after 3 years i would of got rid without question.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
The original poster's list is junk, major gear ratio and suspension changes were not mentioned (amongst other things) - I drove 2x 197's and 2x 200's in the same day... Quite a significant difference IMO (all track and road testing tends to agree).

rs 200
The original poster's list is junk, major gear ratio and suspension changes were not mentioned (amongst other things) - I drove 2x 197's and 2x 200's in the same day... Quite a significant difference IMO (all track and road testing tends to agree).

For me the biggest changes where the gear changes and suspension. I have driven a 197 cup, a 197 ff, 200 ff, 200 cup and of course my car a 200 ff with cup option. I found the gear ratio's a little short in the 197 for road use the 200 is an improvement.

Swift Sport
I bought a 197, whacked some coilovers on there, stripped the rear interior and ragged the hell out of it on track again and again. Amazing car.

From my experience most people are too pussy to maximise their cars potential, and in reality probably wouldn't know the differences between the 197 and the 200 if they hadn't been told.

Italian 3.2 V6

Oright big fella!

..I got that list off of another thread from here. From when the 200 was 1st announced by a mod.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The only thing i find hard to believe is the fact Renault think a paltry 20kg's could differ a "Cup" from a normal 197...

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Oright big fella!

..I got that list off of another thread from here. From when the 200 was 1st announced by a mod.

I may have appeared a little short in my response, I was typing whilst on the phone doing work stuff :eek:

Gist was correct though :D

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Not really a disappointment imo,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUF8jWqmAB8

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/200372/renaultsport_clio.html

I own a 197 Cup, have owned an early 197 and driven a 200 Cup. Biggest difference for me is the quicker rack on the Cupped 200's, instantly noticed that. The supposed extra low down grunt isnt that noticeable, they both (200/197) feel the same once wound up, have the same specs in regarding times also. I do however notice a bigger difference between my 197 Cup and my original 197. The Cup deffo has a different map, doesn't kangaroo half as much. Also the chassis is awesome, firm, but not over the top, well chuckable imo

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Not really a disappointment imo,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUF8jWqmAB8

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/200372/renaultsport_clio.html

I own a 197 Cup, have owned an early 197 and driven a 200 Cup. Biggest difference for me is the quicker rack on the Cupped 200's, instantly noticed that. The supposed extra low down grunt isnt that noticeable, they both (200/197) feel the same once wound up, have the same specs in regarding times also. I do however notice a bigger difference between my 197 Cup and my original 197. The Cup deffo has a different map, doesn't kangaroo half as much. Also the chassis is awesome, firm, but not over the top, well chuckable imo

Thought my 197 Cup was excellent. ;)

I bought a 197, whacked some coilovers on there, stripped the rear interior and ragged the hell out of it on track again and again. Amazing car.

From my experience most people are too pussy to maximise their cars potential, and in reality probably wouldn't know the differences between the 197 and the 200 if they hadn't been told.

+1, hence the 'sheep' quote :D

R27 - 77/500
im not disappointed with my R27 in the slightest. I think its quite a big step on from my 182, so the 200 must be a weapon!
Im sure ill find out as work thru the range.

Last edited:
  R27 - 77/500
A few owners have said their 200 has more grunt than a 182. That must be quite an improvement over the 197 then?

Im not sure if that was a reply to me but when i say its a big step on from 182 i wasnt meaning speed, its probably similar but the delivery is different. I meant as a place to be, drive in more comfort and quieter, less harsh ride. The type of things i want as i get older ha