ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 'superior' 200 Vs the 'disappointing' 197.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
im not disappointed with my R27 in the slightest. I think its quite a big step on from my 182, so the 200 must be a weapon!
Im sure ill find out as work thru the range.

No, I've driven both. Think 172 -182, thats the small differences we are talking,

R

revalot

Well PJ's 197 made 208bhp at SRR, with just a panel filter! I've yet to see a 200 make those figures :rasp:
my old 197 pulled a 208bhp i have yet to test the new 200 :) wait for show season to start and ill get it done let you all know.

260% JCW
I agree mate. But there always has to be one doesn't there..

....One person that can't handle a bit of banter and then makes a fuss :cry: lol.

Anyway on topic, both cars have there own merits. The 200 is the next evolution in the Cliosport range and as such it should be a step forward. Maybe 2 steps back in the styling department, although its grown on me slightly. Im holding out for the next installment in the Cliosport range!

C63 AMG
iv briefly driven both and couldnt tell any difference tbh lol! im just going off what reviews iv read etc.. wondering were this 'magic' has come from which the 197 some how didnt have.

so in theory a Remaped n KW'd 197 would become as good as a 200?

has anyone owned a 197 and 200?

Me, and a 182

'06 Black FF 197
wasnt there an engine tweak in the 200 ? iirc it is not just a remap that gets the extra torque and bhp... anyway I own one of the first 197s, built in june 2006, a non-cup as it was not yet available at the time, its my daily driver and although I must admit I could use some extra stiffness from time to time I think it is stiff enough for everyday commute, sometimes makes me want to buy a normal road car, cause it gets tiring if you need to go through a lot of miles on crappy roads, wouldnt purchase the cup suspension unless it had the lsd like the meg does, the car handles well enough without the cup suspension, anyway the 200 seems to be just a minor upgrade, no significant power increase, slight suspension setup adjustment, different colours inside, man if they at least updated the dashboard... but they didnt, would not justify changing my 5 yrs old 197 to a brand new 200... waiting for the mk4 RS to come out... what is disappointing is the 200 I think, not much changed, not much gained, not enough for the 197 owners to go ape sh** on upgrading that is,

Stripped yozza'd cup
^^ why would you expect the 200 to be an enormous improvement on the 197? It's just a facelift.... The same as a 172 and 182 are pretty much the same, with slight improvements.

A 197 on kw's and mapped would be quicker than a 200 I would think....

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
becuase some people read the sales blerb and believe it!

I've owned a standard 197, now own a 197 Cup and driven a 200 Cup. Biggest difference I found was the quicker rack on the 200 Cup, which was nice. It feels a bit perkier lower down, but I think thats due to the shorter gearing rather than any engine tweeks tbh. I'd also put good money on same driver round the same track in a 197 Cup and a 200 Cup there will be fack all between em

Lionel Richie
same car (give or take) different marketing tat, and the 5th gear test Vs the 182, the 182 was quicker, they reversed the times ;)

LY 200
Is the 197 actually disappointing?

I was thinking the same!

Iv been chuffed with mine (driving wise) since selling PSJ the LY but it is pretty much an R27 without the decals.

Not sure if i would be as impressed with a lesser spec'd one.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
same car (give or take) different marketing tat, and the 5th gear test Vs the 182, the 182 was quicker, they reversed the times ;)

Didnt the owner find the real times on a sheet in the 182?? Marketing rubbish makes me think do any reviewers do it just about the car and not the extra cash in the pocket?? :S

Cayman S Edition 1
Owned both cars and my 200 is my fav RS to date (between my wife and I, we've also owned a 182 Trophy, 182 with cup pack and a 225).

The 200 ticks all the boxes for me but it's all down to personal choice. 197 was awesome tho!

Didnt the owner find the real times on a sheet in the 182?? Marketing rubbish makes me think do any reviewers do it just about the car and not the extra cash in the pocket?? :S

Yeah what IS the crack with this story? Sounds like so much conspiracy story bullshit to me but it's oft quoted on this site... usually followed by a winking smiley though.

I must admit though, being a 182 owner I'd LIKE to believe it!

Clio 172 cup
i think everyone has different opinions,
iv never driven a 200 yet and cant wait to but i prefer the look of the 197 anyday, especially with the cup spoiler, black front splitter and black skirts.

Only thing that really annoys me is what renault actually did and what they could of done to just make the 200 alot better without everyone having to compare littlest things and thats more BHP lol!!

We had the 172,
then +10BHP the 182 just from simply the cat,
then + 15BHP for the 197
then + ONLY 3BHP FOR THE 200!!!!!!!!!!

Made a brand new design and only gave it 3more BHP. Surely they coulda made a a little more somehow like 212BHP lol!
Civic type R's been out from 2002 and had 200bhp from then!!
Just hope the next one has a bigger power increase.
Thats just me.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its not a brand new design though? Its a 197 with a face 'lift'

White clique
Has anyone noticed that the older a clio is, apparantly the "better" it is?

a 197 is MUCH better than a 200 honest
wait a 182 is more "raw" than a 197 and a better drivers car
oh no wait a 172 is better than a 182
NO it must be a phase 1 172
But a rusty Williams is so much better!!

It seems the older a car is, the more desparate people are to prove its the best one.

I really like the 200 myself, other than the dirty front end.

Mondeo TDCI 130
There all f**king great car's let's be honest, it's what you can afford, and personal preference! I sold my 200 because it was 11K sat hanging around, would have a phase 1 or cheap cup tomorrow! Would do EXACTLY the same job! :)

Clio 1970000000
Does everyone spend all day on the race track or drive on roads like they were race tracks (cue the CS police)? No. Then who is going to notice the difference anyway.

I haven't driven the 200 but expect it to be better just as it is an evolution of the 197. I haven't reached the limits of the 197 yet, which is probably true of 99% of the peeps on here. If it goes wrong, it's ususally down to driver error. Get what you can afford and enjoy it.

I used to own a CTR and the 197 knocks spots off it in the handling department. Think it's a confidence thing though.

Merc
i think everyone has different opinions,
iv never driven a 200 yet and cant wait to but i prefer the look of the 197 anyday, especially with the cup spoiler, black front splitter and black skirts.

Only thing that really annoys me is what renault actually did and what they could of done to just make the 200 alot better without everyone having to compare littlest things and thats more BHP lol!!

We had the 172,
then +10BHP the 182 just from simply the cat,
then + 15BHP for the 197
then + ONLY 3BHP FOR THE 200!!!!!!!!!!

Made a brand new design and only gave it 3more BHP. Surely they coulda made a a little more somehow like 212BHP lol!
Civic type R's been out from 2002 and had 200bhp from then!!
Just hope the next one has a bigger power increase.
Thats just me.

I might be wrong but the reason they made the newer clio was because of new emissions legislations i think. Along with the engine mods to reduce emissions they must have decided on the new facelift and other changes/upgrades from the 197. These emissions laws is the one that saw the type r stop production (in the UK).

On another note the exhausts on the 200 look way nicer than the 197. I love everything on the 200 hence why i bought one ;) but i have nothing bad to say about the 197 because i havent been on one nor seen one before.

Swift Sport
In the real world there's probably naff-all difference, a set of decent tyres probably makes more difference in handling IMO.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
My Cup (197) is full of win, just had a hero drive down some back roads. Perfect chassis out the box imo!