ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Trophy

clio trophy No56
My Trophy has just passed 54500 miles and the only thing thats been wrong was needed new suspension arms due to the ball joints being shot. £120 for both takes about 1hr30mins to fit.
Having to fork out £120 isnt bad for a car with 54500 miles.
As for all the idiots that comment on the Trophy just ignore them all, they obviously havent driven a Trophy. I have owned a FF182 and now the Trophy, only thing i miss from the FF182 is the lights coming on automatic when it gets dark, as for the Trophy going around corners, it would rule a FF182, not sure about the cup though. Better seats, looks better, same amount of space. The engine is exactly the same as other 182's so dont expect any difference there.
I'd say Trophy all the way.

Mark 1 Clio V6
My Trophy has just passed 54500 miles and the only thing thats been wrong was needed new suspension arms due to the ball joints being shot. £120 for both takes about 1hr30mins to fit.
As for all the idiots that comment on the Trophy just ignore them all, they obviously havent driven a Trophy. I have owned a FF182 and now the Trophy, only thing i miss from the FF182 is the lights coming on automatic when it gets dark, as for the Trophy going around corners, it would rule a FF182, not sure about the cup though. Better seats, looks better, same amount of space. The engine is exactly the same as other 182's so dont expect any difference there.

What was that about idiots and ignoring them all?
$hit; I'm meant to ignore the above post!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

LY 200

Haha.....I was about to say similar......Seen as most FF 182's out there are with cup packs, i.e suspension the same as the cup i cant see how your trophy would 'rule' one!!!

Another Williams v RS debate in the making there!!!

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
LOL at the idiot comment :rolleyes: ,I chose a RB 182 over a Trophy , D'ont get me wrong i love the Trophy edition but i like the look of the RB, Lets be honest about it , you need to be driving the nuts off both to see the difference on public roads between the two cars , a cupped pack clio can still pull most cars apart on a good A road. My perfect clio 2.0 would be Sachs and Recaros in my RB

LY 200
^^ Thats because he understands the difference & you don't;)

Not really its just an 'iv got a special edition 182 which Renault bought out to milk a few more sales and its better than the hardly different original' statement from where im sitting!!!

Whichever way you look at it, whatever car said person owns will be the greatest thing in the world anyway.........Two years ago id have said my 16v hybrid was better than any 182 and many would say that particular car or a Williams would still be better today but in reality on the road theres hardly anything between them bar the comforts of a new car.

With that said i dont envy Trophy drivers at all.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
LOL at the idiot comment :rolleyes: ,I chose a RB 182 over a Trophy , D'ont get me wrong i love the Trophy edition but i like the look of the RB, Lets be honest about it , you need to be driving the nuts off both to see the difference on public roads between the two cars , a cupped pack clio can still pull most cars apart on a good A road. My perfect clio 2.0 would be Sachs and Recaros in my RB

There is no real difference.
On a track it may make a nano second of a difference

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
To be fair, if someone is changing purely to save money, as the OP appears to be doing, I'd have thought a 05 plate 182 (either Cup of FF - I'd have the FF personally) for about £6.5-£7k would be a better idea. Save a couple of grand in the bargain - not as if you're gonna be exploring the limits of grip with a wee bairn in the car is it.

Dan

clio trophy No56

Haha.....I was about to say similar......Seen as most FF 182's out there are with cup packs, i.e suspension the same as the cup i cant see how your trophy would 'rule' one!!!

Another Williams v RS debate in the making there!!!
At no point did i mention mine had cup suspension or cup pack!
However a did mention a wasnt sure about the cup.
Just a plain FF182, im just saying having owned both the Trophy is much better on the corners. Fact!:rasp:

Last edited:
  clio trophy No56

There is no real difference.
On a track it may make a nano second of a difference

All down to the driver, i read somewhere on tests between the cup and Trophy the Trophy was 1 second faster per lap.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
Agreed the driver is a big factor, just going on EVO mags The knowledge track times round the bedford aerodrome here are the times and peak speed for Renaults in the dry.

R27 1 min 31.70sec at a peak of 93.7 mph

182 cup 1 min 33.10sec at a peak of 95.8 mph

Megane Trophy 1 min 33.35 sec at a peak of 97.9 mph

182 Trophy 1 min 33.75 at a peak of 97 mph

Just goes to show how quick an R27 is through the bends and braking with its lowest peak.

Granted they were probably different drivers doing the times in each car , but it goes to show they are all well stacked apart from the R27 which is quite a bit quicker on a track TBH

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
R27 will have made it all up on those brakes. Truely should be experienced by everyone to really appreciate!

Dan

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Try that on a proper circuit;)

From memory the trophy time was on a damp track:quiet:

The 197 in any guise didn't even make the cut off for The McCote this year in Evo, let alone eCoty.

Trophy won this hands down (real world)& came third amongst the supercars (surreal world)

Last edited:
  clio trophy No56
Did anyone read the EVO mag when they did the Trophy v M6?
Obviously the M6 is a monster and in a straight line would kill our little cars but they just couldnt get away from the Trophy. Quality.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
They state if the track is damp in places with this * and there aint one alongside the Trophy clio on the list ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Try that on a proper circuit;)

From memory the trophy time was on a damp track:quiet:

The 197 in any guise didn't even make the cut off for The McCote this year in Evo, let alone eCoty.

Trophy won this hands down (real world)& came third amongst the supercars (surreal world)

Dreamer

Golf 7R
The way you lot babble on about the trophy with its fabled suspension, its as though its a supercar. A well driven 172 cup would stay with a trophy all day long on a track, and that people is the harsh truth!

clio trophy No56
The way you lot babble on about the trophy with its fabled suspension, its as though its a supercar. A well driven 172 cup would stay with a trophy all day long on a track, and that people is the harsh truth!

There is no babble about it, the suspension is mint, and that people is the harsh truth.
As for a well driver 172 cup staying with a Trophy on a track, yes it would keep up, but so would a well driven 182 cup or FF182 with cup packs, even a well driven FF182 or FF172 would keep up. Like been said a million times its down to the driver.
I know for a fact that i would go into, through and out of a corner alot faster and more confident in the Trophy than i would in a FF182 though.

clio trophy No56
I wonder if they will fit Sachs on the 197 towards the end of production

They have already produced the 500, R27, which are mint, but knowing Renault they will try to milk a bit more money before production of the 197 ends.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Ah but the R27 is just a plaque, it doesn't mean anything you can't get on another 197 - whereas the Trophy had those special touches (mainly the Sachs) that made it a 'last hurrah' so to speak. Just IMHO of course. I'd expect to see, possibly a 197 Trophy right before the end of the line. Or even better, a Clio 230, with the R26 engine and LSD :p

Dan

clio trophy No56
Ah but the R27 is just a plaque, it doesn't mean anything you can't get on another 197 - whereas the Trophy had those special touches (mainly the Sachs) that made it a 'last hurrah' so to speak. Just IMHO of course. I'd expect to see, possibly a 197 Trophy right before the end of the line. Or even better, a Clio 230, with the R26 engine and LSD :p

Dan

Trophy is a mixture of lots of clios, 172/182 cup splitter, V6 spoiler, sachs, 172 cup speedlines,(bigger though), recaro. The best bits.
So you may be correct, apart from they will have to make another V6 so the 197 can take that spoiler. lol.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
I wonder if they will fit Sachs on the 197 towards the end of production

They have already produced the 500, R27, which are mint, but knowing Renault they will try to milk a bit more money before production of the 197 ends.

I think the R27 is what the Megane Trophy and also the megane F1 was, they ended up with the RB230, we have'nt seen the best MKIII clio yet.

Milano Premier CTR
They are still to facelift the mk3 clio, so they will probly make it so that they get a similar front end to the twingo and laguna. Look at the difference betwean the mk2 phase 1 and mk2 phase 2 clios. Could they possibly tune the 197 engine much more? or will they maybe bring out a new block?
one thing you can guarantee though is that they will bring plenty of new 197's out.

Peddled device
Theres very little in them to be honest.I haven't driven a Trophy (but have respect for it) but l have owned a 172 Cup and now a 182 Cup and despite all the talk about the 172 Cup being rawer/faster/harder etc theres very little in it (ABS/ESP/AC are 'good' ideas in a car and as l'm no Richard Burns make driving a 182 Cup more fun than a 172 Cup)

If the car is to be driven on a track then its a totally different question as to which is best.Lighter and better suspension will always make a faster track car....just look at a Radical !