ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Upgrade...

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Regulars will know I've had a few Clio Sports with the most recent being a tidy coilovered and caged 197, then I downgraded to an Ignis Sport which again got the stripped and coilovered treatment. Sadly the Ignis became more and more impractical the more I modded it, then when I had to start doing more miles I decided it was time for a change. I had trouble deciding what to go for as I'm pretty hard to please, so instead I went for the 'sensible' option on my list...

5971464903_5e81719367_z.jpg

5972039258_c20757263d_z.jpg

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Nice. Best colour too.

Im tempted to shop the Bora in on a CTR or ATR so i can use it on track.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
I didnt know what everyone was on about with the steering for a while.
Then i started pushing the car more and more in the bends and nearly ended up in a field!

Fast road set up needed.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
My thoughts so far... The Civic has vague steering there's no denying it, it's not awful but it does take the edge off the cars performance. It does however make up for it in nearly every other way by being everything I wished a Renault was. The Honda really does feel like a technical masterpiece, the driving position and gearbox are sublime. It doesn't give you impression that you're breaking it when you're driving hard either. The 197 is the better 'drivers car' IMO and the Ignis was more fun than either of them on track, but as a daily driver I'd take the Civic.

I'd considered an MX-5, VX220, Elise, DC5 and similar cars, but for what I needed those cars were a little too special or impractical.

Listerine & Poledo
MX-5's are better for driving, no doubt, but if you needed seats and a boot then yeah, they dont add up.
same for the Lotus & Vauxhall Elises I guess.
DC-5's are epic though, even if they have insurance costs to match!

It's a good call anyway, hope you enjoy it.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
The DC5 was my top choice, but with a car like that I'd want to keep it immaculate all the time where really all I needed was a practical hot hatch for the commute to work. And at half the price of a nice Integra it was a no-brainer.

RB One Eight Two
Nice choice. When my cousin said he was opting for an EP3 i wasn't convinced but when he took me for a drive it changed my mind. With the right mods they are amazing cars!

Go cry to your momma!
Good choice dude - there's so much vtec around Cannock now.

Decent intake and exhaust mani make a hell of a difference on these..

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
My thoughts so far... The Civic has vague steering there's no denying it, it's not awful but it does take the edge off the cars performance. It does however make up for it in nearly every other way by being everything I wished a Renault was. The Honda really does feel like a technical masterpiece, the driving position and gearbox are sublime. It doesn't give you impression that you're breaking it when you're driving hard either. The 197 is the better 'drivers car' IMO and the Ignis was more fun than either of them on track, but as a daily driver I'd take the Civic.

I'd considered an MX-5, VX220, Elise, DC5 and similar cars, but for what I needed those cars were a little too special or impractical.

+2!

Both of those factors I loved when I test drove one. The new shape feels like it's lost those qualities to me now....

D.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
They are superb, and i've nearly bought one about three times now, but when i've drove my mates a few times, its always left me somewhat cold...?

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
I hear what you're saying Gaz. Unlike some members I'll admit my cars shortcomings, the EP3 isn't a drivers dream. More like Japans answer to the Clio, without the charisma and personality. As a car it has the Clio nailed, but as an experience the Japs could learn a thing or two from the French.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Sounds like you have had a similar experience to me, I wanted to love my EP3 but I found I couldn't due to the steering, Im not sure mine was quite right though :( They are a solid car with an amazing engine and gearbox. One thing I did notice with mine was that if you wanted to drive it hard, you had to drive it absolutely nuts, there didnt seem to be a middle ground!

I had the fast road set up done by ABP over in Cheshire which did seem to improve it slightly.

Hope you enjoy it :)

Just reminded me about these pics! :)

2751455062_cd8a324fe3_o.jpg

2779502040_11c42844a4_o.jpg

Last edited:

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Cool pics! :)

I do love my Ep3, the steering is an issue though, but I find when you drive hard, its not TOO bad sometimes.
Deffo looking at ABP FRSU, as theyre only 30mins away from me.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I do love these and have been tempted many a time. Took a mates round oulton and it was great, so composed. Would I buy one, yeah eventually but still love mine. I've been down to tdi north(Honda speciallist) a couple of times and like allready said with the right mods there epic cars. Love them in red.

Dan

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Right then, since the purchase I'm enjoying the car... I've fitted an AEM v2 induction kit, DS2500 pads and braided hoses. Next on the list is a FRSU and some decent rubber with perhaps some new shoes to fit them to. :)

6743926005_bfe5b8af5a_b.jpg

6744092333_422da1ae61_b.jpg

6744034415_99e50853cd_b.jpg

6744111895_501c46691f_b.jpg

6743991709_8e4f9d071d_b.jpg