ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

thermo wrap exhaust manifold

Hi

Anyone here wrap the exhaust manifold?

Wrapping headers maintains hotter exhaust gases that exit the system faster through decreased density. Increased exhaust scavenging is produced, along with lower intake temperatures. Exhaust Insulating Wrap withstands continuous heat up to 2000?‹F, and contains no asbestos.

BMW 320d Sport

Ive done it before on my old manifold, seemed to get the exhaust out quicker - it seemed to pop a lot more once the system was really hot. Its really best for curvy long 4:1 manifolds rather than the tight/twisted $:2:1 on the 16v but I dont know how bad other Clios are. The reason why I say this is that the nature of the stuff is that you can get it round most bends but you mustnt overwrap it too much and you mustnt leave any gaps. In practice this is impossible, you will always have either double layers or gaps because of trying to get the wrap around a 3d corner. Then you get hotspots which you dont want.

Example: on the long fast run up the A1M to Doncaster the night before the Donny show (cruising at !10mph on average), I stopped and popped the bonnet to let it cool off while I was in the Little Chef. This was night time. I looked at the manifold and saw some big piece of bright red plastic had somehow got in the engine and melted onto the manifold. Lucky I didnt try and pull it off with my hand cos I looked closer and it was the manifold itself glowing bright red through a gap in the exhaust wrap. On closer inspection, everywhere there was even the tiniest gap had started to glow bright red. Even the downpipe joint and head flange were glowing. Not good really I didnt think! So be careful if youre gonna wrap your exhaust, make sure you get a really tidy wrap and try it on a straighter manifold than mine, gentle curves are OK.

HI Nick

Thanks for sharing the infor. Looks like its gonna be big problem if the exhaust is not wrap correctly. watabout Ceramic coating?

BMW 320d Sport

I dont know anything about ceramic coating, sorry...dont let me put you off exhaust wrap though, remember the 1.8 and 2.0 16v engines get incredibly hot compared to the 1.4 and the manifold on my 1.8 looks like spaghetti junction. Can you put a picture on here so I can see whether your manifold looks like a likely candidate?

wrapping is not hard to doa nd effective, as are ceramic coatings, but most of teh coatings dont work and you really have to get the best.

you should overlap each wrap by about 1/2" if the wrap is 1" wide ideally...and its not too hard to do.

BMW 320d Sport

That manifold is a masterpiece, Im surprised you can have it on your Clio, if that was mine Id leave it on my mantelpiece to show people when they came round! Anyway, that should be no problem to wrap so go for it then spray it with silver high temp paint once youre done. Thermo-tec can do the wrap and the suitable paint. Ive done a Williams one which is tubular like that and its not very difficult at all, as Ben says just make sure you get the overlaps nice and even.

hi Nick & BenR

watabout this Thermal Paint.

http://www.powerkits.com/TBCexhaust.htmhttp://www.powerkits.com/TBCexhaust.htm

Thermal Barrier Coatings exhaust system coatings are designed to maintain adhesion at temperatures above the normal operating range of an exhaust system. Unless otherwise indicated temperatures given refer to the base metal temperature that a coating can normally be expected to handle. Depending on the resin system, Thermal Barrier Coatings designed for exhaust systems, can handle base metal temperatures in excess of 2000f. Color change can be expected at lower temperatures with many of the coatings. A color change does not necessarily reflect a failure of the coating, as color stability is secondary to the protective function. Several colors have maintained color stability, to base metal temperatures in excess of 1600f. The use of multiple coats including MCS?Ecan raise the color stability of all exhaust system coatings

http://www.powerkits.com/TBCpic1.gif

Theres a about 4 clios here in Singapore installed with Supersprint exhaust manifold. Another 1 on a 1.4L 16v Megane

ive seen similar stuff from the states adn only way to know is to try it!

if its cheap, you could do worse.

Colour affects heat absobtion and disipation.

Black - absorb and disipate heat better

Silver - absorb and disipate heat worse

Generally its best to use a paint and the wrap. Wrap alone will often lead to premature corrosion anyway.

Wrapping a cast manifold will often lead to it cracking, depending on design.

Tubular stainless steel manifolds are less likely to have problems. Just be carefull with the wrapping to avoid hotspots (as said above).

Id still paint stainless as well.

hi ChrisB,

I see...for stainless steel...need to sandblast or sand the surface first, or else the paint will not stick.