ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thing to look out for on a 1.4 RT

S2000

I was just hoping some of you could help me out and give me a few pointers.

I am going to look at a Clio 1.4RT (MK1 Ph1) tommorow night (someone off the site) and was just wondering what sort of things I should be looking out for. I know that the rear arches are prone to rust but that has been sorted on this car but where else should I be looking out for rust?

What about things such as the cambelt, clutch etc - when do they normally have to be replaced?

The car itself is on 110,000 miles but its had a new engine and gearbox put in it that is on about 30,000 miles I think.

If someone could sort of break it down into a list of what to look at in terms of the engine, the bodywork and anything else it would be really helpfull.

Dave.

emm, the cambelt should have been done at around 70000 miles, and maybe look for rust on the front arches, and down under the doors, sills? also check the boot lock works (with the key, not the remote), as it is a common problem it rust locked because of spray from the road..

and if your sale doesnt go through, i may be sellin mine, pm me for details if you want...

hope that helped a bit - justin!

S2000

thanks. What about the head gasket- I would imagine that it would be OK for a while yet but when do they normally go?

With the cambelt is it supposed to be 70,000 or 5 years (whichever comes first) or do you only really have to pay attention to the the milage? Should it be OK would you think at 30,000 miles eve if it hadnt been changed since new (i.e. about 11 years)?

silver valver/hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by donsrno1 on 20 May 2005

thanks. What about the head gasket- I would imagine that it would be OK for a while yet but when do they normally go?

With the cambelt is it supposed to be 70,000 or 5 years (whichever comes first) or do you only really have to pay attention to the the milage? Should it be OK would you think at 30,000 miles eve if it hadnt been changed since new (i.e. about 11 years)?
age can deteriate the belts so best to get them changed if they are that old.

S2000

I dont know if they would be that old as I dont know the age of the engine but thats what I thought anyway. What sort of price are you looking at to have it changed?

i got my belt changed and a new starter motor for £150 fitted, which was a bargain imo. is there anyone that can go into my members profile and post the pics of my car in here, i dont hav access to the uploader offshore! donsrno1 was wantin to see them...

justin

S2000

its OK justin I managed to see them. Some nice cliosporters (there are some ;)) helped me out.

[Edited by donsrno1 on 5/20/2005 11:58:58 PM]

Dash lights, Heater lights, Heater itself, spare wheel cage, leaky sunroof, rust on the bottom outside corners of the doors, rust inside boot under carpet, noisey Cat.

Suzuki SV650

Heater matrix/blocked pipes, make sure the car produces HOT air after several minutes of running, mine only produced slightly warm air after about twenty minutes, meaning that keeping warm in the winter required several layers of clothing, which made it difficult to drive.....:cry::p

Skoda Fabia vRS

clutch should be fine mate, pretty sure mine was on the original one and that lasted to 100k !

as already mentioned, rust in the boot lid is common

rear wiper is a common fault cos the motors always break, see if the rear washer works aswell, mine never did

Skoda Fabia vRS

the most common problem, is the front of the glovebox falling off, its very common, so common in fact that for 2 years i couldnt find a replacement one at the local scrap yard, i did however realise afterwards that i could have just got some new clips from Renault to sort it lol

Rb 182

Quote: Originally posted by EvilJohn on 21 May 2005

Take it this is Daves car your talking about mate? If so looks like Ill need to get my car sorted for fcs if he is selling it!
Its ok im keeping her now! ;)

Thinking about getting a new set of wheels but not too sure.