ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Think I should do this swap?

BG Clio 182
I know this might be biased here but this is what Im looking at:

I have a high mileage Civic Type R EP3, my friend just picked up a 04 Clio 182, but he is a rather large guy, so we have been talking about a swap since he fits in my civic well. Frankly the civic is a bit boring to drive, but absolutely nothing wrong with it besides the diesel remobile levels of mileage, which I know will make it almost impossible to sell for any decent amount in the future.

My Civic- 2003, 160k miles, runs/drives/looks like new, stock except for back box (stainless OEM style) new clutch and valve adjustment, no issues, alloys need refurbished. I am the 6th owner, 2 keys, only 1 fob.

The Clio- 2004 Black Gold 182. Cambelt/dephaser/aux belt and tensioner in May of this year, 104k miles. Eibach sportlines, poly bushings, port matched manifold, ITG induction with samco silicone elbow, Scorpion RS192 exhaust with decat, claimed to have 197 cams(I have not seen the invoice for this so I doubt they are in there), port matched intake, new steering wheel (no melting!) new gear knob, interior is nice, exterior is pretty much blemish free besides a largish paint chip in the bonnet. Has slight oil seepage on the back of the rocker cover, has had a lot of owners, only has one key, needs one new tyre (low tread) he said he will replace it with a matching rainsport 3 as part of the deal. Seems to run spot on and the suspension feels much tighter than my EP3.

I have had a 182 before and rather enjoyed it, but mine was stock and pretty sure the timing was out, this one it MUCH faster (although louder obviously) than my old 182 and feels faster than the EP3. Mileage and overall running costs should be about the same for both cars I think.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I would, you could ask a good £2500 for the Clio and sell it fairly quickly.
I'm not sure where prices on EP3's are now, but with mega miles you'll either have to go dirt cheap or spend ages selling it to finally get rid.

In terms of performance there's probably very little in it.

BG Clio 182
The problem is there are so many dodgy EP3's being sold for dirt cheap that nobody looks at the nice ones like mine, or they tell me its overpriced, plus the mileage is a HUGE turnoff for most people I have talked to. I am starting to think this might be a no-brainer especially since the clio has recent cambelt/dephaser pulley and aux belt/tensioner. (And it sounds amazing with the induction kit and RS192)

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea with those miles they won't think to give your car a decent once over, they'll just assume it's an even more ropey example in a field of well hammered cars.

BG Clio 182
I like the 182, and really miss my old one, but the things that Im iffy about are the higher number of owners, it only has one key and lets face it, the interior and overall build quality is not Honda lol.

BG Clio 182
Took a better look at it tonight, 60mm bolt spacing on the front hubs, newish looking sportline springs, poly dogbone (purple or blue bush by the looks of it) Brakes, etc look good. Only question I have is the idle seems to be just at/right below 1k when warm (temp gauge stays dead in the middle where it should, and rev counter does not fluctuate), does that point to a possible remap? Also for having a decat it does not smell of petrol when idling, also no serv light is illuminated (it goes out after start like it should) I will have to re-spray the alloys and the bonnet needs touched up.

I will be interested to know what you guys think about the idle.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
If it sits just under/touching 1k its probably got an rstuner map on it.
Just make sure it doesn't pop and bang with the decat on.

BG Clio 182
If it sits just under/touching 1k its probably got an rstuner map on it.
Just make sure it doesn't pop and bang with the decat on.
no pops and bangs, and I drove it pretty hard the other day, and I listened to him drive off down the road, no pops when shifting or anything.

BG Clio 182
Got some nice mods. Pretty much all sorted for you.
yeah it runs nice, and has all the necessary things done. Things I would have to sort with are not really a big deal
-DAB windscreen antennae needs remounted (new windscreen) it has a Kenwood DAB/Bluetooth headunit, original CD player included along with CD changer
-a couple paint damage areas on the bonnet, should be able to paint/touch up just the small areas
-Alloys are not curbed bad, but could do with a quick anthracite respray
-there seems to be oil seepage on the back passenger side of the rocker cover (breather box?)
-car has 107k miles (not a huge deal as my civic is at 160k)
-missing engine beauty cover

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You can get a signal splitter for the original car ariel that will do away with the windscreen mounted DAB antennae, works a treat and neatens things up abit.

Miles are less important on the Clio, most important thing is the most recent belt change and thats been done on yours so you're laughing really.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
I believe a slight leak on the cam cover is a common thing, mine certainly has a very small one too so I wouldn't worry about that too much unless it is quite bad.

To me it sounds like you have already talked yourself into it so get some pics up when you get it haha.

BG Clio 182
I believe a slight leak on the cam cover is a common thing, mine certainly has a very small one too so I wouldn't worry about that too much unless it is quite bad.

To me it sounds like you have already talked yourself into it so get some pics up when you get it haha.
yeah I think I want to do it, I just have to get the car before the guy decides to thrash it to a mm of its life lol.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Swapping cars is a dangerous game but if he's your mate it's different I guess.
I'd do it if it's all as you say.

BG Clio 182
Looks like it is happening, after work on Friday he is taking it to the tyre place to have a new rainsport 3 put on then bringing it to my house! Cannot wait to start cleaning and polishing haha.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Do it all day long. The type r's are quite dull standard in comparison.

Hell i'd swap for this community alone, my mate has a Type R and he always sends me screenshots from posts on his equivalent forum and facebook page. I genuinely wonder if 90% of the community are retarded. That's not a dig at honda or anything - I think they're great cars overall.

BG Clio 182
Hey, thanks everyone for the encouraging words and advice. I now have a BG 182 again. Spent the afternoon cleaning! Two new rainsport 3's on the front. Cambelt/dephaser/aux belt/tensioner was done in May (second time), but unfortuantely between late 2012 and 2015 there is a lack of records.
Planning on taking it to SJM (right around the corner from me) after the holidays to have timing checked, because who knows if that garage that did the job used the right locking tools. They forgot to put the upper grill clips in, that is for sure.
Also changed out the xenons to factory philips bulbs. (driver side was a tight fit!)
Tomorrow's jobs include
-touching up a chunk of missing paint on the bonnet, and some chips on the door edges
-replacing a burned our side marker bulb
-cleaning the engine compartment up/degreasing the seeping area at the back of the cam cover
-clay bar
-wax

Then in the coming weeks will be an oil change, since the last one was probably at the belt job, also gives me a baseline interval from here on out (going to do it every 6k with factory Elf oil most likely)

Pics to follow in a bit

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Good luck with the touching in part on the bonnet lol.

Sounds good mate, you happy with the drive?

BG Clio 182
IMG_0797_zpsbidm6eia.gif

IMG_0798_zpspcu1xspu.jpg

IMG_0799_zpskaocs0p2.jpg

IMG_0800_zps36t2sh2e.jpg

mmmm tasty retrimmed wheel!

Runs nice, drives good, sounds mean. Will post up some more pics after I get it clay barred and waxed

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Took a better look at it tonight, 60mm bolt spacing on the front hubs, newish looking sportline springs, poly dogbone (purple or blue bush by the looks of it) Brakes, etc look good. Only question I have is the idle seems to be just at/right below 1k when warm (temp gauge stays dead in the middle where it should, and rev counter does not fluctuate), does that point to a possible remap? Also for having a decat it does not smell of petrol when idling, also no serv light is illuminated (it goes out after start like it should) I will have to re-spray the alloys and the bonnet needs touched up.

I will be interested to know what you guys think about the idle.

Mapped but very much doubt it has 197 cams then as mine ticks over at around 1100 or something to stop it stalling all the time.
Sounds like you got a good deal out of it though!

BG Clio 182
Mapped but very much doubt it has 197 cams then as mine ticks over at around 1100 or something to stop it stalling all the time.
Sounds like you got a good deal out of it though!
After driving it for a few days it DOES idle around 1100 when fully warmed up (temp gauge dead in the middle) Is there any other way to verify if it has cams? The car feels completely different (much faster, throatier and responsive) than my stock 182 did.

BG Clio 182
You can get a signal splitter for the original car ariel that will do away with the windscreen mounted DAB antennae, works a treat and neatens things up abit.

Miles are less important on the Clio, most important thing is the most recent belt change and thats been done on yours so you're laughing really.
Do I get the signal splitter for amplified or non-amplified factory aerial?