ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of a 172...

Z4
I've been thinking for abit now that i wouldn't mind getting my hands on the clio 172, however i do have a few questions first! I was origionally going to save up for a phase 2, but i could save a couple of grand by getting the phase 1 and imo the exterior looks better :) Whats the difference in the two? - performance/handling. Don't think I'll be getting the cup as I want the gadgets on the inside, what does the 172 non cup come with? reaslise the phase 2 has xeon headlights, leather, abs, traction but does the phase 1 come with? And finally, what colours does the phase 1 come in? cheers for the help, Chris

Z4
Ok I've done several searches, and found the spec of the mk1. Only thing i really need to know, is what colours they come in? yellow would be ace.. read somewhere the mk1s are slightly lighter giving a slight advantage over the mk2s, true????

MINI JCW
chris_p said:
Ok I've done several searches, and found the spec of the mk1. Only thing i really need to know, is what colours they come in? yellow would be ace.. read somewhere the mk1s are slightly lighter giving a slight advantage over the mk2s, true????

yes they are lighter but the interior isnt as nice

X-172 Cup
mostly Metallic silver - Iceberg (rare) or Titanium
some Met reds / blues but these are rarer
Scarab Green for the Exclusive

172 Ph1's are rarer than the Ph2's :cool: , they only came out in 2000 and they changed to Ph2 Mid 2001, meaning they were only in production for a year and a half if that...white dials on the Phase 1 172 :cool:

RB 200 Cup!
not hardly any differecne between ph1 and ph2's - if you could stretch it id say go for a ph2 as they look nicer plus you can pick a 172 ph2 up quite cheap now - bout 6k or so

X-172 Cup
Prices Phase 1's £2500 (for high mileage knacker) to £5000 for a mint Exclusive
Prices Phase 2's £4000 (ditto) to £7000 +
*Depreciation is worse on the Mark 2's especially the Cup - Ph1's values are dropping less

*source Glass's

182 Trophy & Megabusa
I was torn between the mk1 and mk2 aswell but im going for the mk1 so i can have more money to spend on tuning.

As far as i know they are almost identical apart from the difference in look....same'ish interior, abs, air con, performance. On paper the mk1 is slightly faster but if you drove them back to back i very much doubt you could tell the difference. I think the deciding factor is 1) money and 2) which model you prefer the look of.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
mk1 172 is the way forward.... Driving position is better, throttle is better, handling is sharper, and they're not so common ;)

go for the mk2 mate i think the interior of the mk1 dash is just fricken aweful but not taking anything away from them they are still very nice cars i think the performance is identical mate but obviously the mk1's you dont see many around i looked at yellow one before i got my mk2 and it looked amazing!!! pus you get a cassette player in the mk1 (i know changer under seat etc) so you can be more retro lol whatever you decide you will not regret it mate

Z4
Nice, cheers for the replies. Just for the value for money factor, i might get the mk1, has anyone got any pictures of the dash? Everyone wants a faster car than their dad lol, do you think it could out perform a 3.0 jaguar x type?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
chris_p said:
Nice, cheers for the replies. Just for the value for money factor, i might get the mk1, has anyone got any pictures of the dash? Everyone wants a faster car than their dad lol, do you think it could out perform a 3.0 jaguar x type?

Yes. Easily.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
chris_p said:
i wouldn't say easily... its 4wd, 0-60 is 6.6, and its a 3.0!

It wallows like a drunken whale, and the brakes can't stop it anywhere near quick enough.
If your talking 0-70, then the jag would have it, but how many times do you do that? I'm talking about normal day to day driving, coming off roundabouts, braking for bends etc.

LY V6 with Recaros
Theres a mk1 down my road in flame red, it looks lovely! I was never a fan of the mk1's before, but they've grown on me now.

Clio 172 mk2
Don't think it really matters that much..personally I think if you can stretch to the the Mk2 I'd go for it as it's a better looking car.

Whatever you go for they are serious fun and reasonably economical/easy to live with:D