ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of buying an iMac

Cayman S Edition 1
Now I'm doing loads of photography / photoshop, I've been investigating moving away from Microsoft and going the apple route. Just wanted to know people's thoughts on the iMac as an every day pc / workhorse.

TIA

Cayman S Edition 1
Yeah I've heard the rumours about them releasing a new model towards the end of October

Cayman S Edition 1
So ended up buying a MacBook air and an airport to replace my wife's laptop. Will prob wait for the new iMacs now, but have to say I already love macs:)

DB.

BMW 440i
Will be interesting to see the new iMacs.

My 27" is amazing and some of the best money I have ever spent. Love it.

Meg 300Cup
Loved my 24" and 27" but they really aren't powerful enough to run Photoshop, Lightroom and DXO at once, just sold both and got a silly spec pc for under a grand

As a daily retina mbp or iMac are the best (27 inch screen is gorgeous) but for power I needed windows again :(

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Upgraded my 13" i5 MacBook Pro to 8GB RAM and it can easily run all my design software all at once.

Rav4
Loved my 24" and 27" but they really aren't powerful enough to run Photoshop, Lightroom and DXO at once, just sold both and got a silly spec pc for under a grand

As a daily retina mbp or iMac are the best (27 inch screen is gorgeous) but for power I needed windows again :(

SSD would have probably reduced a lot of your problems.

It isn't always the CPU / RAM that limits the performance.

Even though I must agree that photoshop is very ram hungry and most professional setups use a scratch disk too :)

Meg 300Cup
Exactly, getting an SSD in as a primary drive requires taking the glass off the front and that freaked me out lol, i did only have 4gb in both, one i5 the other an older C2D

I love the RAID SSD setup I have, max read theoretically over 1gb/s although limited by sata 6gb/s to about ~750 I think, then I've got a 160gb scratch disk and 1tb storage disk, it's pretty awesome