ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of selling the 182 for a 172 - opinions please

Discounted 1*2 parts
Hi guys i own a clio 182 at the moment and as a car i love it. However i am looking to move out early next year which means i may have to bin my modification list.

I was thinking of maybe selling the 182 and getting a 172 to free up some cash to spend on the mods.

I'm one of these people that are never happy with a standard car, and I know that if i move out with the 182 as it stands i will get bored of it quickly and end up selling it because i wont have the money to buy bits for it.

If i can get a clio the way i want it before i move out then i'll be happy!

Another reason for getting a 172 is they seem to come in better colours! My 182 is artic blue and that seems the most common colour (i like to be different if i can) I love flame red and the blue on the cup. However i dont think i could live without the gadgets (cruise control/xenons etc)

How much should i expect to get for my 182 and how much should i expect to pay for a reasonable flame red 172? My clio has fsh and recent cambelt - vgc its whitelys old one off here. i would return it to standard and sell the exhaust/springs etc on.

P1010077.jpg

SQ5
You could keep most of the mods and put them onto the 172. You probably won't save much going down to a 172, unless you went to a Ph1. Which are a rarer car, especially in flame red!

Discounted 1*2 parts
dont take it the wrong way but i dont really like the ph1's

love the shape of the ph2's

just been having a look on PH and £3700 seems to be the going rate for a 172 ph2 and around £5500-£6000 for my 182

would free up a fair bit of cash to pay for mods

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Personally i would be looking to get a Phase 1 172 if you enjoy the Renault Sport range.

I think its a good compromise between comfort and raw driving, over and above you will have more cash in your sky-rocket over getting a Ph2 which tbh your only getting Xenon headlights above the Ph1... (IMO)

Its as quick as a 182 and im in no doubt its a rawer experience

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't bother really, you may free up £1-2K but you dont know about the other car and you spend that repairing it, getting it up to scratch. Whereas you know your car and that it is a good un.

Personally i wouldn't change to a 172 unless it was a ph1, which are really growing on me at the moment.

Discounted 1*2 parts
as already said ph1 isnt an option as i love the ph2 shape

i work for renault so general repairs aren't too much of a worry

sounds like you guys are talking me out of it but i'm convinced its the right thing to do arggg!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
as already said ph1 isnt an option as i love the ph2 shape

i work for renault so general repairs aren't too much of a worry

sounds like you guys are talking me out of it but i'm convinced its the right thing to do arggg!!

So you want to spend more money on somthing that is essesntially the same car...

Throttle cable FTW

*Likes Warren :D*

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
yes in a nut shell as whats the point in owning a car i dont like the look of lol
No doubt. But whats the point of selling a car for one that's not much cheaper, but due to age will likely cost more to maintain, and won't be quite as good to drive?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Is that your clio warren? I'm sure it was a ph2 when i picked them wheels up in Jan?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't bother really, you may free up £1-2K but you dont know about the other car and you spend that repairing it, getting it up to scratch. Whereas you know your car and that it is a good un.

Personally i wouldn't change to a 172 unless it was a ph1, which are really growing on me at the moment.

Me neither, better the devil you know IMO.

coiled 'berg
personally i'm not fussed on the 182 wheels, too big IMO.
also not fussed on the 2 tiny standard exhausts, should have been further apart (like 197) thats why I love the 172's but there were far rarer colours made in 182, in my area theres a petrol blue one, very rare.
i would buy a few choice mods then sell your bits to compensate.. i.e. the wheels.

Coupe/Defender V8
None of that fly by willy for me....downgrading to a ph2 172 seems a bit daft really..

<3 wouldn't have it any other way!!!

Pointless exercise IMO, for the cash you'll save you might end up with a Friday afternoon car or simply end up spending what you've saved (or more) replacing worn out/broken parts as a result of the 172 being older/higher milage.

320d
I wouldn't bother for the same reasons as Turkish says.

PH1's are win though. PH2's look like a Dynamique from over 10 meters imo.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
As much as I like ph1's... At the end of the day they are 10year old+ cars and are starting to get on a little now.

Personally I wouldn't bother.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I downgraded my 197 to a Cup. With the mods i broke off my 197 i pocketed about 5-6k. Was going for a phase 1, but as mentioned some near/over ten years old, meh picked up a 47k cup full RSH for a smidge over 4k

Renaultsport
I downgraded my 197 to a Cup. With the mods i broke off my 197 i pocketed about 5-6k. Was going for a phase 1, but as mentioned some near/over ten years old, meh picked up a 47k cup full RSH for a smidge over 4k

you know where its at! :cool:

i had a 182 with both cups packs was due the big service so i just sold it on bought a 172 cup just under 4k and saved over 1k's worth and am happy with it, the cup already had all the belts done new brakes pads and was in great running order

Discounted 1*2 parts
my 182 is due the 72k service but i work at renault so its costing around £100. i've already spent out and had the cambelt done so i think it makes sense for me to keep this one

like all you guys say i may pocket £2000 in swapping but i may end up spending the £2000 (not on mods as i had planned) but on fixing repairs that you dont initailly see at point of sale

i suppose it is all luck of the draw. All i have had to replace on my 182 so far is an o2 sensor. Touch wood!!