ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of trading in R27 for new Clio 200 cup.... opinions?

Megane R26
Sounds to me that you just want the peace of mind of a warranty, so why not just keep your car and extend the warranty?

Mine is also on 26k and original brakes - no problems at all.

Oh and buy the black headlights ;)

GW RS200
I think you might be looking for someone to give you permission to buy one?! Go ahead and do it, I just have :) same spec exactly too!

White clique
Go for the 200 mate. Who cares if there is going to be a hit with depriciation, cars are there to be enjoyed and it sounds like you are keen to get your hands on one.

The 200 has had great reviews, and in white looks superb, i'd go for it.

Nimbus 197
In answer to your question, FF is a cliosport name for the "lux" cars, ie non cup cars.
I would keep the R27, as I think it will hold money better in the long run, and lets be honest, looks so much better than any 200.

But, my descision is because I find I don't drive at 10 tenths all the time, so wouldn't notice the improvements all that much, and I don't like the rev counter or front end.

I understand your want for warranty etc, so if that is a BIG thing for you, the descision is made, just hope you don't miss the better looking car ;)

Cheers....
Think im gonna have a little think... certainly gonna go back to the dealer with a new offer and see if they will move as many people seem to be getting better deals on the 200 than they have quoted me....If they can move closer to £16.5k then I think my mind would be made up

Get a 200, but not on cost savings, because there will be little if any money saved on getting a new one. What you're spending to maintain the R27, you're gonna pay the same for the 200. Plus you've already lost +£5K already on depreciation plus interest on loan and you want to do that again with the 200? At the end of a typical 3 year loan term on the 200, you'd have lost over £10k on depreciation + interest on 2 cars. Like I said, buy the 200 if you really want one, but don't kid yourself that you'll save money buying a new car!!

1- I never said I was saving money- just suggesting the cost of servicing/parts on this one might be better put towards a new motor. I have said many times(and dont really want to say again) I understand the negatives of owning a new car but in my experience have found the positives to out weigh them.

2- The loan would be 0% - as was the last one which I paid off in a year

3- I lost 4.5k in depreciation on this one(dont know how you make it 5k +) but havnt spent anything else on it, and if I lost the same on the next then ive lost £9k in 6 years..... which means im loosing £1.5k a year...... when I was driving second hand cars I was finding the price of repairs, servicing, mot was averaging out at £1k per year..... so its costing me £500 a year more to have a new car every three years than it was driving a 5 year old car. To me the depreciation is worth it to know I have a brand new, perfect car with no reliability issues and no suprise bills... you may disagree but thats why I like new cars....thats why people buy them you know.

4- You say "What you're spending to maintain the R27, you're gonna pay the same for the 200" - wrong- the point is I havnt spent anything on this yet apart form £150 for a service- but if I keep hold of it I will be spending money on it that could pay for a years worth of repayments on a new one and be paying that off rather than keeping hold of a depreciating car..... and if I get a new one and trade that in before 25k miles then I probably wont have spent anything on that either.

5- Dont think some people realise that when you buy a new car in some ways you are faced with two choices. Either you keep it for 10 years+ - get your moneys worth then start again(which would be foolish imo) or you need to change it fairly often to keep the trade in/resale value of the car at a decent level- yes I might be changing this a little premature but thats because I am being offered imo a decent trade in price.

Advice is great- positive or negative.....but I dont really understand why so many of you seem to enjoy getting on your high horse about the pit falls of buying a new car and seem to actively enjoy picking apart every post I make.

Sorry if that sounds like a bit of a moan- I wanted positive and negative opinions so thats all cool and there are some usefull points/advice being made in here and thats what i was after so cheers for that.

Main thing I wanted to know was if people had any main objections to the new clio 200- and if anyone had any suggestions of other cars that are better deals.... that doesnt seem to be the case- none of you seem to have any main objections to the car itself- as has been said its had glowing reports all around.... main problem people have is that they either like the look of my car more/or think buying a new car should be enough to see you end up in a straight jacket.

Last edited:
  GW RS200
TBH if the pads need replacing, it's definitely time for a new car.

Seriously though, since the R27 looks awesome (in a decent colour), and the 200 looks like the front end was penned by a moron, I think I'd stick with the R27.

Outrageous statement! The first clio I really fell in love with was the 172 Mk1 with it's bulldog stance and boxer's lantern jaw. When the Phase 2 first came out I was horrified by the 'beaky' styling of the front end. Eventually I grew to love it while owning a P2 172. It was admittedly carried through really well in to the 197, but seeing the 200 is awesome - its back to that wide eyed manic grin of before, I cant get enough!!

Sorry, from your opening post you sounded like you were trying to justify the swap to a 200 because of costs. I'm not trying to be negative or get on any high horses, I already said go for it if you really want to. You asked for an opinion and I'm giving it to you.

But which ever way you look at it, ignoring depreciation, you will be paying £1333 per year for the next 3 years on repayments alone, then add to that the servicing for the 200. Unless you have a catastrophic failure, , I very much doubt your now paid off R27 will cost you that per year for the next 3 years on parts and servicing, even if you extend the warranty.

Now if your opening post was such that running cost was irrelevant, I'd still say that its not worth the swap since the R27 is already a fantastic car and that the 200 is not a big enough step up to make it a worthwhile change, brand new or not. From a 172 to a 200 may be but not a R27 to 200. But if it's a brand spanking new car you want, well then it's pretty much a forgone conclusion. IMO of course.

Black 197
Dude if you wanna spunk a couple of K then buy the 200..

IMO the 197/R27 is miles better looking than the 200.. I just dont see the advantages of buying a new car over worrying about a few pennies being spent on maintaining the R27... The R27 is never gonna cost buckets to maintain unless something serious goes wrong.. But like experience even new cars are more agro than they are worth

at the end of the day its your money your choice.. Doesnt matter whats said on here you'll still go with gut feeling anyways.. good luck with your decision

GTD, Lupo
Nice one. Was only offered 5.6 minimum and was told they will noit do 0% on RS models, buty that was about 3-4 months ago.

Paul

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
it will undoubtably be more expensive to swap to a 200 rather than just maintain the 197. your maths are a bit odd tbh.

if you want to do it then go ahead, your money etc and if you want a new car do it.

i'm on 36k and i've only had two services and a pair of tyres so far.

I reckon they'll tell me i need new discs and pads but tbh, they still feel good.

for me the best time it sell is just after the 60k. let some other mug sort out the 72k (which is about £850 from renault)

RS200
mate if you like the car and your prepared to spend the money then why not? some people spend money on holidays, clothes, drinking whatever and if u wanna spend ur money on a car then go for it! i,ve got a new 200 ordered and i don't regret it at all.
It is a lot of money but i love cars and i love the 200 so i dont feel stupid at all in buying one and neither should you