ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

This just fell off my 182? Any ideas?

172 Ph1
Idler in question
a229100ae69f7cb5c2e0a5291517a10d.jpg

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Ah amazing.....so I'm using this car to learn a bit but at the moment I know sweet fa about mechanics. Is this something that I shouldn't drive without sorting first?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
It's part of what keeps tension on the aux belt, if that fails you lose the drive to the alternator, power steering pump, etc. If you're unlucky and it gets wrapped around something then it could damage other pulleys. Worst case if it comes off and interferes with the cambelt somehow then you could get valves meeting pistons.

The belt is ribbed so will cope with some slackness. It's possible that the tensioner may be able to compensate but I don't know if it can or not on these.

Personally, I'd get it recovered.

monaco 172
Just have a look under the bonnet with a torch to look down the side of the engine where the belt is

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Still havent had a chance to get back to the car to have a look (last time I did couldnt see anything missing!?) but just from googling the clio 182 idler pulley part the pics dont look anything like what I have sat on my kitchen table, it has no grooves on the outside at all. The inside looks a bit beveled but the outside has nothing to stop a belt sliding one way or the other, or to guide where it sits etc?

Will go get some pictures and post them once I get back to the car.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Still havent had a chance to get back to the car to have a look (last time I did couldnt see anything missing!?) but just from googling the clio 182 idler pulley part the pics dont look anything like what I have sat on my kitchen table, it has no grooves on the outside at all. The inside looks a bit beveled but the outside has nothing to stop a belt sliding one way or the other, or to guide where it sits etc?

Will go get some pictures and post them once I get back to the car.

Doesn’t have guides the tension/other pulleys keep it aligned.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Its smooth, it runs on the back of the belt rather than the grooved side. I still think it looks like the idler and where they sit they are more prone to getting road spray etc

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Thanks so much for your help guys, got under the car just now and here is a snap

20191003_190228.jpg

Looks like something a novice could fix right?

Half tempted to pop the original back on 🤣🤣

Z4x2 & buying a 182
"What state is the automatic tensioner in?"

No idea, which one is that? Can you tell I'm new to this!! 🤣🤣

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Thanks for the help
When you say whole kit do you mean aux belt and tensioner?

Was hoping I could do the idler pulley myself so I could drive it to the garage for the rest as would assume its am easy job just to do the idler pulley right?

monaco 172
As a bare minimum I'd be changing the idler pulley and the belt before driving it again. If that snaps there's a good chance itl take the cam belt out too

The full aux kit is easy enough to change, but does require jacking up of the engine to get at the tensioner bolts so id only attempt it if your confident

Z4x2 & buying a 182
As a bare minimum I'd be changing the idler pulley and the belt before driving it again. If that snaps there's a good chance itl take the cam belt out too

The full aux kit is easy enough to change, but does require jacking up of the engine to get at the tensioner bolts so id only attempt it if your confident

Cheers yeah I think I'll take it to the garage and get everything done all at the same time..

Thanks for the help