ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Three speed auto transmissionl query

Clio 1.4 RT 1993
I have a 95 Clio 1.4 RT and I am comfused by the wording in the manual where it descibes how to check/top up the three speed auto transmission fluid level. It reads:-

LEVEL

1. With the engine running at idle speed, gear in P etc, check the level using the dipstick. If the engine has been stopped for a while, start it and let it run for for a few moments before checking the level.

2. LEVEL WHEN COLD ( When starting the engine or after an oil change)

3. This should never be below the Mark A or above the mark B.

(Apart from irrelevant wording, this is exactly how it is printed)

My query is :- when should you check the level - when the engine is hot or when it is cold? If it is checked when the engine is hot as in 1. why mention checking the level when cold as in 2. Also, do the levels as described in 3, refer to when the engine is hot or when it is cold?

I have read the manual numerous times but just get more confused and as I am about to check the fluid level myself instead of getting the garage to do it, I want to know which method is correct.:eek:

NB. I have inserted the three numerals to make my query easier to follow and are not in the manual

Clio 182
At a guess i would suggest that the level should always be between marks A and B when the oil is either hot or cold to ensure it is never out of the range