ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle bodies using standard 182 ECU?

Renault clio 182 cup
Hi guys, i currently own a 2005 clio 182 and wanting to put throttle bodies on very soon, what i wanted to know if it would be possible to keep standard Renault ECU just remap it or get piggy back system. Or will i have to purchase aftermarket ECU?

Thanks..:D

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Hold that thought for a while. We are still looking at this and as soon as our 182 is running then we are fitting bodies and WILL get it running on the stock unit some how!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Hold that thought for a while. We are still looking at this and as soon as our 182 is running then we are fitting bodies and WILL get it running on the stock unit some how!

Sweet if you could get it to run smooth! ITB's would sure be alot cheaper if you didnt have to pay £1,200+ for another ECU ;)

LY 182
i have heard/thought about this by using some sort of chamber attached to the manifold for map sensor to run off? would be good though

Renault clio 182 cup
i have heard/thought about this by using some sort of chamber attached to the manifold for map sensor to run off? would be good though

that's what i was thinking, making a housing for the 4 throttles that go into one big 80mm intake. That way you could run the senors off of 80mm intake..

172 cup
dont the jenvey manifolds have 2 places the drill, one of which is for the brake vac hose. And the other . . . why not the MAP sensor

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
tap all 4 bodies and into a chamber would be one way but there will be others. Alpha-N should be possible. Good start that they run and drive perfect with no map sensor connected!

alien green rs133
i just bought standalone ecu for <300 bar, worth that much to reduce hassle of bodging original ecu to run itb's :S

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
i just bought standalone ecu for <300 bar, worth that much to reduce hassle of bodging original ecu to run itb's :S

Or likewise is it really worth bodging a wiring loom to fit a cheap ECU that has nowhere near as much control and functions as the stock unit.

If you can use stock then it's always better :)

alien green rs133
Or likewise is it really worth bodging a wiring loom to fit a cheap ECU that has nowhere near as much control and functions as the stock unit.

If you can use stock then it's always better :)

i know you dont like link ecu's :rasp:

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
I never said a word! I didnt even know you were using a link! Also, there are MUCH worse on the market!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You'll never get it working correctly, its using the wrong fueling algorythm, no one would ever select speed density instead of throttle angle when mapping a car on throttle bodies on an aftermarket ECU, and there is good reason for that.

If you want to keep the standard ECU then go for an RS2 instead of a set of bodies as an RS2 working properly will be nicer to own than a set of bodies which arent and still make similar power too.

forgive me, whats an rs2? ive been away from clios for a few years building a track subaru and i want to come back and build another clio? cheers

Fully agree with Chip

A mate of mine in Lincoln had an RS2 on his trophy - stripped with cage same as my 172 cup
I'm running bodies

On a "private road" rolling 40mph start there wasn't much in it
I did over 90mph start to pull away but I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with 190bhp and an RS2
It runs perfectly fine on standard ECU so saves the costs of an Omex/DTA etc..

Bodies do sound awesome yes - but realistically for a jenvey setup even 2nd hand with Omex you're looking at around £1600 - new that's more like £2k

By the time you've got it mapped and bought the ancillaries etc it's a £2.5k conversion

The RS2 was a carbon inlet manifold developed by Stone Automotive - it uses a jenvey manifold into a carbon plenum with your standard fly by wire throttle body
There's a few videos if you search youtube for Clio RS2 I think

I believe they were around £1500 and produce 190bhp (I get 198ish from ITB's)

They produce quite a nice noise - it's not as loud and in your face as bodies but it's still nice

There are rumours of them doing another batch of them as a group buy
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?676181-Stone-automotive&highlight=RS2 - post 16 on that thread

Hope that helps :)

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Just a shame jms went under, surprised someone hasn't reinvented something similar! There must be a pretty big market for it when you look at how everything else is priced! If you want cams your looking at about 1.2k+ including belt change and mapping. A decent exhaust will cost you 300 - 500, the list goes on really.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just a shame jms went under.

They didnt, they just split up, and James Stone kept the rights to the RS2 and carried on selling them under the Stone Automotive name, he just hasnt had a batch made recently so they arent currently available but there is going to be a group buy soon I believe.

I really like how ours drives with one (and also 197 cams which lose you a few lbft and gain you a few bhp, so make the engine very revvy) but obviously as per any other N/A tuning, dont expect it night and day different afterwards.

cup, recovery truck
bumping this up because im so interested got some jenveys myself now own a cup, whats the most power gained running bodies on stock ecu... i read somewere puting the ph1 ecu on to run bodies is this any better, if its the case of making just 10bhp less running stock ecu then stand alone then id rather stick to standard,

also dont know if anyones done this but 2 years ago i owned a glanza i built running 380bhp im quite well known on the gtturbo forum, was running a greddy emanage so im kinda a bum licker of the emanage ecus lol so was thinking about maybe playing with these ecus again

bumping this up because im so interested got some jenveys myself now own a cup, whats the most power gained running bodies on stock ecu... i read somewere puting the ph1 ecu on to run bodies is this any better, if its the case of making just 10bhp less running stock ecu then stand alone then id rather stick to standard,

also dont know if anyones done this but 2 years ago i owned a glanza i built running 380bhp im quite well known on the gtturbo forum, was running a greddy emanage so im kinda a bum licker of the emanage ecus lol so was thinking about maybe playing with these ecus again
don't even bother trying, just pick up a 2nd hand ECU and be done with it

Trophy Turbo :)
Complete waste of time even wanting to do this. The cost of mapping a stock ecu is expensive and I am sure others will agrew yiu cant with out a lot of time get it perfect. Bu the time you do you could have a aftermarket ecu

Myself and Russ purely did his ph1 as an engineering exercise. Just to show it could be done. It never ran PERFECTLY however, for the money it cost to do, I could put up with the slightly poor cold start etc.

cup, recovery truck
thanks for the reply guys i have a friend who used to map sumos cars so i get my maps free so im just trying to budget on everything really now as funding a cage as ive spent loads on this new cup already lol

cup, recovery truck
also guys aint them rs2 like 1500 quid plus so really it would be cheaper to do your own jenvey set up as if your budgeting you could get jenveys up and running for under a grand maybe not with the most expensive ecu but ive seen a few ecus that will do the same as the omex so why spend more for a omex flow away guys tell me what you know :) need help to collect info lol

No you couldn't - nowhere near

Cheapest set of 2nd hand Jenveys you will find is a grand on it's own. Then a really cheap ecu will be a few hundred on top and you'll need loom and mapping.

What's the point in doing it if you don't have the budget and want to bodge everything?
Flog the Jenveys, buy and RS2 - job done