ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle body kit, where/who from?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Need some advice on where to go for a throttle body kit for my cup racer. I want Jenvey taper throttle bodies, engine loom and something like omex/dta for the ECU. Will probably be looking at some sort of digi dash too as i think the cup racer dash is very locked down. It will need to come with a good enough base map to run the engine safely untill i get opertunity to bring the car over to the UK to get it mapped to suit my engine.

Cheers

Mike

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
GEN90 has been mated to the cup racer dash and fully working (you'd need to speak with Andy about the adaption). KTR direct to head ITBs are made by Jenvey. It's the best option for you

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I was looking at this on K-tec's FB page last week, the only problem is it looks like my engine loom has gone faulty so i need a new loom as well which is why i thought go omex/dta. What bore are the DTH's 45 or 48mm? Cheers

Yeah defo - seen what K-Tec have done recently with some ex cup racers and it's quite awesome. Gen90 fully talks to the digi dash. They can supply everything you need

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I was looking at this on K-tec's FB page last week, the only problem is it looks like my engine loom has gone faulty so i need a new loom as well which is why i thought go omex/dta. What bore are the DTH's 45 or 48mm? Cheers

I'm sure they can do you a new loom for the GEN90 that will plug in or you can join to the right wires for the dash. I'd have a word directly about it to be honest.

DTH's are a 45

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
As good as the GEN90 is its quite an expensive ECU, great for a road car where it is plug and play or if you are happy with keeping the standard dash etc in the Cup racer. But the dash in the Cup racers are very limited, they are not back lit so cannot see it at night. Has no speedo function and can only display 1 measurement at a time. For the price of a GEN90 and adapter loom i could have a DTA S40 or Omex 600 and a Race Tech Dash 2 display, plus i need a new engine loom so may aswell just go with something more universal that can be mapped by most tuners.

I just want to buy it from somewhere familiar with Renaults so i know i am getting exactly what i need and a base map capable of running the engine safely untill i can get it mapped. Ktec do and Omex kit but they want around £1500 for just the ECU and loom which IMO is well over priced.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I see some of your point, but if you look at the internals of a newer ECU like the GEN90, it's a decade ahead of an omex 600. The amount of data that's transferred on connection is 3 times the size for a start!!!! the s40 software is dreadful. gives me a headache just looking at it, although their dashes are very nice.

Got a new Canems ECU on the horizon with a lot of new features to suit newer cars including fully sequential ignition and injection for upto 8 cyl, CANbus, digi-dash control, and FBW, but I havn't been given pricing yet.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Hi Mike
I was in the same boat as you regarding the dash , doesn't give enough info at a glance , I got fed up of clicking through the pages to see what's doing what , then keep clicking to get back to the gear display , if you have seen on my project thread I went for the XAP X dash , shows everything at once and you can set up the display to put it all where you chose , I have also gone for the DTA S60 ecu , the S40 wont run all the dash and a flat change apparently , got the local guy who made my loom doing me a new engine and dash loom , got the new engine back in today , so will have all the ancillaries back on tomorrow , need to get the exhaust cut and shut to mate to the 182 manifold , new rad done then wiring , I'm off to Monte Carlo next thursday so I'm hoping to get everything done to drop it off to the electrician so he can do the wiring while i'm away.

I bought the dash and ECU direct from XAP , was about £1700 + vat for the 2 of them , the wiring will be about £200 , looking forward to trying it all out

Just to add I bought my tapered throttle body kit direct from Jenvey , including the carbon base for the filter , cost about £1200 complete , just had to get injectors , I bought new megane ones from the main dealer , and an airfilter

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Your not going to need the canbus feature of gen90 so its a bit overkill for your purpose imo. Are direct to head bodies from jenvey and AT not a bit of a compromise to ITB's, genuine question?

I bought a used kit for £1400 on here which had seen its day really with omex 600, 45mm individual bodies and 90mm trumpets with carbon back plate and large pipercross filter, then rebuilt it and threw away the loom and sensors. Omex 600 can be had for £400. Omex race loom with all sensors including zetec crank and converter box, launch control button and full throttle shift switch was £600 (The loom is really good quality, they build prodrives Aston Martin looms amongst others) then you can get a dash 2 for £500 iirc and a cable that allows the Omex to speak to the dash2 for £80

Your looking at around £3800 (new prices) for Jenvey ITB's with carbon backplate, filter, fuel rail (not essential) omex 600 with loom and all sensors, dash2 and cable. Everything you will need for fit them.

As has been said, speak to Omex and Jenvey direct if that's the route you take as they are a dream to deal with, both company's done work and gave me free parts on two separate occasions.

Racetechnology's customer service has been brilliant on any queries I had about their gear as well, never bought anything from them yet though.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Hi Mike
I was in the same boat as you regarding the dash , doesn't give enough info at a glance , I got fed up of clicking through the pages to see what's doing what , then keep clicking to get back to the gear display , if you have seen on my project thread I went for the XAP X dash , shows everything at once and you can set up the display to put it all where you chose , I have also gone for the DTA S60 ecu , the S40 wont run all the dash and a flat change apparently , got the local guy who made my loom doing me a new engine and dash loom , got the new engine back in today , so will have all the ancillaries back on tomorrow , need to get the exhaust cut and shut to mate to the 182 manifold , new rad done then wiring , I'm off to Monte Carlo next thursday so I'm hoping to get everything done to drop it off to the electrician so he can do the wiring while i'm away.

I bought the dash and ECU direct from XAP , was about £1700 + vat for the 2 of them , the wiring will be about £200 , looking forward to trying it all out

Just to add I bought my tapered throttle body kit direct from Jenvey , including the carbon base for the filter , cost about £1200 complete , just had to get injectors , I bought new megane ones from the main dealer , and an airfilter

Was that from XAP in france Ian, or is there a UK dealer for them? I like the look of the SX-dash they do its a bit cheaper and by the looks of it will fit in the standard dashboard housing. Did you go for 45mm or 48mm Jenveys? I was thinking 48's...

Your not going to need the canbus feature of gen90 so its a bit overkill for your purpose imo. Are direct to head bodies from jenvey and AT not a bit of a compromise to ITB's, genuine question?

I bought a used kit for £1400 on here which had seen its day really with omex 600, 45mm individual bodies and 90mm trumpets with carbon back plate and large pipercross filter, then rebuilt it and threw away the loom and sensors. Omex 600 can be had for £400. Omex race loom with all sensors including zetec crank and converter box, launch control button and full throttle shift switch was £600 (The loom is really good quality, they build prodrives Aston Martin looms amongst others) then you can get a dash 2 for £500 iirc and a cable that allows the Omex to speak to the dash2 for £80

Your looking at around £3800 (new prices) for Jenvey ITB's with carbon backplate, filter, fuel rail (not essential) omex 600 with loom and all sensors, dash2 and cable. Everything you will need for fit them.

As has been said, speak to Omex and Jenvey direct if that's the route you take as they are a dream to deal with, both company's done work and gave me free parts on two separate occasions.

Racetechnology's customer service has been brilliant on any queries I had about their gear as well, never bought anything from them yet though.

Cheers Swede cup, the loom from Omex is it just a universal one or one specifically for the F4R? because i dont really want loads of excess cable everywhere. Do you know if the flat shift on the 600 is variable for each gear or is it just a fixed setting for shift cut? cant see any mention of it on the Omex site.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Get a set of bodies from Jenvey direct, then buy an Omex direct, and buy a Dash 2 direct.
Nothing specifically renault about any of that, any decent tuner will be fine with it, so no need to get hit by huge ktec tax on it.

Omex do various loom options talk to them about it is your best bet although personally I would just get their unmade loom and tailor it to fit your car if I was you, will be EXACTLY what you want then.

48s will be overkill unless you are going for a realy full on engine build, they lose you torque compared to the 45s as the gas speed drops.

Cup In bits
It appears to be more universal but will allow the ecu to be mounted internally which is a good idea with the 600 as its not waterproof.

I have 2 pics that I took when checking the fitment, any excess will be coiled internally and secured to bulkhead instead of in the engine bay.

P1000605.jpg

And this was what was left inside with the same length outside in above picture.

P1000604.jpg

The full throttle shift is aimed more at manual boxes really I think with a switch behind the clutch pedal which you won't use on up shift anyway with a sequential. It cuts the ignition basically or what Omex call scatter spark, the same way in which there launch control works, my launch control will be used as a pit lane speed limiter instead. The ignition is cut over a pre set rpm of your choice so that you can still keep the clutch depressed without stalling. Im sure the switch could be gear stick mounted to allow ignition cut when you want it. Speak to Omex, helpful bunch.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I had relays wired in for fuel pump and fan at a small cost (included in the £600 I paid) which will allow me to scrap all existing wiring, can be seen in above pic. A small loom would be required for lighting circuit.

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
i never did get the idea of mounting the ecu in the engine bay, always thought it was the lazy way! Doesn't really matter how old the tech is really, if its proven to work and is sensible cash that'll do!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Hi Mike

In the same boat too and the Ktec solution is great but if it was 1000 max and i would have purchased straight away but 1800 (800 quid for an adaptor) gets you a better dash as good an ECU as Ian says and a pukka wiring loom too.

Shame try to convince myself to buy it but carnt at the price.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
If you get an adaptor loom made for the cup car from the 55pin engine loom to an OMEX 600/DTA S60 for example what functionality will you loose on the Magnetti Marelli dash ? Would cost 50 quid to make.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
you will lose everything. The MM dash runs a very early CANbus protocol. It's currently GEN90 or get a new dash

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I went Omex 600 with Jenvey's in the end, managed to get a decent condition second hand kit for reasonable money. Will get a Dash2 to go with it, X-dash would have been nice but in reality i dont need a colour display to tell me what my engine is doing!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
you will lose everything. The MM dash runs a very early CANbus protocol. It's currently GEN90 or get a new dash

Not even the rev counter ?

500 quid and you have Dash 2 plugged into the ECU which is miles better i guess and has as much functionality maybe more.