ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle Pedal Sticking?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok throttle body chaps, after cleaning it at the weekend, I felt it was getting worse, on my lunch at work today I got some wd40, sprayed it into the TB at the rotation points of the butterfly, and onto the springs, and a bit down the throttle cable (well as best as I could in situ)

Got in the car to drive home and the difference was night and day, accelerator SO much lighter, wasnt sticking...

But then after about 5x as long as it would normally take to get hot and sticky, it started sticking a bit.

I'm thinking the key is to take it off, clean it THOROUGHlY with carb cleaner or similar, then, the important bit, grease it thoroughly before it goes back on then leave it to work its way in for a while, a bit more grease, and a put it on.

Forgot to reply to this earlier, doesnt matter if mines hot or cold it does it the majority of the time...defo has to be the body itself for me.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I hit my spring with wd40, through the "straw" and quite a bit of crap came out, higher pressure on the spring would help even more I'd imagin. Definately not just need greasing up Jord?

TBH I think mine now needs taking right off, carb cleaner, dry, grease, LOTS, try it then.... but whether I can be bothered or not is another question, I'd prefer to just get another.... lol!

Yeah ive cleaned it many times, must have had it off the inlet 5 or 6 times... Got plenty of grease still on it too... Didnt really improve it at all for me, I think the spring has just gone 'slack'

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Sounds that way, although how does it feel in your hand? Mine REALLY snaps back....

You looked inside the TB for signs of the butterfly catching? Couldn't see any one mine, but have seen people complain of this.

Yeah it still feels very strong, easily snaps back too. Butterfly clears everything on the inside without resistance, think im just going to keep an eye out for another throttle body, not in any major rush.

Some days it will be fine and not happen once, others (like today) it happens every time the car comes back to idle

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My Valver has just started doing this today.

I will just continue to blip the throttle to sort it. f**k all that messing about taking it off!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah it still feels very strong, easily snaps back too. Butterfly clears everything on the inside without resistance, think im just going to keep an eye out for another throttle body, not in any major rush.

Some days it will be fine and not happen once, others (like today) it happens every time the car comes back to idle

Yeah I've got one lined up, I think I'm going to buy it and then just see if I can fix mine, if so I'll sell it, if not I'll fit it.

Daniel, LOL! What is it? Official 2.0 f**k up week?

172 ph-quick
ive got a similar thing at the moment, taken the pedal off and cleaned then greased so thats fine, new throttle cable, and when i had some work done recently at jms they cleaned up the throttle body whilst it was off, and ive greased it up but no success. The only thing i noticed today was the flap inside is catching the body as it closes back to idle, so im hoping i can take a bit of wet and dry to it over the weekend and solve this issue which id imagine would get worse as it warms and swells slightly, which it does.

However it doesnt feel like it sticks enough to give a stiff throttle in the way it is. Like the OP i have to push the pedal quite hard to pull away or rev the car at which point the revs jump up to about 2.5k and to be honest its quite embarrassing.
anyone else with any ideas apart from a new body?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Your problem sounds identical to mine mate, 100% I'm taking mine off again on sunday and gonna try a bit of wet and dry in the body, carb cleaner the crap outta of, then grease it back up good and proper.

New cable has freed it up nicely but it still sticks a little when hot. Think I'll reclean and grease the ICV and TB.

Check your throttle cable end to end:

I have this problem too and changing the TB didnt help. Weekend just gone I removed the throttle cable and found that it was slightly sheared with bits of cable coming unthreaded causing it to catch slightly on the internal cover that it retracts into near the TB end.

Ordered a brand new cable from Renault today @ £20 so ill let you know if this solves the problem - I'd be surprised if it doesnt.

ITB'd MK1
I like to completely submerge the body in de-greaser and scrub it thoroughly with a stiff brush, then brake cleaner to rinse it off, then white grease the spring and spindle

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I wanted to submerge mine Danny, but I was worried about the ICV etc.... will it not muller the electrics within it???

Is there a chance that something is expanding slightly with heat and causing it to stick? so a bit of wet and dry on the inside could help too?

And whats your preference on white grease? I've just been using wd40... lol.

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Dont use wd40, it wont work well. Go to a motor factor and ask for a spray lube for your throttle body, they should give you some white grease. Spray it on the body wen its opened and closed and let it move around. After a while just wipe off any excess grease

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Grease and wd40 works in different ways, dont know exactly how, but it does. Only costs £5 or something, get out there and do it, it'll be fixed!

Last edited:
  172 ph-quick
Took mine off over the weekend and cleaned, greased to buggery every part that moves and i could see where the flap has been catching on the inside. Used wet and dry on it till it stopped scraping. put it back on and its better, but not by a lot. the pedal feels notchy as i push down so driving the car smoothly is almost impossible, and the more i push the pedal down the harder it gets to push (by a lot). gonna have another go at it in the next few days and hope it works but i cant see it, looks like ill be getting raped by renault to the tune of £244 soon:dapprove:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
No, tosser. ;)

I took it off again tonight with danny, and greased it all up good and proper, just with WD40 as I didn't have anything else to hand, it feels better, a lot better. Journey to work will tell all tommorrow. If this doesnt work, the very last resort is trying to get the better grease, then it'll be new TB.

The important thing was we COMPLETELY eliminated the pedal/cable angle, greased the crap out of it and checked both ends thoroughly, its totally fine, pedal movement is fine.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Have you checked to see if the TB holder is returning back on the idle gromit?

Yeah, danny checked it on the tb side whilst I pressed the pedal, once you let of the pedal, (when cold unfortunately) the TB returns all the way back, its quite hard to check when VERY warm as the engine is hot and getting the airbox off is a pain.

Would it be worth checking then? As I can't see any signs of scoring etc? So I don't think its catching when hot?

How did you do this?

Took the cable right off the tb, had one of us in the driver footwell, pushed the cable right through, no fraying, pull it back through as far as possible the other way, far as possible, no fraying on that end either.

From there we sprayed wd40 all the way down the cable, and pulled it to and frow, movement was totally fine, no grinding no nothing, smooth as.

Hope that helps.

Ph1
Nah mate you dont need to tweek the pedal or anything, just wait till its holding the revs up then look in to see if its stuck. Kind of hard to explain lol

I'll post you a picture up tomorrow on what to look for and of a dodgy springed TB and the wear

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well I've just driven it to london, a journey which is 90% traffic, which normally causes at least 30 accounts of sticking, and the result:

Didn't. Stick. Once.

Seems taking it off and greasing it properly has solved it, but I think unless I get something better than WD40 it may just start doing it again.

Nah mate you dont need to tweek the pedal or anything, just wait till its holding the revs up then look in to see if its stuck. Kind of hard to explain lol

I'll post you a picture up tomorrow on what to look for and of a dodgy springed TB and the wear

Cheers mate, I think I see what you mean, heat the car up, wait till it starts sticking, pull get it to stick, then pull to a stop, whip the silicone bend off and look at it to see whats going on?

Ph1
Nearly there mate.

When the car idles high or sticks, open the bonnet with the engine running and you'll see the TB and black cable holder.

2-1.jpg

Turn the black holder anti-clockwise. If it stops the reving and there was a gap (repeat a few times) then its probably either the cable or the spring on the TB.
Bottom pic shows the gromit screw, the holder wants to be resting on this as here. Even a 1 to 2mm gap is enough to hold the revs high.

4.jpg

Depending on what you find above or you just want to just check, whip the TB off and turn it upside down.

1-1.jpg

As you can see below theres a shinny area on the spring where its been rubbing on the black holder thus holding the revs high at idle. The spring has lost its tension so this TB is only fit for the bin.
**NOTE** i cut the black holder back a bit as you can probably see.
A untouched one will be squared off so to see the shine / rubbed area you will probably have to turn the black holder to reveal the problem.
Even tho this TB spring has worn slack theres still a lot of tension there.

3-1.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Hey man, thanks a lot for your post, explained quite a lot, and hopefully helps a lot of others.

Fortunately mine is nowhere in that kind of state, I've done about 100 miles in it since yesterday evening and it hasn't stuck, ONCE! :D

To say I'm over the moon is an understatement.

Going totally OTT with the grease has solved it :) I think it must have been seriously under used / under lubricated / clogged.

Ph1
Its a right annoying problem when it sticks. Nothing worse especially in town traffic with a aftermarket zorst lol

172 ph-quick
so true^ looks like ive managed to sort mine too, took it off again earlier, cleaned it all off as used cheap, white grease before. Then smothered it in wd40 after giving where it was catching on the inside a little rub down. Next was to drown it in some spray grease used for bike chains etc, not the white stuff and it was job done.

However i think the route of the notchiness was the new cable! Even with the body off it was freely moving but didnt feel smooth so i slowly dripped some oil down the cable whilst moving it back and forth and once back together it was spot on.
Can only echo what robbos has said, im soooo happy now its driveable. However now im not spending on a tb next on the list is a set of sportlines and a whiteline arb, roll on payday:D

172 ph-quick
so true^ looks like ive managed to sort mine too, took it off again earlier, cleaned it all off as used cheap, white grease before. Then smothered it in wd40 after giving where it was catching on the inside a little rub down. Next was to drown it in some spray grease used for bike chains etc, not the white stuff and it was job done.

However i think the route of the notchiness was the new cable! Even with the body off it was freely moving but didnt feel smooth so i slowly dripped some oil down the cable whilst moving it back and forth and once back together it was spot on.
Can only echo what robbos has said, im soooo happy now its driveable. However now im not spending on a tb next on the list is a set of sportlines and a whiteline arb, roll on payday:D

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Grease and wd40 works in different ways, dont know exactly how, but it does. Only costs £5 or something, get out there and do it, it'll be fixed!

I think you may be correct.... the problem has started again today.

Oh yeah.

/pissedoff

Going to stop by a motor factors tonight, and pick up some better grease stuff, my tools at home suck though, so I may wait until I'm next at Rob/Danny's to get it sorted....

rs clio ph1 172
So what was the outcome then?
my revs stick i found that the cable needs replacing as it strectched.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Yep- got to sort this with mine. Good thread, lots different ways, hopefully just a squirt with WD sort mine
Doubt it- got a new cable anyway...

Happy days