ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle position sensor fault

Mini Cooper S
Got a strange problem car is starting and idling fine but it seems to be in limp mode won't rev past 3.5k. Looked at connection on throttle pedal looks fine. Another problem when brake pedal is depressed I have zero throttle response. Code reader us coming up with accelerator position sensor 2 of them come up. Anyone shed some light on this?

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Mine was doing that so I took the air box pipe off and cleaned the throttle butterfly with some WD40 and it's been fine ever since

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
My engine management light went off on its own, I havnt plugged in a reader since

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Yes when it was in limp mode, but would go off if I turned the ignition off then on again, then it would drive alright for a bit with just the engine light on before dropping into limp mode again.
all lights gone off since I cleaned it

Canary172

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Yes when it was in limp mode, but would go off if I turned the ignition off then on again, then it would drive alright for a bit with just the engine light on before dropping into limp mode again.
all lights gone off since I cleaned it

+1 for cleaning it.

I had the same problem last year and it hasn't returned since I gave all the connectors a good clean.

Mini Cooper S
Tried the above and still in limp mode :( tried a different throttle body and pedal still the same anything else I could try?

Mini Cooper S
Is there anyway I could get hold of a wiring diagram i'm thinking it could be a faulty/broken wire.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
On a 172 Cup this is 100% a wiring fault and 100% NOT a pedal or TB fault so if you have cash to throw away i'll send you my paypal details and you can load it up as much as you feel like.

It's normally due to a connection fault either at the TB itself or somewhere between the pedal and the ECU. We do loads of them and its always the Cup that seems to be effected. Enjoy searching it out but I promise you it's a simple enough fix once you find it.

Mick

Mini Cooper S
On a 172 Cup this is 100% a wiring fault and 100% NOT a pedal or TB fault so if you have cash to throw away i'll send you my paypal details and you can load it up as much as you feel like.

It's normally due to a connection fault either at the TB itself or somewhere between the pedal and the ECU. We do loads of them and its always the Cup that seems to be effected. Enjoy searching it out but I promise you it's a simple enough fix once you find it.

Mick

Luckily Mick no money has been spent so far just borrowing working parts. I will hopefully be borrowing a map sensor to check that. What wiring should I be looking at Mick? is there a wiring diagram I could get hold of anywhere? I'm loathed to pay out for anything until I have actually found the 'fault' so any help would be great! It's a shame your so far away as I would of come to you in the first place!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Start at the pedal and follow it back to the ECU. I cannot give you wiring diagram though otherwise my access will be removed

Mini Cooper S
Still awaiting my wiring diagram I bought but in the meantime I took it to a friend who is quite handy checked everything wiring wise and seems ok. What I did notice though was the throttle body makes one hell of a noise is this normal? And another thing I have a rs tuner map on would this effect my car being in limp mode? Any other suggestions from anyone i'm at the end if my patience with this now!

Mini Cooper S
Well got in the car this morning to nip to the shops and limp mode disappeared......... then 5 miles later went back into limp mode and now won't come out of it again very strange? !

Mini Cooper S
I also have a similar fault! not gonna get a chance to go through it for a week or so, so keep this updated if you find a problem!

Will do. I was very surprised it actually worked today (if only for 5 minutes) it's been like this for weeks now. I'm going to try a few things tomorrow I'll update this when I do.

Mini Cooper S
Well tried my other ecu/uch again today to rule out that no such luck the only thing that came up on the fault codes was 02 sensor not the throttle body position sensor would that mean anything? I was wondering if there was anyone local to me that would let me try their throttle body? I'm actually started to think I may have 2 dodgy ones.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You are over complicating this, it wont be the TB with a throttle inconsistency issue.

Have you traced and confirmed the wiring yet? You don't need a wiring diagram to do this, just a digital multimeter and some time.

Mini Cooper S
You are over complicating this, it wont be the TB with a throttle inconsistency issue.

Have you traced and confirmed the wiring yet? You don't need a wiring diagram to do this, just a digital multimeter and some time.

Its the only thing left to try Mick ill be giving it a go this week. I'm was just working my way through eliminating things (most likely the wrong and most time consuming) i'm pretty useless as you can probably tell haha. Can someone confirm that the throttle body makes a horrible sound on turning the ignition?

Mini Cooper S
You and me both m8! im gonna go wire testing this week, cant say im looking forward to it. Have you got Clip?

No mate not got clip. I've got this bluetooth obd 2 box and a phone app haha. I've now got a wiring diagram and some testers. Yeah it's finding the time for me working shifts and having a two year old is a killer! Good luck and keep me informed if you find anything!

BG 182
No mate not got clip. I've got this bluetooth obd 2 box and a phone app haha. I've now got a wiring diagram and some testers. Yeah it's finding the time for me working shifts and having a two year old is a killer! Good luck and keep me informed if you find anything!

Snap, im currently just about to start a night shift. Plus have a 4 year old and 18month old. I bought a Chinese clone on Clip and it does the job, its just interpreting the data! Don't suppose you could fire me over the wiring diagrams please mate?

Mini Cooper S
Snap, im currently just about to start a night shift. Plus have a 4 year old and 18month old. I bought a Chinese clone on Clip and it does the job, its just interpreting the data! Don't suppose you could fire me over the wiring diagrams please mate?

I will try mate just got them on disk at the moment and haven't even looked at them yet. I used to enjoy working/cleaning/driving it now I'm just dad's taxi haha