ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

throttle sticking open

phase 1 172
lately i`ve noticed that my throttle is sticking open and while pulling up at traffic lights etc i have to put my foot under the pedal knock it upwards to get the revs back to normal idle

is this a problem with the cable or the pedal or neither

any advice

cheers

Mine did this it was the cable fraying by the pedal and was getting caught. Check the cable ensure its intact. Maybe get a bit of lube on it if it is

phase 1 172
useless ;)

i`l have a butchers and look at the cable mechanism but if i`m not honest not a clue what i`m looking for } )

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
ICV is on the back of the inlet manifold next to the TB. its black and had VDO on it.

99% sure its a cable though.

check at the pedel end and at the TB.

if its not then clean the ICV with wd40 . its held on bu two torx nuts

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
cheers ben, if its the cable how easy is it to replace/ fix?

20 min job.

jack up the drivers side,
wheel off
back of the arch liner off
back in the car and unclip the white clip from the pedel
remove the cable through the bulkhead
make note of its path to the TB as if it isnt routed correctly then it will still stick
unclip from the TB (dont loose the steel clip LOL)

re fit in reverse order

phase 1 172
sounds simple but i have a special ability to muck things like this up!

where can i get the cable / price?

cheers

phase 1 172
meant to ask someone where the cable comes out of the throttle body it goes through a 3 inch plastic cylinder before heading down to the bottom of the bulk head

is this a kind of adjument/ tightening mechanism cuz it appears you can twist it

i maybe talkin utter sh**e tho

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
LOL well a garage will only charge £30 to fit if not :)

check the cable for fraying first mate (both ends)

phase 1 172
i`l check for fraying then, is it normal for the accelerater pedal to be able to lift right up unlike the clutch and brake which only move the one way?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
meant to ask someone where the cable comes out of the throttle body it goes through a 3 inch plastic cylinder before heading down to the bottom of the bulk head

is this a king of adjument/ tightening mechanism cuz it appears you can twist it

yes, it has a clip on it to take up the slack of the cable.

does yours have the steel clip which slots in the grove?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
i`l check for fraying then, is it normal for the accelerater pedal to be able to lift right up unlike the clutch and brake which only move the one way?

yes thats normal as the cable just flex's its not on a solid mech like the brake and clutch

phase 1 172

is this a king of adjument/ tightening mechanism cuz it appears you can twist it

yes, it has a clip on it to take up the slack of the cable.

does yours have the steel clip which slots in the grove?

not sure i`l have a look, do you just twist or is it more complicated than that?

phase 1 172
so can i adjust it anyway using the black bit, earlier you mentioned dont remove the steel clip is that the one you were on about

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
yer, try that too. i ment to say when you remove it.. Do NOT loose it as you can buy them unless you buy a TB for £300 iirc

Clio 172 phase 2 cup
This is a common problem by the soundsof it as my old phase one did this most annoying and its definately a cable issue.

phase 1 172
now your making me nervous ben :)

so just twist ity and it should take the slack out of the cable?

without sounding like a complete dribbler (probably too late there) do i remove the clip before twisting ot leave it?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Look in the guides section M8. I posted a guide to changing the throttle cable recently. It will be the cable that's the cause.

Rob669

Ph1
Cable would have to be pretty rubbered to cause it to stick open so a quick look will confirm for it fraying.
My guess would be the common ph1 172 problem of the Throttle Body spring becoming baggy.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Cable would have to be pretty rubbered to cause it to stick open so a quick look will confirm for it fraying.
My guess would be the common ph1 172 problem of the Throttle Body spring becoming baggy.

I'm not convinced that there is a common ph1 172 problem of the Throttle Body spring becoming baggy. I nearly bought a new TB because my revs wouldn't drop down, but then I just changed the cable (it had been changed 3 months before and was fine until I messed about with it) and I carefully routed the new cable behind the bulkhead soundproofing so it felt really smooth. It sorted out the problem and has been fine for a few months now. It saved me £200 quid!:cool:

Cheers, Rob669

I'm not convinced that there is a common ph1 172 problem of the Throttle Body spring becoming baggy. I nearly bought a new TB because my revs wouldn't drop down, but then I just changed the cable (it had been changed 3 months before and was fine until I messed about with it) and I carefully routed the new cable behind the bulkhead soundproofing so it felt really smooth. It sorted out the problem and has been fine for a few months now. It saved me £200 quid!:cool:

The springs does get week over time and a you need to sort it out some people are lucky and don't though.

clio 172 sport
Look in the guides section M8. I posted a guide to changing the throttle cable recently. It will be the cable that's the cause.

Rob669

Hi rob

I have just brought a clio 172 sport 2000 plate,well inpressed with her but one problem,"reving to high".Could you help the revs stay at about two k then you blip it and revs go to normal i see you have a way of changing the cable do you have any photos a a guide to do this ? please help.Also you said o go to guides and go to m8 cant find this.fist time on this sight.

very kind regards

jason

email address is chrissieclemett@blueyonder.co.uk

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Mine was fraying on my ph1 before so I replaced with a new one and it's spot on now, much smoother. Not that hard to fit in the end.